Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

You would have to make LG a wheatgrass smoothie.

Yeah don't know if I could listen to LG/Turdbowl, luther etc long enough to drink a beverage honestly. For a grown man to believe the things they do is truly insane. I mean hey...I believe that some type of beings are present in the skies of this planet. Having seen the Navy and other videos, i choose to believe that those are visitors from some other place or time. I get that not everyone believes that. But those folks are so completely detached from reality that WE dont even exist on the same planet. At all. Go check out the last couple pages of the gun thread just from today...and thats after the mods cleaned it up. Batcrap crazy.

Reactions: Carl Pickens

Pretty good summary of the WR battle headed into practice monday. Cant wait to see Fingers reports. Its a rite of passage at this point.

I think people will be surprised at Braylon Edwards. I dont expect him OR Matthews to do much this season barring injuries we really don't want to see...but Edwards is the 78th ranked recruit at any position for a reason. You can go watch his HS film and he is absolutely dominant. Big body kid too. I think he will contribute down the road...but look at Nathan Leacock as a cautionary tale. Leacock was ranked 75th out of HS 2 years ago. He is 6ft4ish and fast. He dropped too many balls in practice and was redshirted last season while Webb and Nimrod (same class) both got to play due to injuries to Bru etc.

Matthews is a 5* kid but hes a slot WR in college. So he would have to beat out Squirrel White to start or get much playing time...and Squirrel has BY FAR the best hands on our team, and is the fastest player at UT until somebody proves different also. Squirrel had 8 catches on 8 targets from sloppy Milton in the 1st half vs Bama for example. In the 2nd half they rolled a nickel/safety toward him nearly every snap and shut him down. I dont think Matthews can beat him out for starting slot WR as a freshman, 5* or not. We will see i guess. Matthews is 3 or 4 inches taller and 25lbs or so heavier though...

As for Staley, theres a log jam outside for the starting spot opposite Bru assuming Bru comes back 100% in the fall. He wont play in spring though...so Nimrod, Webb, Leacock, and Staley will get a million reps outside this spring to show what they can do. Based on snaps played last season/production, the order i listed their names in above is the pecking order going into the spring. The wildcard is Brazzell from Tulane which we brought in in the offseason. His 700+ yards and 5TDs last year are far more than Nimrod and Webb managed combined...more than 3x their combined yards and TDs but he had far more snaps too. He is the big question mark in my mind for spring. Seems like if the Coaches felt great about Nimrod, Webb, Leacock then they wouldn't have spent all the time and $$$ to make sure we got Brazzell. How much of the lack of production by those 3 WR was Miltons inaccuracy...and how much was those guys not being able to get open outside vs SEC corners??? We can all remember Squirrel streaking wide open downfield repeatedly and Milton overthrowing him by 5 yards or more despite Squirrels speed...but the other 3 guys? Leacock didnt play at all, but I dont remember Nimrod and Webb running open downfield much. Hopefully Coach Pope and the strength coach has those guys faster, stronger, and running cleaner routes this year.

It will also be interesting to see if Matthews gets reps outside when/if he is unable to unseat Squirrel at starter in the slot. Coaches find ways to get the best playmakers on the field...and 5* kids might not stay at a school these days if they sit the bench all year. Matthews was dominant at the HS all star game though in Hawaii this offseason. Playing against the very best players in his class. He had 2TDs and looked great. Maybe I am wrong about him and he comes in and beats out White as a freshman. I wouldn't bet on it though. White was by far our most productive WR last season...and left a LOT of yards AND TDs on the field because of Milton. He has been beating out bigger and higher rated guys his entire career. We will see I guess. GO VOLS

Reactions: Orangeburst

Pretty good summary of the WR battle headed into practice monday. Cant wait to see Fingers reports. Its a rite of passage at this point.

I think people will be surprised at Braylon Edwards. I dont expect him OR Matthews to do much this season barring injuries we really don't want to see...but Edwards is the 78th ranked recruit at any position for a reason. You can go watch his HS film and he is absolutely dominant. Big body kid too. I think he will contribute down the road...but look at Nathan Leacock as a cautionary tale. Leacock was ranked 75th out of HS 2 years ago. He is 6ft4ish and fast. He dropped too many balls in practice and was redshirted last season while Webb and Nimrod (same class) both got to play due to injuries to Bru etc.

Matthews is a 5* kid but hes a slot WR in college. So he would have to beat out Squirrel White to start or get much playing time...and Squirrel has BY FAR the best hands on our team, and is the fastest player at UT until somebody proves different also. Squirrel had 8 catches on 8 targets from sloppy Milton in the 1st half vs Bama for example. In the 2nd half they rolled a nickel/safety toward him nearly every snap and shut him down. I dont think Matthews can beat him out for starting slot WR as a freshman, 5* or not. We will see i guess. Matthews is 3 or 4 inches taller and 25lbs or so heavier though...

As for Staley, theres a log jam outside for the starting spot opposite Bru assuming Bru comes back 100% in the fall. He wont play in spring though...so Nimrod, Webb, Leacock, and Staley will get a million reps outside this spring to show what they can do. Based on snaps played last season/production, the order i listed their names in above is the pecking order going into the spring. The wildcard is Brazzell from Tulane which we brought in in the offseason. His 700+ yards and 5TDs last year are far more than Nimrod and Webb managed combined...more than 3x their combined yards and TDs but he had far more snaps too. He is the big question mark in my mind for spring. Seems like if the Coaches felt great about Nimrod, Webb, Leacock then they wouldn't have spent all the time and $$$ to make sure we got Brazzell. How much of the lack of production by those 3 WR was Miltons inaccuracy...and how much was those guys not being able to get open outside vs SEC corners??? We can all remember Squirrel streaking wide open downfield repeatedly and Milton overthrowing him by 5 yards or more despite Squirrels speed...but the other 3 guys? Leacock didnt play at all, but I dont remember Nimrod and Webb running open downfield much. Hopefully Coach Pope and the strength coach has those guys faster, stronger, and running cleaner routes this year.

It will also be interesting to see if Matthews gets reps outside when/if he is unable to unseat Squirrel at starter in the slot. Coaches find ways to get the best playmakers on the field...and 5* kids might not stay at a school these days if they sit the bench all year. Matthews was dominant at the HS all star game though in Hawaii this offseason. Playing against the very best players in his class. He had 2TDs and looked great. Maybe I am wrong about him and he comes in and beats out White as a freshman. I wouldn't bet on it though. White was by far our most productive WR last season...and left a LOT of yards AND TDs on the field because of Milton. He has been beating out bigger and higher rated guys his entire career. We will see I guess. GO VOLS
Braylon Staley

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Braylon Staley

I think he definitely contributes down the road. Hard to say when though...and I was high on Leacock too out of HS but he hasn't done crap yet. Staleys HS film shows him as a Dog though. He doesnt shy away from contact...he likes it. THAT might be what gets him on the field early honestly. I think he is gonna be a great blocker...and we are a run 1st team contrary to many folks belief. I really like Staley. He could be special. He is kinda like Bru in that he is very physical but still fast. Very happy we got him.

Us running tempo all the time means that 3 WR are probably gonna see 70 to 80% of the snaps like seasons past. We appear to be really deep at WR this season. Excited to see who those 3 or 4 guys are that are gonna get the lions share of snaps in the fall...

Edit: just realized my post up there is probably longer and contains more info than the article I linked haha. Oh well.

I think he definitely contributes down the road. Hard to say when though...and I was high on Leacock too out of HS but he hasn't done crap yet. Staleys HS film shows him as a Dog though. He doesnt shy away from contact...he likes it. THAT might be what gets him on the field early honestly. I think he is gonna be a great blocker...and we are a run 1st team contrary to many folks belief. I really like Staley. He could be special. He is kinda like Bru in that he is very physical but still fast. Very happy we got him.

Us running tempo all the time means that 3 WR are probably gonna see 70 to 80% of the snaps like seasons past. We appear to be really deep at WR this season. Excited to see who those 3 or 4 guys are that are gonna get the lions share of snaps in the fall...

Edit: just realized my post up there is probably longer and contains more info than the article I linked haha. Oh well.
That percentage is not out of whack. the main problem is that we don't throw it very much. even in 2022 when we had the best passing game in the nation we had a very low number of attempted/completed passes. Pretty sure we were the only ones in the Top 10 with under 300 completed passes, while some of the others *cough Washington cough* had over 400. our offense is just crazy efficient.

even this year we were 50th in passing yards. but only 8 schools above us attempted fewer passses than us. and our yards per completion were 22nd, yards per attempt 20th.

I really don't get the fascination our fans have with the Butch Jones mindset of pulling WRs every other play. It makes it impossible to get into a rhythm, and in our scheme it also gives the defense a chance to sub and rest. it doesn't make sense to sub out at the near mythical rate our fans think we should.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back