Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

I was there from 97 to 2000. Loved every minute of it.

I was stationed on a military base so it was no problem for me to interact with other people who spoke English. I can't remember if there were any Dunkin Donuts in Okinawa but there were McDonald's, KFC, and A&W. The A&Ws over there were like the Sonics you see here in Tennessee. There was also a Japanese fast food chain called Mos Burger. There was also a Shakey's Pizza. As far as restaurant chains went my favorites were Hokka Hokka Tei and Coco Ichibanya. There were several great local restaurants there as well.

Okinawa was also the first place I had taco rice and Japanese curry. I still make both sometimes. There are a few restaurants in Knoxville that serve Japanese curry.

Which base? Okinawa is still a favorite place to me. I pop up some live cams on YouTube just to get a look around. A&Ws were popular on Okinawa even back in the late 60s, but I don't remember a lot of other American fast food places - probably because I never really looked. There used to be a round (the building) hamburger place between Naha and Machinato - can't remember the name but it was local; they had great burgers. Probably the best bargain meal I ever found in Tokyo was a Shakey's Pizza, and you could find McDonalds in almost any decent sized place in Japan by the late 70s.

I really like Japanese curry and fix it from time to time starting with the S&B Golden Curry you can find in a lot of groceries. My wife care for curry, but when my sons and I were left to our own devices, we'd fix curry a lot. I'm not big on seafood, so I had curry almost every day for lunch in the nuclear plant cafeteria - don't think there's ever too much Japanese curry.

Was KSBK radio still a thing when you were there?

VN Store

Back