Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

So going to install new hardwood stairs for a client. Pulled the old trees and there were no stringers. The old stairs were held up by trim boards. I **** you not935639E8-BFF5-44FB-8498-09B8540B3633.jpeg

That would never, ever pass inspection if it were seen...if it was visible from the bottom side, the inspector was slipping big time, and the county could be sued when it failed and someone fell. Those stringers have to be 2x12 SYP, and need 3, not just 2 on the sides. Exception being factory built stairs, but the stringers on the side of them are typically 3 inches, and the risers and treads are mortised in and still welded with nails or sometimes staples. That is truly an amazing picture...absolute FUBAR

That would never, ever pass inspection if it were seen...if it was visible from the bottom side, the inspector was slipping big time, and the county could be sued when it failed and someone fell. Those stringers have to be 2x12 SYP, and need 3, not just 2 on the sides. Exception being factory built stairs, but the stringers on the side of them are typically 3 inches, and the risers and treads are mortised in and still welded with nails or sometimes staples. That is truly an amazing picture...absolute FUBAR

I would have been happy with any stringers at all.
Lol
It was literally held up with 1/4 round.

this is the kind of crap I see when I buy a rental house and have to fix it up to get it ready to rent. I seriously have no idea what people are thinking
They are thinking this is cheap and by the time someone finds it it’ll be their problem.

I had a guy do some tile work for me and he was working on some big house in Cartersville I think. There were some guys laying floor tile in another part of the house, they ran out of thin set and started using liquid nails instead. He said those will pop out in a couple years and that same crew will be back getting paid to fix the problem they created.

VN Store

Back