Official Gramps' Memorial Eternal OT Thread

And traffic light creepers. The ones that stop a couple of car lengths back and creep up while sitting out the light. I generally just let it happen without filling in the gap unless somebody in another lane wants to fill the gap ... really annoying if you drive a manual.

This. Finishing up this project soon and starting another thats gonna be an hour drive each way (despite just being on the other side of Charlotte) with 30 mins of that being stop and go traffic. Might have to park the manual. Dont know if i can handle that mentally every day for months...figuring out options now. Lucky for me, i think i pretty much just grenaded this engine...and my daughter turns 16 in june so the few thousand i have saved for a car is for hers...not mine lol. Great timing. I will figure something out though. Eventually.

This. Finishing up this project soon and starting another thats gonna be an hour drive each way (despite just being on the other side of Charlotte) with 30 mins of that being stop and go traffic. Might have to park the manual. Dont know if i can handle that mentally every day for months...figuring out options now. Lucky for me, i think i pretty much just grenaded this engine...and my daughter turns 16 in june so the few thousand i have saved for a car is for hers...not mine lol. Great timing. I will figure something out though. Eventually.
Hate to hear you FUBAR'ed the engine.

@marcusluvsvols
What's the news on your Honda?

Dont know yet bro. Still driving it around in limp mode. Will go get the codes from the OBD this weekend...thanks for asking though bud. Appreciate you guys. When i find out what the codes are i will post em here so we can either rejoice or revel in my stupidity lol. It actually drives like nothing is wrong with it under 4k RPMs....but thats not even where the Mice on the wheel are hitting their stride...haha. its probably shot man i have terrible luck and make poor decisions too...like dogging the sheit out of a car with 140k miles on it getting on the interstate. Oh well. It will all work out in the end.

Edit :You responded faster than me lol. Thanks bro.

Reactions: AM64 and McDad
Interesting that they didn't do stents through the vein (TAVR). I had two that way - from the wrist rather than the groin. Was far easier than the open heart surgery for the first aortic valve replacement - the second almost twenty years later was by TAVR. Gotta tell you that coughs and especially sneezes are a bitch after open heart surgery.

I can attest that coughs and especially sneezes are your bitter enemy with broken ribs from motorcycle wrecks...and after back surgeries. Oof. Remember those clearly. Everybodys tough until you can't walk or breathe without pain lol.

Reactions: AM64
Been a pretty good week for me. Reno project is progressing. Windows in, passed our rough in elec inspection. Mechanical, plumb and frame inspection should happen today or Monday. Gas supply lines placed by energy company on time. It costs considerably more to replace all the old elec and plumbing but I think it is the right move. The old pipes were so narrowed from buildup they were a future problem. And the original 1950s electrical with all the DIYs over the decades was not a risk I felt was worth the savings.
A long-term (10 yr) tenant family bought a house and they close next week. The couple were practically kids when they moved in and now they have 3 kiddos themselves. I am really happy for them. They don't know this but I always gave them a discount on the rent just to help them out.
Ive wanted to vacation in Tahoe for a long time and we decided last night to go in August for our anniversary. Really excited about that.

Dont know yet bro. Still driving it around in limp mode. Will go get the codes from the OBD this weekend...thanks for asking though bud. Appreciate you guys. When i find out what the codes are i will post em here so we can either rejoice or revel in my stupidity lol. It actually drives like nothing is wrong with it under 4k RPMs....but thats not even where the Mice on the wheel are hitting their stride...haha. its probably shot man i have terrible luck and make poor decisions too...like dogging the sheit out of a car with 140k miles on it getting on the interstate. Oh well. It will all work out in the end.

Edit :You responded faster than me lol. Thanks bro.

Hope it's really nothing major. I've been thinking about that, but haven't gotten into my car innards in several years - so a bit out of practice. A lot of years ago while driving a car hard up a long grade (before check engine lights were a thing), the car suddenly lost power and really limped along until I could find a place open along the road. That turned out to be something (possibly a deposit that broke loose) hitting the plug and closing the gap completely. New plug and no problem ... old Ford straight sixes might not have been wonders in the performance area, but it was hard to really screw one up.

If you blew a head gasket, you should see steam or noticeable exhaust smoke (vapor). Not sure why hitting the rev limiter would cause a sensor to go bad, but could be something that simple. Honda engines are generally "interference type" ... something goes wrong in the timing sequence and valves have a habit of running into the piston. I'd think there would be a good indication if you had that kind of damage. It will be interesting to hear the story. Sometimes it gets weird and logic doesn't seem to explain anything.

My biggest PITA was a Mazda 626 the year before they went to fuel injection - a massive number of hoses and electrical connectors (something over 20 as I recall) to just get the air cleaner out of the way to do much of anything. That car blew two head gaskets because the electric fan didn't turn on when the engine was getting hot in traffic - learned to really keep an eye on the temp gauge and do the unthinkable which was turning on the AC to get the fan turning. I also had to put new rings in because for whatever reason the rings would stick in the grooves in the piston and the thing would smoke like crazy until it warmed up. That car and a Merkur XR4Ti were real teaching experiences ... and not of the good kind.

Hope it's really nothing major. I've been thinking about that, but haven't gotten into my car innards in several years - so a bit out of practice. A lot of years ago while driving a car hard up a long grade (before check engine lights were a thing), the car suddenly lost power and really limped along until I could find a place open along the road. That turned out to be something (possibly a deposit that broke loose) hitting the plug and closing the gap completely. New plug and no problem ... old Ford straight sixes might not have been wonders in the performance area, but it was hard to really screw one up.

If you blew a head gasket, you should see steam or noticeable exhaust smoke (vapor). Not sure why hitting the rev limiter would cause a sensor to go bad, but could be something that simple. Honda engines are generally "interference type" ... something goes wrong in the timing sequence and valves have a habit of running into the piston. I'd think there would be a good indication if you had that kind of damage. It will be interesting to hear the story. Sometimes it gets weird and logic doesn't seem to explain anything.

My biggest PITA was a Mazda 626 the year before they went to fuel injection - a massive number of hoses and electrical connectors (something over 20 as I recall) to just get the air cleaner out of the way to do much of anything. That car blew two head gaskets because the electric fan didn't turn on when the engine was getting hot in traffic - learned to really keep an eye on the temp gauge and do the unthinkable which was turning on the AC to get the fan turning. I also had to put new rings in because for whatever reason the rings would stick in the grooves in the piston and the thing would smoke like crazy until it warmed up. That car and a Merkur XR4Ti were real teaching experiences ... and not of the good kind.

Thanks for this. I remember the XR4ti...turbo manual 4 banger right? Remember seeing 1 as a youngen (Hillbilly McD) and thinking it was cool. I have always liked smaller cars for whatever reason. They are usually pretty quick and fun to drive fast.

Reactions: AM64
Been a pretty good week for me. Reno project is progressing. Windows in, passed our rough in elec inspection. Mechanical, plumb and frame inspection should happen today or Monday. Gas supply lines placed by energy company on time. It costs considerably more to replace all the old elec and plumbing but I think it is the right move. The old pipes were so narrowed from buildup they were a future problem. And the original 1950s electrical with all the DIYs over the decades was not a risk I felt was worth the savings.
A long-term (10 yr) tenant family bought a house and they close next week. The couple were practically kids when they moved in and now they have 3 kiddos themselves. I am really happy for them. They don't know this but I always gave them a discount on the rent just to help them out.
Ive wanted to vacation in Tahoe for a long time and we decided last night to go in August for our anniversary. Really excited about that.

Awesome man. Super happy for yall. You taking it easy on those young folks is where some of that great karma comes from IMO. Bet youve got that in spades. I asked my Pastor years back what the Biblical/Christian term for karma was (telling him that I felt certain it was very real) he paused for a second then said "Justice." Explaining hence that "God always sees that Justice is done whether in this life or after." I think he was correct as usual. "Karma" is what we call the perceived justice that we witness on this side of the grave. Judging by the way that you treat people, i bet you see plenty of good "karma" here on Earth. I sure hope so anyway. You're always really kind to everyone.

VN Store

Back