Official Global Warming thread (merged)

You say that as if China and India are not investing in green technology. They are. Now you can say something negative, and yes, their populations make industrialization a huge environmental problem. But the fact is that China is making serious commitments to transition to green energy.
Cuz Unca Joe told you? Exactly who in China is making that investment?

Reactions: AM64
Last edited:
China is 2/3 powered by coal generation. Solar and wind are each a handful of percentage points. At least they are still investing in nuke but they are hardly the place to point for clean energy investment. They’d rather sell their crap panels here and have the Feds subsidize the installation of it.

Electricity sector in China - Wikipedia
And let’s not forget the environmental devastation caused by construction of the Three Rivers Gorge Hydroelectric Plant.

And let’s not forget the environmental devastation caused by construction of the Three Rivers Gorge Hydroelectric Plant.
Yeah. That’s a huge hydro power generation capacity, which hydro is their second highest generation source, but again you get the feeling that the Chinese aren’t big on environmental impact studies.

China is 2/3 powered by coal generation. Solar and wind are each a handful of percentage points. At least they are still investing in nuke but they are hardly the place to point for clean energy investment. They’d rather sell their crap panels here and have the Feds subsidize the installation of it.

Screenshot_20210221-205225_Chrome.jpg

Those are hillbilly chemists like @RavinDave I’m a hillbilly engineer.
Chemical engineer. A distinction with a difference. More like an over educated plumber. But in industry, the chemists are more likely working for the chemical engineers than vice versa. I have respect for EE’s but not my cup of tea. Full time software development made me cross-eyed, I could only do it for a couple of years.

And? They are still 2/3 coal powered and will be for the foreseeable future. And if they triple their efforts we still smoke them on where are are today with our own efforts and growth.

Compounding percentages are a beautiful thing aren’t they?

Edit: oh and the Chinese have more generation capacity than then next three countries combined. The US, Russia, and India.

And it’s 66% from coal...

Last edited:
Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and AM64
Chemical engineer. A distinction with a difference. More like an over educated plumber. But in industry, the chemists are more likely working for the chemical engineers than vice versa. I have respect for EE’s but not my cup of tea. Full time software development made me cross-eyed, I could only do it for a couple of years.
Ah ok thought you were a chemist. But yeah I get it. The chemists I think come up with the “recipe” including all pressures and heat added etc... and you devise the means of production I think?

Reactions: AM64 and RavinDave
And? They are still 2/3 coal powered and will be for the foreseeable future. And if they triple their efforts we still smoke them on where are are today with our own efforts and growth.

Compounding percentages are a beautiful thing aren’t they?

Cutting fossil while increasing nuclear, solar, and wind seems like investing in clean energy to me. You guys want to keep moving the goalposts for a country that's essentially still third world. What's the percentage of clean energy production in China when conservatives will say "okay, they're doing enough for us to increase our use of clean energy as well"? And also, why are we waiting for them in the first place? Seems like a red herring to me.

Reactions: OHvol40
Ah ok thought you were a chemist. But yeah I get it. The chemists I think come up with the “recipe” including all pressures and heat added etc... and you devise the means of production I think?
Chemists are more involved in research and such, ChE’s generally more process-, .production-, equipment-, and management-oriented. Now I expect some chemist on here will take exception lol.

Cutting fossil while increasing nuclear, solar, and wind seems like investing in clean energy to me. You guys want to keep moving the goalposts for a country that's essentially still third world. What's the percentage of clean energy production in China when conservatives will say "okay, they're doing enough for us to increase our use of clean energy as well"? And also, why are we waiting for them in the first place? Seems like a red herring to me.
I’m not moving jack youre ignoring basic math.

At that rate in 10 years they will still be at 58% coal power and more than likely twice our gross generation capacity. Think about that. Their coal capacity alone will still be more than our whole capacity in a decade.

But yeah we should cripple ourselves in basic energy costs even though we are already ahead of them on percentage mix

Whatever we do will be meaningless.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and AM64
You want me to confirm that they shouldn't be hypocrites? Haha. No, they shouldn't be hypocrites.

However, and I've said this before, listening to politicians and pundits on climate change is what we shouldn't be doing. We should be listening to the scientific literature on the topic. Otherwise, you'll end up thinking the world will be over in 12 years or that this is all a conspiracy.
And when the “science” has been proven wrong again and again?

Why do you bother? Its like talking to a wall.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
China is still building coal plants faster than we can decommission ours. They have more capacity in development to add to their existing capacity than our entire existing coal capacity.

But sure China is committed to clean energy... 🙄

China has 250 GW of coal-fired power under development - study

I’m not moving jack youre ignoring basic math.

At that rate in 10 years they will still be at 58% coal power and more than likely twice our gross generation capacity. Think about that. Their coal capacity alone will still be more than our whole capacity in a decade.

But yeah we should cripple ourselves in basic energy costs even though we are already ahead of them on percentage mix

Whatever we do will be meaningless.

You say you're not moving the goalposts related to whether China is investing in clean energy but ignore the statistics of where they are doing so because they're also still building coal plants. The claim isn't that they're only producing clean energy but that they're making a significant investment in it. Go back up and re-read what was said and stop making a strawman to attack.

I also found where they added 120GW of wind and solar in 2020. More wind than the rest of the world combined last year.

What is the claim that we would cripple ourselves in basic energy costs by transitioning to clean energy based on?

VN Store

Back