Official Game Thread - SECT: Friday, 1pm (ESPN) vs. MSU

I do not remember a single game in Tennessee Athletic history where the team showed less heart and less pride in wearing the Orange and White. They got punched in the nose early and they just flat out quit. They never attacked the rim nor did they defend it. They just flat out quit.
Players play but isn’t that coaching? If the five on the floor won’t dribble penetrate to the rim, then put someone else into the game.

Reactions: theroyz71
There is no way to sugar coat this loss. Aidoo plays good against average centers, but he will back away from the good centers. Awaka is too short and he can rebound but that is it. No offensive game except maybe around the basket. ZZ just went crazy. Trying to dribble thru everybody and some reaching defense. JJJ and Vescovi, don't know what to say. Vescovi's fakes aren't doing anything because he is not going to shoot and when he does he can't throw it in the ocean. The complimentary players are awful right now. I will give it to Mashack, he is one hard playing dude. He deserves playing time. Very disappointing loss.

Good to see Estrella get some minutes today.

Reactions: oldaaucoach
Anyone have any session tickets for Saturday they want to get rid of? Sorry for the late notice but I've got a good friend that needs two to 4. I'll post contact info if this is a positive.

According to Ron Slay yesterday on 104.5 The Zone, we held a “rough” practice and looked dialed in and playing aggressive defense against one another. He said he was there for an hour and Knecht only missed one shot during the whole thing.
They are young athletes and well conditioned. But I wonder if this team is tired? They’ve had five days and it’s spring break (no classes).

Today is Friday. Championship is Sunday. So that’s two days. The caller said TN would get an extra week’s rest, which is incorrect.
... but there is logic behind wanting to avoid 3 games in 3 days, especially when the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee doesn't seem to emphasize conference tournament games when filling out the grid.

I wouldn't say that Tennessee didn't care, but they didn't play with a sense of urgency. Winning the SEC Tournament did nothing for us in 2022. Not in terms of seeding, or in terms of momentum going into the NCAA Tournament.

I hate how we played, but I can't bring myself to believe that losing today is that big a deal either.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned. Caleb Calhoun from off the hook says Barnes and team tanked this game on purpose because the NCAA doesn't reward conference tournament wins in seeding

They are young athletes and well conditioned. But I wonder if this team is tired? They’ve had five days and it’s spring break (no classes).

The one silver-lining of this drubbing and my lynchpin. Losing a one-seed sucks, but I'm glad they'll have (presumably) six days of rest because (clearly) this six-day reprieve wasn't enough.

This is why you don't rest too much. Too much mental time for 18-24 year olds. Cold as ice.
That’s a good point and one that contradicts those who say extra rest helps.

It’s similar to the NFl and first week byes. The players are well rested but come out rusty during divisional round.

Basketball is different so I don’t know if this teen is tired or had too much time on its hands this week.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Same as the past, I think we win 2 (Sweet 16) and then get knocked out. I would be surprised if we go further. 2nd Round exit seems plausible now after today but I think we will get past 2nd round.
I can’t disagree after watching the last few games. But I will be highly disappointed if we don’t go to the final four.

This is not the end of the world. If they make the Final Four, this is easily forgotten. I have to think that a lack of motivation was at least partially to blame for today. It's much worse than we have played all season.
I can’t believe lack of motivation was an issue since competitors compete and strive to win every game. Plus they were fighting for a one seed.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Agreed.

In fairness to Barnes, it was a worthy goal in the beginning/middle part of the season.

Where I think he went wrong was not abandoning that goal towards the middle/end of the season for younger guys that might be able to contribute now.
This I agree with. Honestly, maybe go with Shack and Gainey and bring SV and JJJ in from the bench. Aidoo has got to be more physical and not be intimidated when he goes against these type teams

Reactions: PKT_VOL

VN Store

Back