Official: Entire 2019 class is staying

The comments from all three are exactly what you'd hope to hear. Actually nice that they were a little upset by Holly's firing (loyalty) but excited that Kellie was hired. It seems that they're aware of her history.

Also great that they're emphasizing tbeir commitment to restoring the program and that the legacy is important to them. The fact that they mention the current players indicating that they want to work hard to redeem themselves indicates that reality check has occurred and change is the new standard. And they seem confident that Kellie can get them there.

First time in several seasons that I'm really excited about opening day.

It seems that it was important to all three that a former Lady Vol player would be their new coach...

Malika Horston, the mother of Jordan, said it felt like Christmas Eve when she awoke early Tuesday morning to breaking news that Harper had been hired.

“I was excited and nervous,” Malika Horston said. “It was mixed emotions.”

Jordan doesn’t even turn 18 years old until May 21. To hear Harper’s voice on the phone was a relief for mama.

“I was just glad we got a chance to speak to her,” Horston said. “It was a very nice conversation. I had a good vibe with her. She said some very promising things that assured me about Jordan’s decision to stay the course.”

The families of all three recruits expressed their love and well-wishes for Warlick and how the news of Harper’s hiring was bittersweet.

“I think we’re relieved that they found a woman to coach Tennessee who was a Lady Vol,” said Andrea Saunders, the mother of Emily. “We feel comfortable with her. She told us she would take care of her daughter, and she has children, so she understands. She won’t turn everything upside-down.”

Saunders said Fulmer had remained in touch with the family throughout the process, and that helped ease their minds.

Harper spoke to the parents during the day and then connected with the recruits in the evening.

“I could tell she’s full of energy and excited as well,” said Tammy Brown, the mother of Tamari. “Her first question was, ‘How is Tamari?’ ”

Brown had followed a methodical two-year process during Tamari’s recruitment to take unofficial visits and establish relationships with coaching staffs before making a decision. Tamari committed to Tennessee last summer because "it felt like home." The news about the current staff’s departure shook the family and rattled the recruits – “This is their life,” Horston pointed out – because those relationships were suddenly severed. It was a jolting and emotional situation for the families.

“One of the biggest things I liked about UT is their support and dedication to the women’s program,” Brown said. “I was waiting impatiently to see if they would hire a man or hire a woman, not just any woman, but one that understood what it’s like to be dedicated to the women’s basketball legacy at UT.”

Harper’s calls brought calm to the parents and assured the recruits how much she wanted them at Tennessee. For Brown, the announcement about Harper signaled to her that all was well in Knoxville.

When I saw her name … I knew the legacy would carry on,” Brown said. “She has lived it personally. I am glad the decision has been made. Now, let’s move forward in building our relationships.”

While the three recruits have signed, a fourth player committed last month. Jessie Rennie, a Class of 2019 shooting guard from Australia, had been scheduled to visit the weekend of March 30, but the trip was canceled after Warlick was let go March 27.

Samantha Tomlinson, the founder of Aussie Basketball USA, tweeted her congratulations Tuesday to Harper. If Harper wanted to reconnect with the Australian player, Tomlinson would be able to facilitate it. Rennie also is aware of the new developments.

-from 247 Sports

Last edited:
This article is dedicated to all of the ‘smart’ posters that railed against Fulmer making a LVFL ‘cheap’ hire.

Looks like he knew what he was doing all along.

It seems that it was important to all three that a former Lady Vol player would be their new coach...

Malika Horston, the mother of Jordan, said it felt like Christmas Eve when she awoke early Tuesday morning to breaking news that Harper had been hired.

“I was excited and nervous,” Malika Horston said. “It was mixed emotions.”

Jordan doesn’t even turn 18 years old until May 21. To hear Harper’s voice on the phone was a relief for mama.

“I was just glad we got a chance to speak to her,” Horston said. “It was a very nice conversation. I had a good vibe with her. She said some very promising things that assured me about Jordan’s decision to stay the course.”

The families of all three recruits expressed their love and well-wishes for Warlick and how the news of Harper’s hiring was bittersweet.

“I think we’re relieved that they found a woman to coach Tennessee who was a Lady Vol,” said Andrea Saunders, the mother of Emily. “We feel comfortable with her. She told us she would take care of her daughter, and she has children, so she understands. She won’t turn everything upside-down.”

Saunders said Fulmer had remained in touch with the family throughout the process, and that helped ease their minds.

Harper spoke to the parents during the day and then connected with the recruits in the evening.

“I could tell she’s full of energy and excited as well,” said Tammy Brown, the mother of Tamari. “Her first question was, ‘How is Tamari?’ ”

Brown had followed a methodical two-year process during Tamari’s recruitment to take unofficial visits and establish relationships with coaching staffs before making a decision. Tamari committed to Tennessee last summer because "it felt like home." The news about the current staff’s departure shook the family and rattled the recruits – “This is their life,” Horston pointed out – because those relationships were suddenly severed. It was a jolting and emotional situation for the families.

“One of the biggest things I liked about UT is their support and dedication to the women’s program,” Brown said. “I was waiting impatiently to see if they would hire a man or hire a woman, not just any woman, but one that understood what it’s like to be dedicated to the women’s basketball legacy at UT.”

Harper’s calls brought calm to the parents and assured the recruits how much she wanted them at Tennessee. For Brown, the announcement about Harper signaled to her that all was well in Knoxville.

When I saw her name … I knew the legacy would carry on,” Brown said. “She has lived it personally. I am glad the decision has been made. Now, let’s move forward in building our relationships.”

While the three recruits have signed, a fourth player committed last month. Jessie Rennie, a Class of 2019 shooting guard from Australia, had been scheduled to visit the weekend of March 30, but the trip was canceled after Warlick was let go March 27.

Samantha Tomlinson, the founder of Aussie Basketball USA, tweeted her congratulations Tuesday to Harper. If Harper wanted to reconnect with the Australian player, Tomlinson would be able to facilitate it. Rennie also is aware of the new developments.

-from 247 Sports

Sounds as if the hiring of a female coach was extremely important to these recruits. Looks like a very good hire by Fulmer.
A female coach that is truly part of Lady Vols history, at that.

Coaching requires a lot of X's and O's type skills and a lot of talent attraction, but if you've got someone players want to play for they will go the extra mile. That was obviously missing before, and I think this hire brings that to the table.

VN Store

Back