Official Coaching Search Thread

They were laughing at UT using a search firm for AD and I have to admit it is kind of silly if you think about it. Here you are the administration and surely you know what your looking for but you hire a firm clear across the country to find a fit for you. All this is such a waste of money, do your job administration and interview who you like. Dadgum we are hiring people to tell us who to hire, how about the administration interview and hire who they are looking for. There are enough good names right under your nose your don't need to pay someone to find you candidates. Pathetic. Wake up Tennessee.

O'Brien seems like a good hire to me, given what we are facing. I like his experience at Penn State when that program was decimated by sanctions. People can poo poo that 7 and 8 wins he had, but given what he was dealing with that was an amazing coaching job.

He's had more success at the NFL level than some really good college coaches. He wasn't a good GM, but I feel like his style translates better to CFB.

This is who I'd hire. Malzahn would also be good IMO. I'd love to get back to the point of being mad at 8 win seasons.

O'Brien seems like a good hire to me, given what we are facing. I like his experience at Penn State when that program was decimated by sanctions. People can poo poo that 7 and 8 wins he had, but given what he was dealing with that was an amazing coaching job.

He's had more success at the NFL level than some really good college coaches. He wasn't a good GM, but I feel like his style translates better to CFB.

This is who I'd hire. Malzahn would also be good IMO. I'd love to get back to the point of being mad at 8 win seasons.
I agree seems the most logical way to go. And that's probably why UT won't do it.

Reactions: UTwild82
I have a friend who played for Freeze at lambuth and he said he loved freeze but he even paid players for good performance back then lol. Not sure if hiring freeze right now is a great idea lol. I think he would be a really good coach, but the NCAA would have there own office set up outside of the facility lol.

For you baseball fans:

When the entire Coppolella fiasco happened with the Braves they were forced to stick with Snitker for 1 year as the interim manager. Three straight NL East titles later, I’d say that worked out nicely. Maybe UT should at the very least go with Steele for next year as the interim, then reevaluate the situation.

I'd be okay with him. I remember his name coming up numerous times when we were looking for position coaches.

To me, Napier, Chadwell, and Fickell are all in the same tier.

Napier and Chadwell are Tennessee guys, which helps. And all had great years this year.

Napier and Chadwell also have shown improvement at every place they have been. Napier has obviously only 3 years of experience, and Chadwell has more, and has done well at everywhere he has been.

Fickell has been outstanding at Cincy as well. Not sure he leaves (his son just signed there to play for him).

But I don't think Napier jumps at just any job. It just depends how he views our job. He turned down South Carolina, Ole Miss and Vanderbilt.

However, he is from Tennessee, and may have a hard time passing it up.
Not sure where he is from Cookeville comes from he is actually from Chatsworth ga I played high school football with him.

The more I look the more I like Herman and Malzahn. Mainly because they have won at programs like UT, can assemble good staffs and don’t have NCAA baggage. They can come in and win quickly. Freeze would be great, but would take either Malzahn or Herman and see it as an upgrade.

Chadwell and Napier would be positives, but never coached at a program like this, so risky, maybe worth the risk.

I completely agree with you... I have been thinking about this alot the past 2 days of guys i would like. As bad as we need/want a championship type program, first we have to get stability, which then can be championship level.

Therefore with that said, in terms of Stability and chances of more, I really like Tom Herman, I will lay out the reasons as to why now
- High Power Offense (which is what wins in CFB now days
- His Floor is 7-5 (HIS FLOOR)... i Believe he would be a consistent winner 8-10 wins a year type with an occasional special year mixed in
- FIT, i believe it can be a great fit, if we take his offensive system and pair him Defensively with Steele, and Garner would be great fit
- Recruiting and people will say he didnt do that well, but he really upgraded the talent from when Strong was there, plus the Rise of the other TX schools get some of those players.
- People say he didnt do well in weak Big 12, but take out the championship part of it, and he beatdown the small schools like your supposed to, he won the games he games he supposed to, hit or miss in toss ups, couldnt beat OU but there rolling so not faulting him, and undefeated in bowl games... if you carry these points over to SEC like i said earlier floor is 7-5 with most likely 8-10 wins average which provides the consistency we need.
- Dont under estimate the mess behind the scenes at TX, we all know how bad the power struggle is here but its worse at TX.
- lastly CULTURE, this is such an over used word in sports, but His players, his teams, play with a confidence and swagger, I think the culture was a little better with pruitt it seems the players did really respect him and care for him. but the players were always playing scared, No agressiveness, no swagger and i think Tom Herman would bring that.

with all this being said, hes not my only choice and not my number 1 choice, but if i am looking at realistic possibilities that would win and bring stability his name should definitely be considered.

I know some disagree and thats okay, we are all part of this VOL Family as fans, we may not agree but we all want the same thing, we just see different routes to get there.

Reactions: gbvol75
If you hire Kiffin you will be mocked relentlessly by the rest of the SEC. I dont care if you go 13-0 every year for five straight years. No respect for that decision. Desperation to reach for some wild card you just hope can turn it around isn't worth it.

You need someone solid, respected, who can rebuild from scratch. Not a hail Mary.

Law making sense, but the mouth breathers prob wont get it.

Think outside of the box. Brilliant coach that never got to truly employ his plan. Jason Garrett.

Herm has been a great fit for AZ State- maybe Fisher could do the same here. Remember Pete Carroll excited absolutely no one when he was hired at SC. I like Fisher as a motivator and if he keeps pieces together I could see him working out.
I don't

Too boring

VN Store

Back