Official Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related (merged)

Based on your recommendation, I will read them. At what age would you recommend them for my daughter? Maybe I'll buy her the set. (She is currently 6.5)

THAT'S where it gets a little tricky Vader. The books get increasingly darker (and more disturbing) as the series progresses. I have never read them to my class as they tend to be a topic of hot debate regarding their suitability. My suggestion is that YOU read them first, then decide if/when your little girl is ready. If you want a quick rundown of the series, IM me. I won't spoil them for you, just give you an idea of the plot lines.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Heinlein has always been a personal SF fav. Never understood why they did not make it into a movie.

Other than that, I read a lot between the lines.:rolleyes:

Just finished an Intro to SQL but I don't really recommend it :p

If you want a fun read I suggest Lamb by Christopher Moore. It's his account of the lost years of Jesus' life (the parts the Bible skips) and Jesus best friend Biff. Please don't read if you are easily offended but there were parts that had me laughing very loud.

Christopher Moore, author of The Stupidest Angel, Lamb, and Fluke

By Paul Cartledge?

Based on your earlier reading list, I would definitely add some John Steinbeck. He's a great writer about day-to-day life.

My favorite is Tortilla Flat (might be in a compiliation)

Travels with Charley is a great one about his trip across country with his dog. The classics such as Cannery Row and the sequel Sweet Thursday are fun reads as well. The Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden are good but much more depressing.

If you're up for something more raw, try some Charles Bukowski. I'd recommend starting with Post Office or Women.

I read The Grapes of Wrath about 10 years ago. Interesting, but very depressing. Why couldn't he have made the dust bowl migration more upbeat? :)

I'll check out his other works based on your recommendation. Thanks. :hi:

My hold request for "To Kill a Mockingbird" came up today at the library. Looking forward to it.

I'm reading "The Black Swan" by Taleb. Its a book about unexpected and high impact events. Sort of a combination of philopsophy, science, math, and economics.

Okay, just finished the 4th Potter book. Wow, i am hooked like a bad heroin addiction. Not kids books, just very great books.

I was thinking about reading Game of Shadows after i finish the Potter books. Anyone read it??

VN Store

Back