Official 2022 Summer Ball Thread

Story time. The summer after my junior year at UT, one of my roommates somehow got a gig as a chaplain in the Cape Cod league for a summer. He had a couple of buddies from high school who were "on Cape" that summer (one who pitched for Candy and the other at Tiger High). I took a megabus from Knoxville to Boston where he met me at the bus station. We walked to his car for me to toss my backpack in and then we caught a train to Fenway. We got bleacher seat tickets for a Sox vs Mariners game that went something like 16 innings. Around the 11th, people started heading home so each inning, we'd get a little closer to the field. For the last 2 or 3 innings we were literally 3 rows behind home plate. I'll never forget seeing Big Papi so close up. I crashed with him for about a week on Cape, just watching ball games everyday. After that, we took our time and hiked/camped/drove our way back to Knoxville through the White mtns in New Hampshire and Blue Ridge mtns in Virginia. Ate lunch at chipotle with Kyle Schwarber right after he arrived on Cape from playing with team USA. The guy seemed like a total meathead in normal conversation, but when he talked ball it was like he had a dang PhD. Pretty cool couple of weeks!

Story time. The summer after my junior year at UT, one of my roommates somehow got a gig as a chaplain in the Cape Cod league for a summer. He had a couple of buddies from high school who were "on Cape" that summer (one who pitched for Candy and the other at Tiger High). I took a megabus from Knoxville to Boston where he met me at the bus station. We walked to his car for me to toss my backpack in and then we caught a train to Fenway. We got bleacher seat tickets for a Sox vs Mariners game that went something like 16 innings. Around the 11th, people started heading home so each inning, we'd get a little closer to the field. For the last 2 or 3 innings we were literally 3 rows behind home plate. I'll never forget seeing Big Papi so close up. I crashed with him for about a week on Cape, just watching ball games everyday. After that, we took our time and hiked/camped/drove our way back to Knoxville through the White mtns in New Hampshire and Blue Ridge mtns in Virginia. Ate lunch at chipotle with Kyle Schwarber right after he arrived on Cape from playing with team USA. The guy seemed like a total meathead in normal conversation, but when he talked ball it was like he had a dang PhD. Pretty cool couple of weeks!
sounds like an incredible time.

Oh my, I had a blast! It's so much fun to watch a game at a ballpark. Except for that one obnoxious dude. Folks in my section were rolling their eyes, shaking heads bc he would not shut up. Every at bat, every pitch, everything. Told the folks: watch this. I went up to the dude, coupla rows over and up. And I said: the fans down there bet me I couldn't shove this Mason jar (plastic) in your mouth. He spouted off some stuff and ended with "I am leaving, go f yourself." I said: I have before and probably will again. Goodnight. When I went back to my seat, one of the women said: thank you, we will walk you to your car after the game. I said: Thanks, but I'm gonna get a pic w Booker. Kingsport won 13-1 over Bristol. Axmen are on a big time roll. I am going tomorrow.1655871485065.jpeg

Oh my, I had a blast! It's so much fun to watch a game at a ballpark. Except for that one obnoxious dude. Folks in my section were rolling their eyes, shaking heads bc he would not shut up. Every at bat, every pitch, everything. Told the folks: watch this. I went up to the dude, coupla rows over and up. And I said: the fans down there bet me I couldn't shove this Mason jar (plastic) in your mouth. He spouted off some stuff and ended with "I am leaving, go f yourself." I said: I have before and probably will again. Goodnight. When I went back to my seat, one of the women said: thank you, we will walk you to your car after the game. I said: Thanks, but I'm gonna get a pic w Booker. Kingsport won 13-1 over Bristol. Axmen are on a big time roll. I am going tomorrow.View attachment 466118

An excellent adventure, Juanita!. So, tells us what Mr. Booker is like. He looks like a nice guy with that winner smile. How did he play that night?

@youcancallmeAl

Axmen, 15-3 on the season, didn't play Mr. Booker (yes, that's what I called him when I asked for pic) in OF. They put him in batting line up late. He struck out first AB and walked 2nd time. But, KPT already had 2 outs, and Booker was left, stranded. I kinda gushed like a groupie when I met him Said that I'd followed the Basevols this season and was really proud for them. Told him that he was the only reason I'd come to the game, and I would def be back. Blah, blah. He was very sweet and appreciative. He does have a great smile! I was startled when he put his arm around me so tight. Hence, my wide-eyed look, haha!

@youcancallmeAl

Axmen, 15-3 on the season, didn't play Mr. Booker (yes, that's what I called him when I asked for pic) in OF. They put him in batting line up late. He struck out first AB and walked 2nd time. But, KPT already had 2 outs, and Booker was left, stranded. I kinda gushed like a groupie when I met him Said that I'd followed the Basevols this season and was really proud for them. Told him that he was the only reason I'd come to the game, and I would def be back. Blah, blah. He was very sweet and appreciative. He does have a great smile! I was startled when he put his arm around me so tight. Hence, my wide-eyed look, haha!

Thanks for that behind the scenes report, Juanita! You do look startled - and just a bit star struck. I hope Kyle gets more PT. I want him to be his best for next season. We're gonna need him!

Last edited:
Another entertaining evening. KPT 12, Bristol 1. Axmen are now ranked #1 in Appy League. Booker started tonight in CF. 2 really good catches. He scored 3 runs, himself not RBIs (I don't know exactly how to word that.) I introduced myself to the REAL Mr. Booker and his wife, Kyle's parents. No, I did not get a picture; I am not that tacky. Home game against Greeneville tomorrow. Y'all have helped to create a monster! PS: Bristol guys' walk up music is silly. I'm sure it's meant to be. But Disney tunes, Barney theme, and My Little Pony song did nothing for their swag, haha!

1655955694690.jpeg1655955798867.jpeg

Oh my, I had a blast! It's so much fun to watch a game at a ballpark. Except for that one obnoxious dude. Folks in my section were rolling their eyes, shaking heads bc he would not shut up. Every at bat, every pitch, everything. Told the folks: watch this. I went up to the dude, coupla rows over and up. And I said: the fans down there bet me I couldn't shove this Mason jar (plastic) in your mouth. He spouted off some stuff and ended with "I am leaving, go f yourself." I said: I have before and probably will again. Goodnight. When I went back to my seat, one of the women said: thank you, we will walk you to your car after the game. I said: Thanks, but I'm gonna get a pic w Booker. Kingsport won 13-1 over Bristol. Axmen are on a big time roll. I am going tomorrow.View attachment 466118
Do you live in the Johnson City area? Is there a minor league team in JC?

There was one, the Johnson City Cardinals. Off the top of my head, Yadier Molina played there. Many others. Now it’s for real young college guys (including some who just graduated high school), so no international guys move through there any longer. The Cardinals became a victim of minor league downsizing.

I live in Kingsport. Sadly, we lost the K-Mets when all the restructuring went down. JC's college summer team is called "Doughboys." I love all these crazy names! My favorite is Burlington Sock Puppets. Doughboys play Axmen at JC on 6/30. I assume start time is 7Pm, but you'd want to check.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Just FYI (like y'all really care): "On March 10, 1775, Daniel Boone and around 30 other ax-wielding road cutters (including his brother and son-in-law) set off from the Long Island of Holston River, a sacred Cherokee treaty site located in present-day Kingsport, Tennessee." Beginnings of the Wilderness Road. So...that's where the name Axmen came from. Don't have a clue about the Sock Puppets. My guess: somebody was stoned.

Should have googled bf I posted. "Sock Puppets" is a nod to the NC town's textile heritage. Now I gotta find out about the "Whistlepigs."

PS: Well, hell. They should have just called them the "Groundhogs."

Just FYI (like y'all really care): "On March 10, 1775, Daniel Boone and around 30 other ax-wielding road cutters (including his brother and son-in-law) set off from the Long Island of Holston River, a sacred Cherokee treaty site located in present-day Kingsport, Tennessee." Beginnings of the Wilderness Road. So...that's where the name Axmen came from. Don't have a clue about the Sock Puppets. My guess: somebody was stoned.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that… 😎

Reactions: Juanita
I don't mean to monopolize this thread...but, I will. Lovely weather for baseball. Temp wasn't bad and a light breeze. Booker: grounded up 1st baseline into a double play. (Did I say that right?? The announcers at the park don't comment, so I am trying to figure this out on my own.) Next AB: well hit ball into LF for a double. After that, we fell behind, and I started focusing more on the team effort. Rallied. Up by 2 in the 8th.Pitching change for Axmen, top of the ninth. After several miscues, pitcher "let" Greeneville clear the bases and then walked in another run. He missed catching the ball and a runner scored. Good grief, he's about 7' tall! He had a bad night. Booker struck out his final AB. Flyboys 17, Axmen 14. Next home game on Sunday vs Bristol (again.) It'll be "Touch a Truck" night. They'll even have a tank there. I could get into serious trouble.

I don't mean to monopolize this thread...but, I will. Lovely weather for baseball. Temp wasn't bad and a light breeze. Booker: grounded up 1st baseline into a double play. (Did I say that right?? The announcers at the park don't comment, so I am trying to figure this out on my own.) Next AB: well hit ball into LF for a double. After that, we fell behind, and I started focusing more on the team effort. Rallied. Up by 2 in the 8th.Pitching change for Axmen, top of the ninth. After several miscues, pitcher "let" Greeneville clear the bases and then walked in another run. He missed catching the ball and a runner scored. Good grief, he's about 7' tall! He had a bad night. Booker struck out his final AB. Flyboys 17, Axmen 14. Next home game on Sunday vs Bristol (again.) It'll be "Touch a Truck" night. They'll even have a tank there. I could get into serious trouble.

Tell them their league’s stat page blows chunks…OP updated, still waiting on UT to put out the real deal.

Sounds like you’re enjoying baseball and supporting a VFL. Good times!

VN Store

Back