Offensive strategy question

How does the offense work with pro style qb's? I see us recruiting pro style qb's and it looks as if we may have one starting this year. All I can think of is Worley. That poor guy took so many hits.

Quinten looks more mature, and accurate, but what's the point if he just gets smashed constantly? How does the system adjust for a slower qb? Are there programs that implement this well?

Man, if this is a serious post, and I thinking is, it just says so much. These kids have never seen a good O line. It's like Marcus spears said last season. "When you have a running QB, the ball is on the ground. The defense has one job. Hit the QB." When you have a great passing attack you keep the d chasing the ball all over the field, you have to guard more then just the QB, and there are touchdowns happening much faster, because the ball travels better through the air. It then opens up the ground game. It makes you multi dimensional. You never really know where the ball is going. There are multiple trajectories to protect. All of this depends on your Oline though. You have to ... and here's the tricky part for some of you... DEVELOPE Olinemen. Just today I was listening to the coach of Kansas City chiefs talk about how there is such a blight on O linemen because of the high school game on college. His words were "you don't just pop out of your momma in a three point stance". This online we got this year has been working towards this for three seasons... we have an O line.... a DEVELOPED.. O line.

When used as play action it can be effective, but as a straight hand off with no chance/threat of the QB keeping, it is a bust.
Not exactly, when the read option is run/RUN/pass then you have to have QB that can make a pinpoint throw on the move. The QB NEVER has to run IF he throws open his receivers. This keeps the LB and DE from being so aggressive and then allows them to be blocked easier. Then, big holes for the RB. You either have to have a great running QB (Dobbs) or a great (we all hope) throwing (QB) Dormady!

Not exactly, when the read option is run/RUN/pass then you have to have QB that can make a pinpoint throw on the move. The QB NEVER has to run IF he throws open his receivers. This keeps the LB and DE from being so aggressive and then allows them to be blocked easier. Then, big holes for the RB. You either have to have a great running QB (Dobbs) or a great (we all hope) throwing (QB) Dormady!

That's why I think QD will be deadly on the roll out, he can zing the ball accurately without breaking stride.

Reactions: 1 person

What happens when you have a true duel threat QB? It all works as long as he makes the right read.

Even running read the QB only needs to make a consistent 4 or 5 yards. Dormandy has a big enough body to do that and is fast enough to get 10 or 15 if they ignore him. JG can do it on shiftiness and quicks.
I sort if expect to see the reverses to be put back in. Dobbs was such a good runner it didn't make sense to run the reverses. We have some maturing receivers that can really run. This takes some load off both the QB an RB.

Wow this is probably the most on topic thread I have ever seen. Thanks for the meaningful conversation and lack of negativity guys!

Reactions: 4 people
You're forgetting something. When Worley was here our OL was straight garbage. Its a strength of our team now.

Also, QD is a hell of a lot more mobile than Worley.

I hope that you are right about the OL. I believe that there must be a huge improvement in the OL as well as the defense as a whole. If the team plays like they did last year they will lose at least 5 games.

How does the offense work with pro style qb's? I see us recruiting pro style qb's and it looks as if we may have one starting this year. All I can think of is Worley. That poor guy took so many hits.

Quinten looks more mature, and accurate, but what's the point if he just gets smashed constantly? How does the system adjust for a slower qb? Are there programs that implement this well?
I apologize for any grammar issues upfront....

Furthermore, I am not exactly sure what your question is, but I will try and answer your question the best I can.

There is much debate on how good our past OC was, but what he did do for sure was cater the offense to support Dobbs legs.... (which doesn't help Dobbs develop as a passer)....

Now with Dormady we will still see some of the things we do well, but I guarantee we will see a differen tone to the offense... that being said we will still see Inside Zone and Outside Zone runs because that is the kind of team we are. We have recruited offensive linemen for the purpose of running a Zone scheme. Since we do not have a "running Quarterback" it will be a lot less Zone read so when they line up in the same Gun formation and run IZ/OZ then know it isn't the same thing. Dormady eill get more opportunities to have reads though... I.E. RPO's (run pass option) so if that force defender (usually a safety, nickel, Linebacker) runs in the "box" (area five yards up and inside of the tackles) then he will rip it out to the slot receiver.

There are several ways to run the offense we run effectively, however I firmly believe we will see a different kind of the same offense that butch has never ran before... (at least not the same exact offense).

Pro style Quarterbacks aren't a hinderance in this offense, if that is your concern. Finally, watch out for John Kelly to have a very, very good year.

Aren't a lot of those garbage OL from '13 playing in the NFL?

That year we didn't have any WRs who could separate or run routes consistently though. There were a lot of times Worley had the time to throw but no one to throw to

I'm amazed at how persistent this myth is about Dormady's supposed non-athleticism, but I'll remind the doubters again: In high school when he weighed 210 lbs, Dormady ran a 4.15 shuttle & an electronically timed 4.72 40 while Guarantano recorded a 4.08 shuttle & 4.65 40 at 194 lbs. Also, Dormady averaged 4.0 yards per carry as a HS senior compared to Guarantano's 2.5 ypc.

Dormady isn't going to run roughshod over anyone like Dobbs did, but his running ability & evasiveness are nothing like Worley's and more than adequate for this offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
JG runs a 4.45 so I'm not sure where you got that fact. That's significantly faster. Faster than Alvin Kamara. Dobbs is .11 secs faster than QD. QD is .09 secs faster than Worley. Dobbs was an effective runner because of elusiveness, not necessarily speed.

So if people want to make the assessment that QD is significantly faster than Worley. It's fair to make the assessment that QD is significantly slower than a dual threat quarterback.

The guy is athletic, yes. Will he make defenses pay for ignoring his legs? From what I've seen, not much. I'm not saying he can't or won't be effective in the system.

This year will be the year of balance in the run/pass. If QD really is as accurate as the Spring game showed, and JK continues to get better as a runner, we could really keep the defenses out of the box and guessing. We've not had that kind of balance in years, and when we did, we were good.

JG runs a 4.45 so I'm not sure where you got that fact. That's significantly faster. Faster than Alvin Kamara. Dobbs is .11 secs faster than QD. QD is .09 secs faster than Worley.

Guarantano said he ran a 4.45 40 twice in June '15, and I don't doubt that he did but it was almost certainly hand-timed. The following month his best electronic 40 time at The Opening Finals in Oregon was a 4.65, which is still excellent speed for a QB and he's undoubtedly gotten faster since then.

Dual threat are a better fit for RPO
Pro style is more of a drop back and line up under center more often

What happens when you have a true duel threat QB? It all works as long as he makes the right read.
Absolutely Correct!
We all hoped Dobbs passing game would have come along better, if it had, even with the oline last year, he would have broken a bunch of NCAA records, but here to this year!!!!!

JG runs a 4.45 so I'm not sure where you got that fact. That's significantly faster. Faster than Alvin Kamara. Dobbs is .11 secs faster than QD. QD is .09 secs faster than Worley. Dobbs was an effective runner because of elusiveness, not necessarily speed.

So if people want to make the assessment that QD is significantly faster than Worley. It's fair to make the assessment that QD is significantly slower than a dual threat quarterback.

The guy is athletic, yes. Will he make defenses pay for ignoring his legs? From what I've seen, not much. I'm not saying he can't or won't be effective in the system.

He will make teams pay for ignoring his legs, simply by him be elusive enough, to give himself enough time to throw it down the field. QD is better than Worley because he CAN move fast enough to get a good throw off. He CANNOT run like Dobbs but it looks like his accuracy is much better!

There's no way JG runs a legit 4.45. Just not buying it. RockyTopInsider said Guarantano "claimed that was his time".....while he was officially clocked at 4.65 at The Opening.

Is JG athletic with outstanding arm strength? Absolutely. But quite honestly, we have no idea what he can actually do. We've seen nothing of him, the O&W game gave us no particular insight one way or the other.

I hope the kid throws like Peyton and runs like Michael Vick.....what do you guys say we let him show us that's who he is before we crown him?

As far as QD or any other qb in our system is concerned, he doesn't need to be an elite runner like Dobbs to make this offense go. Just be decisive in his reads and accurate throwing the ball while being able to convert a few third downs to keep drives alive with his legs.....anything else is gravy.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back