offensive play calling

Jesus, are we really criticizing the play calling? Does anyone remember last year? Play calling this year has been a million times better. Let the guys get the reps, learn the scheme inside and out and the play calling will take care of itself.

i thought we were gonna make it thru a thread without blaming JG for something. boy was i wrong. Sheesh!

I don't think I blamed JG for anything/ Some of the plays are coming in from the sideline after they line up , so the sideline is calling the play after they line up...sometimes. Other times , it seems that he may have an audible available to him . In any case , they are nursing this aspect of his game along . It makes sense , the offense is new to all of the players and the QB has all of the complexities. He is doing a great job IMO . He is much improved from last season. He like , the rest of the team have a long way to go .

The litmus test for this team is the UF game. Simple as that. WVU taught us that this will be a learning, and rebuilding, year. ETSU taught us that we can win on weight and talent against a bad FCS team. Expect the same Saturday against a bad FBS team. When UT is the biggest gorilla in the ring, they win.

So the UF game will tell us what to expect moving forward. This team will get better as the season progresses, but moving from 4-8 just to 6-6 would be progress. Better explained, moving from 0-8 to 4-4 in the SEC is huge progress. If UT can do that, and the UF game is a "must win" for that scenario, then this becomes a 7-5 team. Puts Pruitt in the running for "Most Improved", and rightfully so.

Again, this team will get better as the season progresses, but so does the competition. If we are going to compare UT to another SEC program, let's start with UF...who we get at home; Kentucky, who we get at home; Mizzou, who we get at home; and Vandy, who we play on the road. Win three of those four, and we're on the right track. Win all four, and we're ahead of the curve.

It starts with UF. History favors the Gators. We have learned how to lose to them. Let's see if Pruitt and staff can teach them how to win. Do that, and we're on our way back.

Go Vols.

Considering the situation with our offensive line, why are we not using screens more and using our tight ends. Wouldn`t this help negate the rush some?.

you can't scheme for lack of talent in the line.. when the SEC teams arrive things could get much worse.... there are no quick fixes.. recruit, recruit, recruit.... sorry for the type-o... have to fix the line first... which means better players

Last edited:
Coaches will be absolutely fine, running the ball between the tackles, eating up clock, shortening the game, and trying to have a chance late in the game.. And, IMO, its the right thing to. Be Conservative, boring, but it works
I agree; however, I don't care if it is exciting, or boring, we need to win at least six this year to really get us rolling again. I'm counting on CP to turn the mess jones left around, he [CP] has a huge task, but I believe he'll be up to the job.

Reactions: Nocleats
Considering the situation with our offensive line, why are we not using screens more and using our tight ends. Wouldn`t this help negate the rush some?.
Don't remember being able to run a productive screen for years. Maybe because we don't scare anyone down field. I do agree that RB's slipping out after chip blocks could be used more. If we send out TE, which we need to do more, we'd need to certainly have two RB's kept in for pass protection.

The play calling has been offensive, for sure.
Helton is not SEC material. In over head.

Yes. 2 games in with an OL that hasn't had time to develop continuity is certainly proof of that.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
The screens are too easy to read right now. The O-line will bump the defenders and then let them go on screens. On pass protect situations, they just let them go without so much as a bump....to easy to recognize....smh

One thing I noticed in both games, the OLINE blocked substantially better when we pulled the guard or tackle. Those run plays got more yardage as well! Our zone blocking on runs seem to lack the fierousness need to build a good hole! Strange also that the plays I notice are one where we pulled the from the left to run right. Seems alittle strange to me since the left side is our strongest side, but maybe they just pull better!? I think we are gonna see exponential improvement every week.

One thing I noticed in both games, the OLINE blocked substantially better when we pulled the guard or tackle. Those run plays got more yardage as well! Our zone blocking on runs seem to lack the fierousness need to build a good hole! Strange also that the plays I notice are one where we pulled the from the left to run right. Seems alittle strange to me since the left side is our strongest side, but maybe they just pull better!? I think we are gonna see exponential improvement every week.

They are pulling J. Johnson a lot from LG. For one thing, he is quick and aggressive, but also by pulling him he is getting out on LBs and safeties, who he can overpower. He is still a bit undersized, and needs to bulk up and get more physical, so is struggling to take on DTs and DEs in man or zone blocking. I saw him get thrown aside by an ETSU DT on one play, so he definitely needs to continue working on strength and leverage.

The OL will improve from week to week. Because of injuries lot of these guys missed spring ball, and then missed all or much of fall ball, not to mention were unable to participate in off-season S&C workouts, so they are playing catch-up now.

Reactions: majic73
the offensive line makes it look like every play is a screen at the start of the game, so far.

A bad battle plan executed well is better than a good battle plan executed poorly - General George Patton The issues with our offense are all execution - not play calling. Best example is the busted screen against UWV that goes for a TD except we overthrew the back. For those JG defenders it wasn't all his fault the back has to make himself a good target. You have to give the QB a line of sight to you not expect him to dump it over a defender. As stated by others backs are missing the hole, OL have missed assignments, QB's need to be quicker in their decision making, the list goes on. The good news is all these issues are correctable. I and others have been saying this current team has enough talent to go 6-6 or better but they won't with the current level of execution.

you can't scheme for lack of talent in the line.. when the SEC teams arrive things could get much worse.... there are no quick fixes.. recruit, recruit, recruit.... sorry for the type-o... have to fix the line first... which means better players

Yepper, it's all about the Jimmy's and Joe's and you just can't fix lack of talent.
Pruitt realizes this and is doing his best to put band aids on all the burns.

1536843922230.gif

The line is bad and time will only help if they don't get hurt as they get reps. That was the issue that we had last year. No O-lineman played the same position more than a handful of games at most last year. The real improvement will come when the guys play the same spot for long enough to know their responsabilities and getting meaningful snaps doing their positional responsabilities. It goes without saying that recruiting in years to come should be focussed on offensive linemen if we want to protect our skill players and expand on our play calling.

VN Store

Back