Offense With Philips

Just that I wouldn’t use 2pt% as the justification. I think it’s an apples-to-oranges comparison. There’s plenty of better ways to justify Santi starting over key.

I agree. There isn't one thing Key does better than Santi. I only commented on the 2pt% because it was the area that the poster I responded to claimed Key would be more successful in over Santi, which is absolutely (statistically) incorrect.

Same as last year. Elite defense. Anemic offense, only difference is we don’t have a player who can consistently take over the game like springer or Chandler. Great statistically. Wins most games with ease. Never shows up on offense in the games we lose. March will come down to whether we got hot or not at the right time, and we still will risk losing earlier than we should to an inferior team if we have an “off” game on offense.

Think on offense we just need to shoot better plain and simple and I don’t know how you fix that.

Same as last year. Elite defense. Anemic offense, only difference is we don’t have a player who can consistently take over the game like springer or Chandler. Great statistically. Wins most games with ease. Never shows up on offense in the games we lose. March will come down to whether we got hot or not at the right time, and we still will risk losing earlier than we should to an inferior team if we have an “off” game on offense.

Think on offense we just need to shoot better plain and simple and I don’t know how you fix that.
Winning in march is almost always completely about getting hot at the right time (and avoiding a draw against a similarly hot team by sheer luck). It is what it is. If we’re on, we can beat anybody. If we’re not, we won’t.

He's not a point guard. He's just a guy that dribbles the ball up the floor three or four times a game while we attempt to buy time getting ZZ a rest. This team has one point guard period.
I realize that but the point is he has a some crucial minutes each game and they are usually with a purpose. I was comparing him to the kid from last year who didn't add much for us. Lack of PG depth could be what ends our season. We'll see.

Reactions: ColinS
Winning in march is almost always completely about getting hot at the right time (and avoiding a draw against a similarly hot team by sheer luck). It is what it is. If we’re on, we can beat anybody. If we’re not, we won’t.

Yep, this is a right on post, most don't want it this simple, but it is. A lot of teams will either underperform or over perform and the matchup you get will determine whether you survive an advance.
Take yesterday's game both teams played great D and even with that, both had some open looks they simply missed and Vols just made 50% of FTs and missed some front ends. If either of these teams met a top 10 or 20 D in March and shot like they did both will exit.
It is really simple and sometimes you can get a good seed and draw a team that just got on fire or lucky but it's fun to watch it play out, in this sudden death format.
If you had best 2 out of 3 format the whole thing would be totally different outcomes. (Never Happen)

I think we've got a really good team. But ive been saying all season that our chances at a deep tournament run depend on Phillips' ability to take the next step offensively. His length, versatility, and skill set is critical in creating the offensive mismatches that would truly unleash our offensive potential. He has got to be aggressive from this point forward.
It was about this time last year when KC stepped up. Down the stretch he flat out carried us at times. I don’t know if Phillips has that in him but I sure hope he can take a step forward. He and James are the only ones that can really create their own shot but neither seems to be a takeover guy consistently.

Reactions: keenobserver

meh. March always come down to who gets hot.

And fwiw, elite defense and rebounding makes this team less likely to lose during an offensive drought.

It was about this time last year when KC stepped up. Down the stretch he flat out carried us at times. I don’t know if Phillips has that in him but I sure hope he can take a step forward. He and James are the only ones that can really create their own shot but neither seems to be a takeover guy consistently.
KC was a more polished player at his position coming out of high school. Phillips has lots of talent but still needs to play under control as well as improving his handle, free throw hooting, and decision making. Barnes can make him a much better and consistent player over the Summer and next Fall. I do not think he is a first round pick this year and needs at least another year of individual training and Barns and his staff can do it better than playing in the Europe or some other non-college program. In fact, I think, with another year, he would be a first round pick and be ready to stick on a NBA team.

Reactions: hUTch2002
KC was a more polished player at his position coming out of high school. Phillips has lots of talent but still needs to play under control as well as improving his handle, free throw hooting, and decision making. Barnes can make him a much better and consistent player over the Summer and next Fall. I do not think he is a first round pick this year and needs at least another year of individual training and Barns and his staff can do it better than playing in the Europe or some other non-college program. In fact, I think, with another year, he would be a first round pick and be ready to stick on a NBA team.
Phillips is one of our best FT shooters at 81%.

His primary focus has to be on getting stronger and gaining weight. He has to be able to finish at the rim, and he’s getting shoved around and shut down in the paint by college guys who will never sniff a career in the NBA. He’s still south of 200 lbs and that just isn’t going to cut it in the SEC, let alone the NBA.

I think most of us agree he should stick around. The question is will he? I’m about 60% he goes, 40% he stays.

His primary focus has to be on getting stronger and gaining weight. He has to be able to finish at the rim, and he’s getting shoved around and shut down in the paint by college guys who will never sniff a career in the NBA. He’s still south of 200 lbs and that just isn’t going to cut it in the SEC, let alone the NBA.

He has to be able to finish above the rim

He needs a better handle more Han anything else.

He needs a better handle more Han anything else.

It needs work, but his biggest obstacle to being more effective is an inability to bully his way to the rim. He constantly is knocked off of his path. All the ball-handling in the world won't get him there at 198 lbs.

It needs work, but his biggest obstacle to being more effective is an inability to bully his way to the rim. He constantly is knocked off of his path. All the ball-handling in the world won't get him there at 198 lbs.

I know he Probably won't, but he should stay another year. I think he's projected mid 2nd round which is all these kids want to hear.

Reactions: cncchris33
This may not be a popular opinion, but the offense needs to flow through JJJ, especially during our woeful droughts and crunch time.

VN Store

Back