Offense With Philips

orangemadam

New to posting threads, but in my opinion
we should think about biting the bullet and running the offense thru Philips.

We need something to spark this offense and maybe its time to take the blinders off Julian.

Your opinion?

Would like to see this lineup more

ZZ, Key, Phillips, James and Nkamhoua

Big Santi fan but wished he had more of a inside game. He would be elite if he did. We know he can make those shots but he doesn't attack enough.

Reactions: RockyTopTexas
For the most part he and JJ are the two people we have that can generate their own one on one moves and offense, get themselves open and score.
There is a lot more to it - but he needs to be shooting more than 4 times a game. He has a great, short to midrange game, typically is going to be hitting 60 - 80 percent from mid and close range. I am extremely comfortable with
he or JJ shooting 6 - 10 footers or taking it to the rim and getting fouled. So I would say not necessarily running it through him, but certainly more involved.
He needs to be shooting more than 4 times and the point guard doesn't need to be shooting 13 - 16 times a game unless it is uncontested layups and 3's.

Big Santi fan but wished he had more of a inside game. He would be elite if he did. We know he can make those shots but he doesn't attack enough.
Key over Santi?!?!? Are you just looking to take the contrarian perspective, because I can assure you that is the minority opinion to bench our leading scorer in favor of a guy shooting an almost identical shooting percentage from 3, and 17 points lower from 2, which seems to be your issue with Vescovi.

Vescovi 2pt% - 49.1%
Key 2pt% - 32.0%

You'll have to explain that one to me. Key has the worst 2pt% on the entire team while Santi is the best 2pt shooting guard on the team.

Key over Santi?!?!? Are you just looking to take the contrarian perspective, because I can assure you that is the minority opinion to bench our leading scorer in favor of a guy shooting an almost identical shooting percentage from 3, and 17 points lower from 2, which seems to be your issue with Vescovi.

Vescovi 2pt% - 49.1%
Key 2pt% - 32.0%

You'll have to explain that one to me. Key has the worst 2pt% on the entire team while Santi is the best 2pt shooting guard on the team.

Key has been a let down. I didn't expect him to average 20 a game, but I thought he would be better than what he's shown up to this point

Vescovi 2pt% - 49.1%
Key 2pt% - 32.0%

Yea, that makes no sense. Key over Santi, no way.

We need something to spark this offense and maybe its time to take the blinders off Julian.

Your opinion?
He's not strong enough in the Box, if the outside jumper isn't dropping then he is only helping the opponent. He really needs another year to bulk up, improve his jumper and post game.

For the most part he and JJ are the two people we have that can generate their own one on one moves and offense, get themselves open and score.
There is a lot more to it - but he needs to be shooting more than 4 times a game. He has a great, short to midrange game, typically is going to be hitting 60 - 80 percent from mid and close range. I am extremely comfortable with
he or JJ shooting 6 - 10 footers or taking it to the rim and getting fouled. So I would say not necessarily running it through him, but certainly more involved.
He needs to be shooting more than 4 times and the point guard doesn't need to be shooting 13 - 16 times a game unless it is uncontested layups and 3's.

As I have said in other threads, Phillips needs to shoot at least 7 to 10 times per game because opposing defenses are focusing on Vescovi and Seigler.

He and James need to become the go to guys as this season goes on into February and March.

Big Santi fan but wished he had more of an inside game. He would be elite if he did. We know he can make those shots but he doesn't attack enough.
I think the biggest issue for SV is ever team we play schemes for him. Several times against Gators he had two defenders and a third was in the picture as well. He’s an outstanding passer but with a smothering defense it’s hard to be real aggressive. However I agree when he does usually good things happen.

id like to see the starting lineup be ZZ, Josiah, Key, Phillips, Nkam

run through Josiah first as mr consistent. then Phillips. Let key use his body more ( I always saw grant in him but he has been disappointing). Nkam keeps up what he 2 games ago. let zz avg 10 asst a game

run through Josiah first as mr consistent. then Phillips. Let key use his body more ( I always saw grant in him but he has been disappointing). Nkam keeps up what he 2 games ago. let zz avg 10 asst a game
Forget the blue font?

Your opinion?
Phillips has done NOTHING to indicate this would work. He needs to quit getting shoved around and looking like a new born giraffe out there.

I think the biggest issue for SV is ever team we play schemes for him. Several times against Gators he had two defenders and a third was in the picture as well. He’s an outstanding passer but with a smothering defense it’s hard to be real aggressive. However I agree when he does usually good things happen.
I haven’t noticed that and if true we should have wide open buckets. He has looked horribly slow and cannot Break anyone down on the dribble.

Except he’s proven to be a capable backup PG when needed. He’s also much bigger & stronger and better defender.
Powell played PG at Auburn but wasn’t needed there for Tennessee because we had Chandler and ZZ, so I don’t hold that against him. Calling Key “bigger” is a bit vague, I guess. He’s stronger, most likely, but Powell is 4” taller.

You’re the second person I’ve seen today suggesting we bench our leading scorer, best shooter, and one of our best defenders in favor of Tyreke Key of all people. I don’t get it.

ON needs to get more consistent. As good as he looked against Texas, he looked awful against Florida.
Agree on ON needing to be more consistent, and maybe it’s me looking for any silver lining for the UF game, but I didn’t think he was all that bad on a night when our starters shot 16-59 (27.1%). Sure, he was 4-13 shooting, but he nearly had a double-double (11/9) on a night where no one played well.

Your opinion?
We don’t need to necessarily run our offense through Phillips but it would be nice to see some sets specifically called for him in the halfcourt on occasion. He doesn’t get enough looks. Currently he gets a shot up once every 3.7 minutes played which is basically the same as Awaka and Plavsic. James gets a shot up every 2.5 minutes played which is the most usage per minute currently. Barnes said after the Florida game that we need to be more aggressive offensively. It appears they have handcuffed Phillips. He is doing well if they want his role to be as a rebounder and defender…..but we need him to score, and they aren’t looking for him in my opinion.

You’re the second person I’ve seen today suggesting we bench our leading scorer, best shooter, and one of our best defenders in favor of Tyreke Key of all people. I don’t get it.
Gotta switch it up. Key can play and we are gonna need him come tourney time imo

VN Store

Back