Offense Matters

I personally like how we bring the post out high and run sets off that. We get a good mix of drives to the basket, dump-downs, and kick-outs. Look at our assist-to-made-fgs percentage...it's always been at or near the top of the conference. The problem is the un-made field goal situation - as seen in NY, and last night in bama

Pure and simple, a couple of our 'shooters' can't throw it in the ocean at times. Guys who you'd expect to shoot in the mid-40s barely scratch 30 ( 28% for our 5* forward). Or whatever shooting success they do have comes against the directional schools. Our offense produces plenty of wide open looks......make the damn shot fcol.
Yea, 35-40% would’ve meant 3-4 more made 3’s, 9-13 more points and not only is the result almost certainly different but the offensive output looks just fine…a number of those missed 3’s were open looks, we’ve got to shoot better.

I think this is why we don't go deep in the tourney. We don't have a strong offensive strategy in crunch time.

Defense keeps it close in most games and gives you a chance to win a lot of games at the end, but if you
don't have a go-to offensive player, you lose more than you win against the better teams. Fulky is the closest we have for a go-to big man, but he often becomes too passive.

I really wish we had better a better assistant that could coach bigs. BHH could be that go-to guy.

Reactions: DooleyOrangePants
Santi has played PG, so has JJJ, there are options…did Bama go zone to hide Quinerly or did they bring him back in around 4 minutes remaining and make their run with him having 4 fouls and never fouling out? It was house money, if you lose laying it all out there who cares, we played it “safe” and still lost!
Agree 100 percent. If your on the bench at crunch time you might as well already be fouled out. It like leaving a putt short.

I think the bottom line is we have to make more shots if we are gonna win these games. If the emphasis is more three point shots we have to make a decent percentage. Barnes's bad and downright strange coaching decisions at the end don't even come into play if we make a decent percent.

I think this is why we don't go deep in the tourney. We don't have a strong offensive strategy in crunch time.

Defense keeps it close in most games and gives you a chance to win a lot of games at the end, but if you
don't have a go-to offensive player, you lose more than you win against the better teams. Fulky is the closest we have for a go-to big man, but he often becomes too passive.

I really wish we had better a better assistant that could coach bigs. BHH could be that go-to guy.
I think the best hope is the combo of Fulky and Chandler at crunch time. Right now Fulky isn't consistent and Chandler isn't there yet. I would like to have had them last night at the end anyway.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Agree 100 percent. If your on the bench at crunch time you might as well already be fouled out. It like leaving a putt short.

Who was on the bench? Zeigler came in with over 13 minutes left and had two fouls. He picked up 2 more fouls but didn’t sit at all the rest of the game.

Love our defense and effort but our coaching offensively and philosophy has to be better... What is the direction?
None you see what you get. Shoot and hope we are hitting. If not it will be ugly like yesterday.

I think the bottom line is we have to make more shots if we are gonna win these games. If the emphasis is more three point shots we have to make a decent percentage. Barnes's bad and downright strange coaching decisions at the end don't even come into play if we make a decent percent.
Yup, I’ve mentioned it a few times, we have to shoot better…whether that’s redistribution of who is shooting or what, it needs to be better cause looks have been there.

Yup, I’ve mentioned it a few times, we have to shoot better…whether that’s redistribution of who is shooting or what, it needs to be better cause looks have been there.
A lot of it is getting the right guy shooting in the right spot. I constantly keep reading about us missing open shots but a lot of it is because the defense wants that guy to be open. It's no coincidence that Bailey was the open man on that shot at the end.

My biggest gripe was Barnes putting Bailey in when we were down three at the end. There should never have been a situation where he is the one attempting the game-tying shot. It was a best case scenario for Bama.

Love our defense and effort but our coaching offensively and philosophy has to be better... What is the direction?

Clark and Gainey can bring new offensive ideas to Barnes this season and help him elevate the offense just like Scharwt is the defensive coordinator.

Barnes has obviously adjusted his approach to the offensive side of the floor this year, which is surprising to me considering his reputation for stubbornness. Like many have said, we have to do a better job of getting the ball in the correct persons hands and start making some shots.

When I think of offensively challenged coaches I think of O’Neill and Cuonzo, not Barnes.

What p!sses me off is that Barnes didn't have enough respect for Vol fans to put out the word that we would be minus our two best players going into our the first conference game against a hated rival. He and his staff knew well before tip-off that Fulkerson and Chandler had the Covid and would not be available, yet he kept the horrible news from being disseminated to folks who expected the Vols to go into Tuscaloosa and come out with a victory. Had everyone known that Chandler and Fulkerson wouldn't make it, we would have necessarily dampened our expectations.
Thanks, Rick.
What damn difference does that make? did it hurt the team because you were not privy to information the coach has on his players. Some of the posters on this board live in a dream world.

What damn difference does that make? did it hurt the team because you were not privy to information the coach has on his players. Some of the posters on this board live in a dream world.

Here's a difference: As a follower of Vol sports since the Fifties, I don't recall even one instance of the Football staff (any Vol football staff) failing to put out the word well before the game that our team would be short-handed going into the game against Alabama (or whoever). Why can't the current basketball staff show the same courtesy to the rabid Vol fan base? Doing so has no effect on the outcome of the game, but it lets fans know what to expect, or not expect, to some extent.

Here's a difference: As a follower of Vol sports since the Fifties, I don't recall even one instance of the Football staff (any Vol football staff) failing to put out the word well before the game that our team would be short-handed going into the game against Alabama (or whoever). Why can't the current basketball staff show the same courtesy to the rabid Vol fan base? Doing so has no effect on the outcome of the game, but it lets fans know what to expect, or not expect, to some extent.
Was Covid-19 a thing since the fifties? We likely didn’t know Fulk wasn’t going to play until a few hours before tip since he traveled. Chandler was the obvious out since he didn’t show up to the arena and stayed in Knox. Since Early 2020 sports changed. This isn’t the fifties anymore.

Was Covid-19 a thing since the fifties? We likely didn’t know Fulk wasn’t going to play until a few hours before tip since he traveled. Chandler was the obvious out since he didn’t show up to the arena and stayed in Knox. Since Early 2020 sports changed. This isn’t the fifties anymore.

Thanks for stating the obvious, but I don't see the ratiocination behind equating a worldwide pandemic to a sport.
Pandemics are deadly. Sports are not (usually).
As I recall, there was a rumor posted on this very site several days before the game that Fulker and JJJ had contracted the virus; a rumor that was never substantiated before the game. Since that rumor was never substantiated, I put no stock in it. There was no mention of Chandler as the rumor circulated. The staff must have at least had an inkling that Fulky would be unavailable for the game well ahead of time as even an inkling is enough to sideline a player under the current protocols.

When the information was released (that helps the opponent game plan) in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, the carrier pigeons, smoke signals, pony express, and telegraphs didn’t reach the opposing teams’s staff until after tip off.

WOW! I'd forgotten about that crazy game. Those 2 teams completed more passes than Peyton Manning:eek:
Most boring game of my life. We talked about leaving, but kept thinking that there'd be no way they'd keep doing this the entire time. How wrong we were. I used to really dislike the 4 corners offense and after that one, I truly despised it.

VN Store

Back