Off-season: Time to upgrade OUR game as fans

BruisedOrange

Well... known member
I don't remember exactly what year I began following the Lady Vols, but the coach's name was Pat Head.

Besides Tennessee, I've lived in only one other sports community. We moved to New Orleans the same time Jim Mora moved there to coach the Saints. Their fanbase began to learn that realism & optimism could coexist. Grocery bags reverted back from apparel to logistical. Monks stopped wearing Saints jerseys as cilices of mortification and penance.

Fans still critiqued their losses, mistakes, and slump seasons, but the critical attitude was more of "we've improved this, now if we can just improve that, too..." In other words, theirs was an attitude of ascent. How much higher can we finish in the division next season? Their first step was to beat the perennial division champs, the Montana-led 49ers. Then, to beat them twice. Then, win a playoff game. And eventually some fans began to envision the ultimate dream of a Super Bowl championship.

All of that bayou history to say this:
The only Lady Vols fans I "know" now are from Volnation. But I can seldom stand to read more than a few posts each day. The pessimists and incessant criticizers are the loudest voices in text. To my ears, they are shrill, demanding, dehumanizing, but most of all--and unaceptably--ENTITLED.

Many of the voices here remind me of the institutionalized drug addicts I once worked with--cursing reality and unwilling to accept and re-engage normalcy. Rather, they were locked-in on re-experiencing that last, best high they remembered. The hardest part about getting them beyond that stage was that their constant outbursts of anger were actually pumping more drugs (catecholamines and adrenaline) into their brains. These poor people were caught in a loop of barely sustaining, but never satisfying, anger and resentment.

Please, fellow LV fans, accept that we now live again in "Coach Head" times. Era 2: Season 1 is in the books. Era 1 only exists on DVD.

This is a new journey, and we've only hiked to the foot of this new mountain. There is no "re-" anything for the LV program. There is no carry-over of energy, skill, or magic from decades past, either on the court or in the jerseys. For today's players, the LV history that's so fresh and rousing in our memories, is a burden, a weight, something to be overcome rather than inspire. Today, those banners which provoke glorious memories for us, might as well be made of cast lead for them.

These girls are humans, not trading cards. They are not stats--and if the game was determined by stats, no one would want to watch it. It's the human factor--the will to tighten up defense, to force turnovers, get rebounds and 50/50 balls, to not accept defeat after a terrible first half--that's what attracts fans to any sport.

Women's sports will only attract a limited number of fans. Which makes it even more important that your small fanbase be a warm, generous, supportive family... eager to "adopt" (and accept--the person, if not their choices) each new young lady who shows up to play for your team.

If you've lost that family aspect, if you are only an LV fan because you're determined to re-experience those highs you remember... I'm sorry, but, go away. You are no longer supporting the team, players, or program. You're only supporting your habit.

Bruised Orange is brutal, but right on. I love the comparison to the Aints fans. We're all just working through re-hab at our own pace. I'm about to post an article that reminisces about the good old days that'll make you mad, but I gotta do it. We'll get back to being good fans someday - it's our job to fill that big arena.

Reactions: tn4everlvfl
So in short, Lady Vol basketball sucks and is mediocre at best and if we can't accept that then go pull for UCONN or South Carolina. Got it

I guess I need to apologize to all lady vol fans it seems as my negativity or brutal honesty has led to the slow decline of the program I am really sorry.

Thank goodness...Now we know you were the problem, we can get back to being good again....Just kidding friend.
ZealousUnsungAmazonparrot-small.gif

Reactions: volnationnj and PG1
I guess I need to apologize to all lady vol fans it seems as my negativity or brutal honesty has led to the slow decline of the program I am really sorry.
Ah, that's the spirit. And I need to apologize to all the lady vol players whose spirits have been crushed by my criticism of their in game performance, which undoubtedly they pour over immediately after every game. (BC all college students frequent old school fan message boards full of old folks).

While I'm on a roll, I also most heartily apologize to the many high caliber recruits I've chased away by my armchair internet coaching of their perspective teammates.

The comic self-importance of some is astounding, the utter delusion that anything that goes on around here means a hoot in hell never ceases to amaze me.

I don't remember exactly what year I began following the Lady Vols, but the coach's name was Pat Head.

Besides Tennessee, I've lived in only one other sports community. We moved to New Orleans the same time Jim Mora moved there to coach the Saints. Their fanbase began to learn that realism & optimism could coexist. Grocery bags reverted back from apparel to logistical. Monks stopped wearing Saints jerseys as cilices of mortification and penance.

Fans still critiqued their losses, mistakes, and slump seasons, but the critical attitude was more of "we've improved this, now if we can just improve that, too..." In other words, theirs was an attitude of ascent. How much higher can we finish in the division next season? Their first step was to beat the perennial division champs, the Montana-led 49ers. Then, to beat them twice. Then, win a playoff game. And eventually some fans began to envision the ultimate dream of a Super Bowl championship.

All of that bayou history to say this:
The only Lady Vols fans I "know" now are from Volnation. But I can seldom stand to read more than a few posts each day. The pessimists and incessant criticizers are the loudest voices in text. To my ears, they are shrill, demanding, dehumanizing, but most of all--and unaceptably--ENTITLED.

Many of the voices here remind me of the institutionalized drug addicts I once worked with--cursing reality and unwilling to accept and re-engage normalcy. Rather, they were locked-in on re-experiencing that last, best high they remembered. The hardest part about getting them beyond that stage was that their constant outbursts of anger were actually pumping more drugs (catecholamines and adrenaline) into their brains. These poor people were caught in a loop of barely sustaining, but never satisfying, anger and resentment.

Please, fellow LV fans, accept that we now live again in "Coach Head" times. Era 2: Season 1 is in the books. Era 1 only exists on DVD.

This is a new journey, and we've only hiked to the foot of this new mountain. There is no "re-" anything for the LV program. There is no carry-over of energy, skill, or magic from decades past, either on the court or in the jerseys. For today's players, the LV history that's so fresh and rousing in our memories, is a burden, a weight, something to be overcome rather than inspire. Today, those banners which provoke glorious memories for us, might as well be made of cast lead for them.

These girls are humans, not trading cards. They are not stats--and if the game was determined by stats, no one would want to watch it. It's the human factor--the will to tighten up defense, to force turnovers, get rebounds and 50/50 balls, to not accept defeat after a terrible first half--that's what attracts fans to any sport.

Women's sports will only attract a limited number of fans. Which makes it even more important that your small fanbase be a warm, generous, supportive family... eager to "adopt" (and accept--the person, if not their choices) each new young lady who shows up to play for your team.

If you've lost that family aspect, if you are only an LV fan because you're determined to re-experience those highs you remember... I'm sorry, but, go away. You are no longer supporting the team, players, or program. You're only supporting your habit.
Excellent post!!!!!

Reactions: ruvol

VN Store

Back