Observations From The Opener.

I think it's too early to tell about this team. Some things are obvious, but it's not like football where we saw all the signs against UCLA. My main thing is that we have some players, and I have confidence that Bruce will have them whipped into shape come spring. Playing to their strengths, and as a team. Good enough for me. For now, I'm just glad to get to watch it happening as opposed to all the anticipating I've been doing.

Where Maze is concerened, color me skeptical.

I think he showed some good things tonight. He definitely has 100x the body control that Ramar did and without any drop off in quickness. Hopefully he doesn't disappear against a better team, though.

Hat, I know it's early in the season (very early) but do you think this team has what it takes to win the SEC.? Also, how good is UF going to be this year? TIA....
My gut instinct right now is that Florida wins the SEC.

I remember running into Negedu at the Memphis airport a few months back and this dude is a beast. He is also one hell of a basketball player..

I couldn't believe his size. His body is much more developed than your average freshman.

1)It doesn't matter, I'd rather have him over a walk-on
2)This sucks
3)I've always liked him, he was the forgotten one out of our recruiting class. He's worked to develop into more than a defensive stopper and I'd love to see him step up and contribute valuable minutes.
I'm not certain that West won't be cleared, but if that's what we're hanging our hat on, it might be a very disappointing year.

1)It doesn't matter, I'd rather have him over a walk-on
2)This sucks
3)I've always liked him, he was the forgotten one out of our recruiting class. He's worked to develop into more than a defensive stopper and I'd love to see him step up and contribute valuable minutes.

Josh actually looked to be coming around more on offense when I saw them practice. He's got that left and those guys are tricky. He was looking more to score and I think he could provide some valuable minutes besides being a lock down defender.

1. Tennessee has problems of Biblical proportions at point guard.
2. Emmanuel Negedu is Donnell Harvey, V. 2.0.
3. Renaldo Woolridge is about 100 times better than when I saw him two summers ago.
4. Brian Williams is eventually going to be one of the best interior players in the SEC.
5. Wayne Chism will be the best pro on this roster.
6. The last thing Scotty Hopson needs to be thinking about is the NBA Draft.
7. Ryan Childress will be lucky to play 200 minutes this season.
8. Tyler Smith's jumper looks much improved.
9. Stephen Pearl playing significant minutes? Really?
10. Cam Tatum's return to health is critical for this team.

1. Uh, yeah. We had a walk on getting significant minutes tonight and while I like Maze, I'm still anxious to see him against top calibur competition.
2. He's going to be a monster.
3. I was very impressed with Woolridge, both his build and his game.
4. He was impressive on the boards tonight and is a solid defender. One of the best interior players in the SEC may be stretching it.
6. No kidding. That was evident during the RTL. He's got tons of potential but is not a one and done in my opinion.
7. That's being generous.
8. Very much. He claims he has spend a lot of time working on his shot, including the three. It shows.
9. Don't understand that either. It has to be due to West, Prince, and Tabb being out.
10. Tatum should definitely see a lot of minutes. I'm hoping he can be the JaJuan of this team.

I'm not certain that West won't be cleared, but if that's what we're hanging our hat on, it might be a very disappointing year.

Surely to God he's better at point than a walk-on or Prince. Either way, I think we're going to have some serious problems this season, I'm worried. With the injuries and suspensions we aren't as deep as most assumed.

Josh actually looked to be coming around more on offense when I saw them practice. He's got that left and those guys are tricky. He was looking more to score and I think he could provide some valuable minutes besides being a lock down defender.

Pearl was very complimentary of Tabb during the post game presser. Except for his 'off the court' issues.

I think he showed some good things tonight. He definitely has 100x the body control that Ramar did and without any drop off in quickness. Hopefully he doesn't disappear against a better team, though.

Hopefully he doesn't press in the big games. Stay in control and run the show...

Pearl was very complimentary of Tabb during the post game presser. Except for his 'off the court' issues.

Hopefully he'll realize that this is the chance he's been waiting on and straighten things out. He has the inside track at being a serious contributor at the point (assuming he can play it).

I remember running into Negedu at the Memphis airport a few months back and this dude is a beast. He is also one hell of a basketball player..

On the court, he looked like Stanley Asunu on steroids (except when he shot the ball) . He was bouncing all over the place. Made everyone else look like they were playing in slow motion.

I didnt get to hear any of that. Watched on the computer and when the game was over, bye bye feed... Anything else worth you so graciously filling me in on?

I didnt get to hear any of that. Watched on the computer and when the game was over, bye bye feed... Anything else worth you so graciously filling me in on?

Nothing else really comes to mind, but I'm exhausted so that's not saying much. Maybe someone else will pipe in on this.

On the court, he looked like Stanley Asunu on steroids (except when he shot the ball) . He was bouncing all over the place. Made everyone else look like they were playing in slow motion.

I've thought of that comparison before too. He's got Stanley though...

There may be other stations, too, but I know you can go to the 1510 WLAC (Nashville affiliate) website, and they broadcast the post game show.

Does anyone know why Tabb didn't dress tonight? My take on Hopson is that he is a good offensive player, but needs to really improve on defense.

Surely to God he's better at point than a walk-on or Prince. Either way, I think we're going to have some serious problems this season, I'm worried. With the injuries and suspensions we aren't as deep as most assumed.
I certainly think West is the best option. I'm just saying that it's risky to count on a guy who is, at best, 50-50 to get cleared.

There may be other stations, too, but I know you can go to the 1510 WLAC (Nashville affiliate) website, and they broadcast the post game show.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind for when I'm out of town, like now. I had to do laundry tonight, and had too many women calling me, to research and find it on somewhere else tonight....

VN Store

Back