OBJ handing out cash

Really? Even since they are still enrolled in school and receiving scholarship money for football? Still enrolled = still part of NCAA jurisdiction.
Once that game ended, their amateurism ended (assuming he only did that for those who have finished their eligibility ). If they are underclassman who haven’t declared then yes, it’s a violation. He’s a booster. It was tacky, but that’s his MO.

How? Just because they are done playing football? They are still enrolled in classes and still on scholarship. They still have a whole semester to finish minimum.
Believe it or not I’ve dealt with this. I’ve worked with UT athletes who had just won the NC in 98. The NCAA does have provisions for student athletes who have played their last game.

Admittedly...have no idea. Seems to me if money was given to someone after their college football career is over, not much the NCAA can do. Not even sure they would do anything if someone still has classes to take. But come on, if it went against rules, the obvious answer here is that it was fake money.

If OBJ is considered a booster, how is what he is doing (paying players), any different from Penny Hardaway (paying players) in the realm of NCAA rules?

Reactions: Bret178
Admittedly...have no idea. Seems to me if money was given to someone after their college football career is over, not much the NCAA can do. Not even sure they would do anything if someone still has classes to take. But come on, if it went against rules, the obvious answer here is that it was fake money.

Oh, I think it was real money, OBJ has a 2 cent brain. Players are skipping Bowl games or even regular games and signing with agents in the Fall semester now. Its not really even a NCAA matter unless the player plays again, which he won't, generally speaking. I'm not sure what the issue is, over the next or so the NCAA will have roll back or get rid of rules on all this anyway. Players will be able to accept money anytime.

Generally speaking, I doubt there is violation unless the player suits up again, or wants to... than it would have to be reported. His college career is over.

If OBJ is considered a booster, how is what he is doing (paying players), any different from Penny Hardaway (paying players) in the realm of NCAA rules?

Before the game = violation, after the game != violation

Reactions: Sara Clark

VN Store

Back