Obama to Ban Military-Stule weapons for LEOs

I'm not going to go through the same talk (again) that I have gone though multiple times before. Paraphrased, I think there are very limited times that police would (and possibly should) need an armored vehicle. However, not all of them do and most would sit around and rust anyway.

And yes, all the police had to do is pay for the transport to and from the location and that was it. The taxpayer already paid for it once so in essence, it was free.

The taxpayer is still paying for the gas and upkeep on these vehicles.
I see these vehicles as fine for the national guard but not local cops.

Reactions: 1 person
They don't need $750,000 MRAPs.

I could understand armoring the doors of police cruisers in the event of a shootout and they need cover. That's fine.

But an MRAP? You serious, Clark?

They get em left over from the wars. Better the cops have them than some muslim country.

Reactions: 1 person
Assault knives.....

That is (and was) the one thing that always caused me to scratch my head when it comes to so called assault weapons bans. A bayonet lug? That makes it inherently more evil?

And in turn, do police having bayonets cause them to restrict civil rights more?

Just losing sleep over the matter.

They get em left over from the wars. Better the cops have them than some muslim country.

Currently, it is costing $50k to bring each of the 12,000 vehicles back home. That's also on the taxpayers to just get them back to the States.

Then you add in local taxpayer costs to provide upkeep.

At least Sgt David Henley of Lewisburg, TN (11,000 people) is realistic and honest about their piece of military equipment:

“We were having to do it the old fashioned way and put a man in harm’s way to approach a situation,” Henley said. “It’s more about the intimidation factor than anything else. Someone looks out their window and sees that big ol’ MRAP sitting there … it changes their whole thought process pretty quickly.”

Repurposed MRAPs Find New Life in Police Agencies

It's about intimidating the local population. Nothing more, nothing less. An armored EconoVan just isn't as intimidating to the locals. This is how we fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. With that "this is our strong arm, don't make us punch you" attitude. It's disgusting to see it in the rhetoric from an appointed spokesman.

Also:

There are 780 agencies on the wait list for MRAPs. All costs associated with the transfer are borne by either the state or the law enforcement agency receiving MRAPs, as is the case for all equipment received through DLAÂ’s Law Enforcement Support Office.

So, no, they're not "donated". The taxpayers are on the hitch for their own intimidation.

Currently, it is costing $50k to bring each of the 12,000 vehicles back home. That's also on the taxpayers to just get them back to the States.

Then you add in local taxpayer costs to provide upkeep.

At least Sgt David Henley of Lewisburg, TN (11,000 people) is realistic and honest about their piece of military equipment:

Repurposed MRAPs Find New Life in Police Agencies

It's about intimidating the local population. Nothing more, nothing less. An armored EconoVan just isn't as intimidating to the locals. This is how we fought in Iraq and Afghanistan. With that "this is our strong arm, don't make us punch you" attitude. It's disgusting to see it in the rhetoric from an appointed spokesman.

Also:

So, no, they're not "donated". The taxpayers are on the hitch for their own intimidation.
An MRAP costs like $600,000. So re-purposing them in LEO outfits is better than leaving them to rust in some hell hole. You can always use a breach vehicle for crack houses, meth trailer parks, and ghettos.

Police used old M113 from Nam. I don't really have a problem if they are replacing them with mraps, just leave the machine gun mount with the Army

An MRAP costs like $600,000. So re-purposing them in LEO outfits is better than leaving them to rust in some hell hole. You can always use a breach vehicle for crack houses, meth trailer parks, and ghettos.

Sell them off and be done with it.

Police departments can use armored vans.

If they start coming across high caliber weapons and IEDs on the daily, we can talk MRAPs.

Until then it's just what the good Sgt Henley said "it's all about intimidation".

If they start coming across high caliber weapons and IEDs on the daily, we can talk MRAPs.

Until then it's just what the good Sgt Henley said "it's all about intimidation".

Good. Maybe it will make democrats think twice about robbing liquor stores.

Reactions: 2 people

Sell them? To who? During the 1960s race riots, the National Guard deployed tanks. Somehow we survived as a nation.

Again most armored vans and ex-bank trucks can easily be punctured by high-caliber weapons. Also the military is trying to give away MRAPs to allied partners for free and no one is taking them either. If we don't have a need for them and our allies don't want them I just don't want to see such equipment rusting away in a scrapyard somewhere.

Exactly, they're paid a wage for the job they do. When that wage becomes unacceptable, either petition your employer for a raise, or move on.

Yep, and they find some other goober that will do it for peanuts.

You're always whining about the quality of cops. Perhaps if they paid better, they'd attract a better group of people.

VN Store

Back