'20 NY OLB William Mohan (Tennessee commit)

Beldar was supposed to be an X/O mastermind, but we found out that was only with superior personnel. Who did he really slow down or fool? The D played well vs UK twice and Miss St once, but that was about all. This new staff is used to being a little more creative.

My impression was that the defense played well until the poor offense inclined some of the defensive players to give up.

But if the great teams are filling holes with portal transfers who are plug and play, then we're not getting parity we're getting more distance from the great teams to the bad teams.
The bad teams are adding players that were backups elsewhere and the great teams are adding starters from other teams.
This is a risk. But guys have to take the "Money Ball" approach and find players who fit... and maybe have chips on their shoulders.

Having given this a little more thought... I still wish the recent changes had not happened. Dealing with reality a few things stick out. One, the importance of coaching and culture just skyrocketed. Two, fan support and market potential will now play a huge role in determining who gets players and who does not.

Number 2 could change reality for some programs. Clemson has been highly successful. But if I had to guess based on my relatives in SC... their market value instate will still be second to USCe. Bama has succeeded with a national appeal but what market in Alabama compares to Knoxville and Nashville much less Atlanta, Miami, or LA.

It won't happen overnight but these two recent changes together stand to shift CFB.

But if the great teams are filling holes with portal transfers who are plug and play, then we're not getting parity we're getting more distance from the great teams to the bad teams.
The bad teams are adding players that were backups elsewhere and the great teams are adding starters from other teams.
We can’t catch up in one offseason. We improved through the portal a ton. All we have to do is exceed the general expectations of 4-5 wins, show a much better offense (almost guaranteed) and then the recruiting will pick up. Rinse and repeat and hopefully we’ll be competing for Championships in 3-4 years

Going to be interesting to see the difference it makes for the players that went to stacked programs versus places where they can make a difference. That could determine the choices players make in the future.
Always wondered that. Why some HS “stars” went to big time schools to ride the pine, when they could be studs somewhere else. Maybe it’s just me?

I’d rather be a starter at say, Tulane, than 3rd string at LSU......

Always wondered that. Why some HS “stars” went to big time schools to ride the pine, when they could be studs somewhere else. Maybe it’s just me?

If you’re offered a full ride scholarship to LSU and Tulane, who you choosing? LSU all day. If they offer you a scholarship then you are definitely walking in there thinking you are good enough to start someday, if not immediately. Because ego.

If you’re offered a full ride scholarship to LSU and Tulane, who you choosing? LSU all day. If they offer you a scholarship then you are definitely walking in there thinking you are good enough to start someday, if not immediately. Because ego.
Most would. Absolutely.
I personally did what I posted. I didn’t want to be red-shirted as a freshman and sit behind guys for two more years. I wanted to play every tournament all 4 years. It was just my mindset. I see more thinking that way in the future.
4 years of NIL money rather than 2 years.....

Reactions: HalfullVol

What makes players great is that confidence in their own abilities. Recruiters play to that confidence and ego. “Afraid of competition” is a friend to the stockpiling program like Saban’s.

What makes players great is that confidence in their own abilities. Recruiters play to that confidence and ego. “Afraid of competition” is a friend to the stockpiling program like Saban’s.
I see that and understand it. Like I said, maybe it’s just me. I just wanted to play immediately....and still got to play against the best at other schools.
Im also not gonna lie. I was offered by two SEC schools and was a little worried that I was not quite good enough. Didn’t have that confidence at that age.

Most would. Absolutely.
I personally did what I posted. I didn’t want to be red-shirted as a freshman and sit behind guys for two more years. I wanted to play every tournament all 4 years. It was just my mindset. I see more thinking that way in the future.
Golf is different than football in a lot of ways. You can make the pros no matter where you go for golf. While it’s still possible in football too, the quality of team matters quite a bit more. Lots of great football players who get lost in the subpar coaching of smaller schools.

Golf is different than football in a lot of ways. You can make the pros no matter where you go for golf. While it’s still possible in football too, the quality of team matters quite a bit more. Lots of great football players who get lost in the subpar coaching of smaller schools.

8F47BA9A-8627-4E76-B9BF-963A76D19FD3.png

We can’t catch up in one offseason. We improved through the portal a ton. All we have to do is exceed the general expectations of 4-5 wins, show a much better offense (almost guaranteed) and then the recruiting will pick up. Rinse and repeat and hopefully we’ll be competing for Championships in 3-4 years
That remains to be seen. We definitely added some important pieces, and I think Heupel did a great job with the portal, but we lost a ton in the portal also and to me it remains to be seen whether we improved in the portal or not.

That remains to be seen. We definitely added some important pieces, and I think Heupel did a great job with the portal, but we lost a ton in the portal also and to me it remains to be seen whether we improved in the portal or not.

We improved the moment we fired Pruitt.

That was the single most important effort of the off-season.

If Heupel had Jennings, Palmer and Calloway, all 3 would have been drafted , and Calloway probably is All-SEC.
And no JG wouldn't have been QB.

It made ZERO sense: the amount of ineptitude being done day - 2-day on the hill while Pruitt was there.

We improved the moment we fired Pruitt.

That was the single most important effort of the off-season.

If Heupel had Jennings, Palmer and Calloway, all 3 would have been drafted , and Calloway probably is All-SEC.
And no JG wouldn't have been QB.

It made ZERO sense: the amount of ineptitude being done day - 2-day on the hill while Pruitt was there.
We improved scheme and coaching wise offensively. Remains to be seen about defensively.
And I don't think we improved talent wise through the portal overall. Heupel filled holes as best he could, but I think we still lost more good players to the portal than we added.

We improved scheme and coaching wise offensively. Remains to be seen about defensively.
And I don't think we improved talent wise through the portal overall. Heupel filled holes as best he could, but I think we still lost more good players to the portal than we added.
What did we do defensively under Pruitt? The area you may have thought we’d be good, but no.

Reactions: #1GatorHater
What did we do defensively under Pruitt? The area you may have thought we’d be good, but no.
Not saying we were good, just saying with how fast this offense is going to run (quick touchdowns and quicker 3 and outs) plus a coordinator who hasn't called plays in a while, we don't know how improved we will be on defense.

Most would. Absolutely.
This is apples to oranges because in golf you can have a separate swing coach and a large portion of your practice is on the course, not in the facility. Whereas do you really think you’re getting the same level of coaching and resources from Butch at Arkansas State as you would from Saban at Bama?

Reactions: 3nUTnow
If you are going to be riding the bench I would rather be at Tulane where you will receive a much higher quality education to set you up for life.

I mean Pruitt did turn out to be terrible but don’t forget we did have the 2nd longest win streak in the nation and a halftime lead on UGA before the craziest collapse in sports history happened… we lead the sec in interceptions Pruitt’s second year Pruitt wasn’t a great head coach but we did have a good span where he looked like the guy… ultimately he bet on JG and never trusted Chaney to do what he was paid to do and that cost him his job but he did have moments… hate defending him cause of how bad he finished last season but I think CJH has some pieces to work with and if QB play is good that gives us a good chance to compete in all of our games.

Last edited:
If you are going to be riding the bench I would rather be at Tulane where you will receive a much higher quality education to set you up for life.
You’re 1 of 25 kids to get a full ride scholarship to LSU for the 2022 class. You’ve been an absolute monster, a dominant, probably record setting high school player. You’re not walking in there thinking you’re going to ride the bench! Lol y’all gotta step into these kids shoes!

Most would. Absolutely.

I think that's an old school way of thinking in football, no offense. I use to think the same way but if the individual has a head on their shoulders they would realize that every player has a shelf life. A football player has a smaller window to play than a golfer, baseball player, etc. The reason for going to OSU, Bama, Clemson, OU even though they may have to sit 1-3 years is that those teams are producing very well coached players who can show off their talents in that time frame and they get drafted higher with less miles on the body. Ideal for RBs.

I think that's an old school way of thinking in football, no offense. I use to think the same way but if the individual has a head on their shoulders they would realize that every player has a shelf life. A football player has a smaller window to play than a golfer, baseball player, etc. The reason for going to OSU, Bama, Clemson, OU even though they may have to sit 1-3 years is that those teams are producing very well coached players who can show off their talents in that time frame and they get drafted higher with less miles on the body. Ideal for RBs.
I am old school.:)

I get what your saying.......

Reactions: dcm3w
Agreed. Not a number 1 unless he wins immediately. People forgive all flaws if you win. I saw him direct lbs right to where plays were designed over and over. He knows his ****. CBj May never get another real gig. He will and at high as **** level imo
And yet, the next slant we actually covered while he was here would have been the first one.

This a bit inaccurate if I take your post as saying ETSU is a small school with subpar coaching and resources. For football and basketball that is accurate, but not with Golf ETSU has been a premiere golf school for years with the best connections to the British and Irish golfers of just about anywhere. The facilities are great, the connections are great, and the community is very easy for Brits to live in. Coach Warren had people inside the University who were extremely well connected to that area and be was a legendary coach.

VN Store

Back