Now the world finds out just how good Alvin Kamara really is...

I wonder how many people in the NFL have thought, Tennessee had this guy and still couldn’t make an impact in the SEC? Interesting.

Alvin had him a DAY yesterday .. that was a tremendous game. Now, as our resident Captain Hyperbole stated "clearly the best running back", that might be a stretch considering the start Zeke Elliot and Todd Gurley are off to but I would put AK in the top 3 currently. Now with Ingram coming back, I am curious to see how the Saints split the carries again.

Nah, all I said was 275 yards rushing every 4 games would equal 1100 for 16 games. I don't expect that, especially with Ingram coming back next week. If AK gets 2000 yards from scrimmage, I wouldn't be shocked. I also don't expect Mahomes to throw 50 TDs, let alone 69. I smell what your are cooking. My main point is, whether AK rushes for a 1000 yards or not, he is still an all-pro level football player. But, I have no doubt, if AK was the main RB all year without sharing carries and receptions with Ingram, he would average over 4 ypc and get a 1000 yards, easily. But, the Saints don't need that from AK and apparently, know how to get the best out of him and everybody else with Drew Brews running sh!t

You make sense here but my only caveat would be the context that most people were using which is very specifically Alvin's rushing. When comparing RB A to RB B as a running back it's ground production that's the focus and receiving ability an added bonus. I looked up an interesting stat. Were you aware that there are only 3 players in the league with more receiving targets than Alvin? Seriously, only Adam Thielen, Antonio Brown and JuJu Smith-Schuster have more. Think about that for a minute. Ponder how many dedicated receivers you can name (Julio Jones, OBJ, DeAndre Hopkins, etc) and realize AK has more targets than any of them. It's such a startling stat it makes it almost plausible to consider (at least through the first 4 games of this season) that AK is as much a receiver that takes handoffs than a RB that catches passes.

Reactions: Plecoptera
You make sense here but my only caveat would be the context that most people were using which is very specifically Alvin's rushing. When comparing RB A to RB B as a running back it's ground production that's the focus and receiving ability an added bonus. I looked up an interesting stat. Were you aware that there are only 3 players in the league with more receiving targets than Alvin? Seriously, only Adam Thielen, Antonio Brown and JuJu Smith-Schuster have more. Think about that for a minute. Ponder how many dedicated receivers you can name (Julio Jones, OBJ, DeAndre Hopkins, etc) and realize AK has more targets than any of them. It's such a startling stat it makes it almost plausible to consider (at least through the first 4 games of this season) that AK is as much a receiver that takes handoffs than a RB that catches passes.
Interesting stat you posted regarding receiving targets. I get to watch the Saints fairly often so I know Kamara is used heavily in the passing game, just didn't realize his targets were that high in relation to actual wide receivers. I've said it before, but I was really happy to see Kamara get drafted by the Saints. His skill set is perfect for their offense.

Interesting stat you posted regarding receiving targets. I get to watch the Saints fairly often so I know Kamara is used heavily in the passing game, just didn't realize his targets were that high in relation to actual wide receivers. I've said it before, but I was really happy to see Kamara get drafted by the Saints. His skill set is perfect for their offense.

It's a hot new trend in the NFL. So many passing downs and thus you end up with lots of RB targets just from checkdowns, particularly in games where the team is behind.

I can't remember who it was, but 2 weeks ago some RB had like 98 yards from scrimmage and no TD's but scored 23 fantasy points because he had so many catches.

It's a hot new trend in the NFL. So many passing downs and thus you end up with lots of RB targets just from checkdowns, particularly in games where the team is behind.

I can't remember who it was, but 2 weeks ago some RB had like 98 yards from scrimmage and no TD's but scored 23 fantasy points because he had so many catches.

There's certainly been a new push to integrate passing with RB but it's still unusual at that level. There are only 3 getting 8 or more targets per game.

Kamara 11.75
Barkley 8.75
M Gordon 8.5

There's certainly been a new push to integrate passing with RB but it's still unusual at that level. There are only 3 getting 8 or more targets per game.

Kamara 11.75
Barkley 8.75
M Gordon 8.5

Yeah, those guys are the few every down backs who get the large majority of snaps (minus Gurley and Zeke). Kamara will come down some when Ingram gets back. Every team is throwing to their RB's more, it's just by committee. If Jordan Howard gets hurt, Cohen would likely be getting 8 catches/game.

Last edited:
I wonder how many people in the NFL have thought, Tennessee had this guy and still couldn’t make an impact in the SEC? Interesting.

Just wait till Dobbs blows up later this year. That is when people will start wondering how we couldn't win the SEC championship with talents like Dobbs and Kamara.

Then in 2019-2020 when Hurd and JK are blowing in the league, people will just laugh at the embrassment of riches we had. Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, and John Kelly will all be STARS in the NFL.

Its funny how you keep trying to spin his versatility as a negative.

Alvin is the best runner in the NFL. The fact he's an even better receiver than runner only makes him the Hall of Fame talent I said he was before the 2017 draft.

Alvin Kamara = best runner in the NFL

Just accept it.

Reactions: 508mikey
Just wait till Dobbs blows up later this year. That is when people will start wondering how we couldn't win the SEC championship with talents like Dobbs and Kamara.

Then in 2019-2020 when Hurd and JK are blowing in the league, people will just laugh at the embrassment of riches we had. Dobbs, Hurd, Kamara, and John Kelly will all be STARS in the NFL.
why wont the Rams let Kelly even dress ?

Yeah, those guys are the few every down backs who get the majority of snaps. Kamara will come down some when Ingram gets back. Every team is throwing to their RB's more, it's just by committe. If Jordan Howard gets hurt, Cohen would likely be getting 8 catches/game.
Very very true .. Kamara is a weapon best used in doses. He has had his share of injuries at Bama, UT and now with the Saints but the way the Saints have used him he could stay healthier longer. I believe if they tried to use him as a 15+ carry every game guy it may not be what's best for AK. Been a fan of his since HS and want him to succeed.

Alvin Kamara = best runner in the NFL

Just accept it.

How trite, the old "because I said so" troll trope. As much as I love Alvin's general utility (which he has in spades and I've certainly argued against) this last proclamation still needs some real world vetting.

Alvin's last nine games.
7 of 9 under under 50 yards. More under 30 (2) than over 70 (1).
6 of 9 under 4ypc. More under 3ypc (2) than over 5 (1).

No idea what the future holds, for my part Alvin tearing it up is just fine too, but reality isn't here cater to my preferences. If it hasn't actually happened I don't just accept it.

To be perfectly honest I think the whole "bell cow" idea might be a disservice to Alvin anyway. IMHO he delivers the bast "bang for the buck", and likely for a longer period of time, splitting time as a primary rusher being such a great threat at receiver.

Very very true .. Kamara is a weapon best used in doses. He has had his share of injuries at Bama, UT and now with the Saints but the way the Saints have used him he could stay healthier longer. I believe if they tried to use him as a 15+ carry every game guy it may not be what's best for AK. Been a fan of his since HS and want him to succeed.

Looking back at his games, the sweet spot seems to be about 8-11 carries a game.

How trite, the old "because I said so" troll trope. As much as I love Alvin's general utility (which he has in spades and I've certainly argued against) this last proclamation still needs some real world vetting.

Alvin's last nine games.
7 of 9 under under 50 yards. More under 30 (2) than over 70 (1).
6 of 9 under 4ypc. More under 3ypc (2) than over 5 (1).

No idea what the future holds, for my part Alvin tearing it up is just fine too, but reality isn't here cater to my preferences. If it hasn't actually happened I don't just accept it.

To be perfectly honest I think the whole "bell cow" idea might be a disservice to Alvin anyway. IMHO he delivers the bast "bang for the buck", and likely for a longer period of time, splitting time as a primary rusher being such a great threat at receiver.
THIS .. THIS and THIS ^^^^^^

He can probably add a few years to his career splitting carries. That's why college teams are stacking backs now to keep them healthy and save some wear and tear on their bodies. AK is an incredible offensive weapon .. regardless of what he is called for a position. Back in the old days of the Bucs, Mike Alstott used to get labeled as a Fullback because of his size but he was in the I for 75-80% of his carries. He went to the Pro Bowl as a Fullback. He also didn't care about any of it as long as he was contributing.

VN Store

Back