Now that the season is over...

I think we have a chance to be really good. We need to lean on that big o-line and focus on the running game and playing great defense and special teams.
It is time for Pruitt and this team to work some magic. A new era at Tennessee, and looking forward to 2020. All players that is coming back knows what is at stake, and believe me when I say, we’re going to be a surprising team in 2020. A special team will be emerging, and we have the talent to go far. We will go a lot further than folks are expecting us to. Can’t wait.👍👍👍
As has been mentioned before, QB play will determine how far the teams will go in 2020.

I’m pumping the breaks on my expectations for next season. We’re still going to be young and without a lot of depth at some key spots next year. And we’ve seen this before with the O-line . . . Yes, they SHOULD be a strength of the team, but will they? Possibly a true freshman at QB . . . or an experienced one with some demonstrated limitations (or a sophomore that has yet to show anything more than a couple of flashes in between head-scratchingly bad decisions).

Lots of potential in 2020 for our Vols, but the usual tough schedule and some key losses to graduation will make it a hard path to navigate. The “easy” schedule in 2019 was squandered by an inexcusably pathetic start to the season. The UF mental block remains, and there were consistently too many boneheaded penalties at really bad times throughout 2019, especially on the offensive line that is supposed to be a strength of the team in 2020.

Hoping for the best, of course, and I’m cautiously optimistic for the future. But 2020 is probably going to be another rollercoaster ride. Pruitt and Co. need to keep recruiting well and building a winning culture. I think the years ahead are going to be bright. Patience is important.

Disagree. We've had average QB the last 3 years and didn't get 9.

JG needs to play close to the "Missouri JG" or start the more talented QB in HB
The defense will be top shelf in 2020 and so will the running game behind an awesome offensive line and that will take some of the pressure off of the Tennessee quarterbacks:cool:

The talent on the roster is getting better, players are buying into the culture, competition is getting better, we will win 9 games. We have some huge question marks but that is college football. We use to have players leaving early who just wanted to get out and try to be an undrafted free agent. Now we have players like Trey returning because they believe they will be developed into better players.

8-4 should be the floor with an outside chance at 10-2 (meaning we get some great fortune).

This is going to be a weird off season.

OD you are the true embodiment of a fan. Your enthusiasm and positivity in the face of criticism and derision is nice to see. Especially now that we see things starting to turn in our favor after a long time in the football wilderness. Cheers to you.

Not that you can rate wrongness, but you are as wrong as you could be.

If the 2019 team doesn't lose the first 2 games, it doesn't finish as strong as it did. The "What If's" just don't work. This team gelled together and grew through facing that adversity. They also had several true freshman in very important places on the field who had to grow and were struggling to find their identity on defense.

You must factor in the quality of the opponents when you talk about win loss records and there is no question that Oklahoma is better than either of the first two teams we faced. South Carolina and Kentucky will be better. Bama, UGA and Florida are all coming off good seasons with recruiting classes significantly better than ours. We very easily could be a better team with better coaching and end up with the same record or one game worse.

It's that level of small minded thinking that has lead to the constant churn we have experienced and it MUST stop.

That is a ridiculous assertion; that without the embarassing losses we wouldnt have finished the regular season with 5 straight wins. That is small minded thinking.

Totla BS also in the SCe and UK are going to be better argument as to why we might lose to them. UT should also be better, i mean this will be CJPs third recruiting class. Or do you intend to continue blaming losses ( should they occur) on a staff yhat hasnt been in Knoxvile for 3 years?

Personally, i think CJP abd crew will out coach most of the other staffs in the league and we will wind up with a better record than last season by a game or two. Ending with a 5-3 SEC record should be the floor for 2020. Worse than that inidcates these guys will not get us to championship levels.

That is a ridiculous assertion; that without the embarassing losses we wouldnt have finished the regular season with 5 straight wins. That is small minded thinking.

Totla BS also in the SCe and UK are going to be better argument as to why we might lose to them. UT should also be better, i mean this will be CJPs third recruiting class. Or do you intend to continue blaming losses ( should they occur) on a staff yhat hasnt been in Knoxvile for 3 years?

Personally, i think CJP abd crew will out coach most of the other staffs in the league and we will wind up with a better record than last season by a game or two. Ending with a 5-3 SEC record should be the floor for 2020. Worse than that inidcates these guys will not get us to championship levels.

Translation:
"I dOn'I KnOw nOtHinG bOuT nO foOTbAlLiN"

Don't get me wrong we have some talented players coming back and or joining the program next season but we still have a little ways to go, this offseason will be crucial for size and development. I believe some good things will come from the 2020 season but I know there will still be some growing pains. Alot depends on QB play and how our younger wr group does, defense we've got players there and our oline could be one of the best in the country if they gel together

you just

giphy.gif
someone
That facial expression says it all.

Reactions: tnvols72
Excellent retort. Im certain that debating style works well in your circles.

But you can make all the excuses you want. Going backwards in year 3 isnt a sign of great things to come.

I've already shown my work in this thread.

All Ive seen you offer is "feelings"

Give me some in depth analysis like my first post in this thread and I'll give you a meaningful retort.

Give me what you gave me and you'll get what you've already received

To win 9 in 2020 we must beat all the teams we are expected to beat:
1) Charlotte
2) Furman
3) Troy
4) Vandy
5) Arkansas - Sam Pitman ALMOST got this one moved to a 50/50 game....but they have a long way to go

And all the teams that could go either way:
6) Missouri - New Coach, don't know what to expect
7) South Carolina - It's still Muschamp
8) Kentucky - They recruited well and will have a reall QB next year.

And then one we are expected to lose:
Oklahoma
Florida
Bama
UGA

If we lose any game we are expected to win OR one of the 50/50 games then we have to go .500 in that group of 4.

It will be VERY hard to win 9, virtually impossible to win 10.

We will either be playing with JG as QB1 - Doesn't turn the ball over much, but isn't someone who can beat you with his arm on a consistent basis, Mauer who completes almost as many balls to the other team as he does to Tennessee OR a true freshman. None of those are confidence inspiring options.

We should be better at O Line. Our line was serviceable this year....but not great. Hopefully Morris, Carvin and Wright can continue to improve alongside Trey and Kennedy. If we can add the depth of Cade and Cooper Mays we should be better equipped to run the ball.

With our inconsistency at QB and losing Calloway, Jennings, Byrd, and Wood-Anderson...we are going to struggle to be better in the passing game.

Losing Taylor, Bituli will make it hard for our front 7 to be better and Warrior's departure will for sure be felt in the backfield.

I am saying all this to say that even if this team goes 7-5, 8-4 next year....it's not going to be reason for alarm. It will take several years for this program to get back to a point where we can even think about contending for the East. Pruitt has improved a lot as a head coach over the last two years, he has a fairly competent staff and is recruiting at a satisfactory level. But I feel like he is building a program which will be better for longer. Our last staff sold their souls o the devil for short term gains....and we all see where that landed us. Be patient and be realistic with your expectations. We are on our way back to relevancy....but we were so far gone....it's going to be a long road.

Okay in depth

If we lose one of the first 5, then the debate ends there. Two seasons in a row of an embarrassing loss? This staff and HC arent taking this program to a championship anytime soon.

Losing to any of your next 3 is a very good indicator that after 3 recruiting classes this staff and HC are highly unlikely to take this program to a championship level. None of those 3 are going to compete for a championship anytime soon of ever.

All four of those teams are beatable with Florida being the toughest win next season and Oklahoma being the most likely win.

Losing all four of these in competitive games wont be a big deal. Getting blown out by 2 or more? We will be looking for a coach in 4 years or less.

Question for you:

When should we expect to beat those 4 teams? Ever? 3 more years? 5? 10?

BS.

This year should have been a 10 win season. Next year, could be as well. Even with the attrition of MC and JJ, we are still just a QB away from being a really great team.
You are quite correct, CJP has us on a roll, we should and could have won 10 this year, next season-the NATY.

VN Store

Back