Now that I have had time to reflect

CountVolcula

Eternal Vol
here are my thoughts on the situation.

I know some see me as a total negavol, but for those that were around when the Dools was coach, I was pretty much a sunshine pumper back then. I was also no big fan of Fulmers in those last years due to his coaching and what appeared to be on cruise control to break Neyland's record. For those not around during the Major years, Fulmer used his influence in the AD to undermine Majors and take over the program

But, let's look at what we have at hand. We are screwed. This is likely a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. We are the laughing stock of CFB and its not just simply from the loss to Georgia State on Saturday. We have botched so many hires that we look pathetic. We lucked into Coach Barnes, so I don't count that as a win. He even was looking to leave this past off-season, which makes me think something is amiss in the AD.

As far as Football, we are in a pickle. We can't fire Pruitt. It would be another death blow to the program. One we would likely never recover. Absolutely no coach in their right mind would coach here knowing that the first bad loss, and they're out on their ass. This should give any rational Vol fan pause to contemplate this move.

The problem in general is the lack of seniority in the ranks. We have too many coaches that are learning on the job and we add another one in Ansley. It's no reason the defense looked like 2 drunk guys fist fighting for most of the game. He has no clue how to call a game. He's still learning

Add to that, the total lack of Senior leadership on this team, and you get what you saw on Saturday. Uninspired and rookie football. 5 stars are great. 5 stars with game experience and years under their belt is better

Now, there are some moves that need to be made in the staff and the first one I would cut is Will Friend. He needs to kick rocks. His unit have consistently under-performed. Second, that is on my short list to go is Tracy Rocker. You don't have your unit pushed around like they were by Georgia State and keep your job. Both lines have been our achilles and these two guys are responsible for the mess we see every week

As far as Pruitt, we have to give him time. We don't have a choice. Yea, some will say we can throw the checkbook at people and they will take it. That's BS. The environment around Knoxville is toxic right now. Fan apathy has set in, including myself, attendance is going to fall, and the likelihood of another season without a bowl game is looming

Some people will say it can't get any worse. That's a lie. We said that when we fired Fulmer, when we fired Dooley, when we fired Jones and we'll say it if we fire Pruitt

Well guys and gals. It can get worse

Last edited:

I know some see me as a total negavol, but for those that were around when the Dools was coach, I was pretty much a sunshine pumper back then. I was also no big fan of Fulmers in those last years due to his coaching and what appeared to be on cruise control to break Neyland's record. For those not around during the Major years, Fulmer used his influence in the AD to undermine Majors and take over the program

But, let's look at what we have at hand. We are screwed. This is likely a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. We are the laughing stock of CFB and its not just simply from the loss to Georgia State on Saturday. We have botched so many hires that we look pathetic. We lucked into Coach Barnes, so I don't count that as a win. He even was looking to leave this past off-season, which makes me think something is amiss in the AD.

As far as Football, we are in a pickle. We can't fire Pruitt. It would be another death blow to the program. One we would likely never recover. Absolutely no coach in their right mind would coach here knowing that the first bad loss, and they're out on their ass. This should give any rational Vol fan pause to contemplate this move.

The problem is general is the lack of seniority in the ranks. We have too many coaches that are learning on the job and we add another one in Ansley. It's no reason the defense looked like 2 drunk guys fist fighting for most of the game. He has no clue how to call a game. He's still learning

Add to that, the total lack of Senior leadership on this team, and you get what you saw on Saturday. Uninspired and rookie football. 5 stars are great. 5 stars with game experience and years under their belt is better

Now, there are some moves that need to be made in the staff and the first one I would cut is Will Friend. He needs to kick rocks. His unit have consistently under-performed. Second, that is on my short list to go is Tracy Rocker. You don't have your unit pushed around like they were by Georgia State and keep your job. Both lines have been our achilles and these two guys are responsible for the mess we see every week

As far as Pruitt, we have to give him time. We don't have a choice. Yea, some will say we can throw the checkbook at people and they will take it. That's BS. The environment around Knoxville is toxic right now. Fan apathy has set in, including myself, attendance is going to fall, and the likelihood of another season without a bowl game is looming

Some people will say it can't get any worse. That's a lie. We said that when we fired Fulmer, when we fired Dooley, when we fired Jones and we'll say it if we fire Pruitt

This program is at another turning point again. From a supporters point of view, patience will not be a virtue. It would seem to me this will be a 5 year minimum struggle. This will more than likely get worse. Unbelievable.

Reactions: amorange
As much as I hate to say it, if Pruitt wins at least 4 games I think he's back for the reasons you've outlined. But say we win 2 or 3 games. I think at that point Fulmer will have no choice to fire him. That would be rock bottom, because I truly believe that any coach we would consider for the job could win at least that many and most likely more in year 1. But Warlick's and Butch's buyouts loom over this situation.

What a terrible situation were in.

I had such high hopes for this season

I should have known better
You should have. You've been around long enough to be honest about what you saw last season and what that meant for this season. I predicted 6-6. I think about 7% of the respondents from the board made that prediction. Now, it looks like even a 500 record is generous.

The problem in general is the lack of seniority in the ranks. We have too many coaches that are learning on the job and we add another one in Ansley. It's no reason the defense looked like 2 drunk guys fist fighting for most of the game. He has no clue how to call a game. He's still learning

You make some good points but honestly I’d assume there are a lot of coaches out there thinking to themselves “How in the hell did they lose to Georgia State?”

I don’t see how anyone could hold that against you and top it off if we only win 2-3 games, no AD in his right mind would keep this guy around.

There are articles out there questioning if Pruitt is HC material after Saturday.

The problem is do we actually pay a coach what he’s worth or do we shoot for a bargain bin hire and hope for the best?

I really don’t think this fanbase could stomach another bargain bin hire. I just don’t see the administration opening up the pockets and getting an established coach.

As much as I hate to say it, if Pruitt wins at least 4 games I think he's back for the reasons you've outlined. But say we win 2 or 3 games. I think at that point Fulmer will have no choice to fire him. That would be rock bottom, because I truly believe that any coach we would consider for the job could win at least that many and most likely more in year 1. But Warlick's and Butch's buyouts loom over this situation.

What a terrible situation were in.

Warlick’s buyout is minuscule comparatively speaking; we paid hammy more than that to “resign”(who gets a buyout when they resign?); then cheek...now teaching; and can’t forget hart sitting on his rear, drawing full pay, doing nothing. We’ve had such a level of incompetence at the top it should be criminal. Now Dooley and Jones...that was big money, undeserved in my opinion...which isn’t saying it wasn’t legally due them. We missed on collecting from Kiffin...can you say incompetence again? Then settling the “sexual” lawsuit; which was nothing but a money grab in my opinion. But it worked. In the meantime, we ruined AJ and a couple of other guys’ chances. You know guilty until proven innocent must be our credo.

It’s not just money (I hear jones snickering in the background), it is getting someone, probably capable...not too promising. Oh, and the schiano fiasco led by our dear previous AD and administration. Don’t forget to thank them.

Do I sound bitter.......? Yeah, I had to sit in Neyland Stadium Saturday. Went to see a football game...but never saw one.

Apathy is the biggest danger and I too believe we are nearly there. Next game is THE biggest game of Pruitt’s career. A loss of any kind and it will be full blown apathy. I am not sure a close win will even be enough at this point. It appears a statement blowout win is the only thing that will stave off apathy, if only for awhile. I am already there and expect nothing anymore. They broke my spirit over the last 10 years. College football used to make me plan my weekends around it, now it is I can take it or leave it depending what else is on. Thanks TN for sucking the fun out of it.

We had all hoped for improvement this year but will see another outmanned team on the lines. The Offensive line was less "offensive" but my real worries are the D-Line this year. We were catching Ga States running backs 1-2 yards past LOS on a regular basis and that will only get worse against a more athletic O-Line. As others have said we are more talented than last year but very young and green. I was wrong to quit on this team after one game and hope that we see consistent improvement throughout the year. We are likely 2 years away from where we had hoped to be this year; just the reality of it.

Bottom line we don't know how good/bad we will be this year but OP is right, we are married to CJP for a few more years.

I gotta disagree with you. Any coach would be STUPID not to come to Tennessee. You either win and get paid, or you lose and get paid. Losing is actually the better option at Tennessee, as it’s less work.

I think Pruitt is on to something lol.

I gotta disagree with you. Any coach would be STUPID not to come to Tennessee. You either win and get paid, or you lose and get paid. Losing is actually the better option at Tennessee, as it’s less work.

I think Pruitt is on to something lol.

Yea, it's a real smart move. Jones is sweeping floors at Bama, Dooley is a OC at a bottom feeder, and Kiffin is HC at a high school program.

Reactions: ChiTownVol
With Fulmer running this show it can certainly get worse.

He already bid against himself for Pruitt and overpaid him as a first timer.

Paid GA ST 950 K to come in and beat us.

And too much ego to admit his mistake this soon in hiring Pruitt.
But this really is where we are...we have to overpay and overpromise candidates to get them to come here. Yes, we overpaid for a first-time head coach...but after turning our backs and leaving Leach at the alter, not sure we had any other option but to overpay Pruitt...and we would have to overpay the next coach as well...only way we will be able to get someone in to inherit this mess. IMO.

Yea, it's a real smart move. Jones is sweeping floors at Bama, Dooley is a OC at a bottom feeder, and Kiffin is HC at a high school program.

Kiffin not applicable. He left--we did not pay a buyout to him.

But everything else in your comment is 100% on point.

Reactions: amorange
With Fulmer running this show it can certainly get worse.

He already bid against himself for Pruitt and overpaid him as a first timer.

Paid GA ST 950 K to come in and beat us.

And too much ego to admit his mistake this soon in hiring Pruitt.
NO ONES BLOOD RUNS ORGANGER THAN FULMER'S SO ALL OF YOU FULMER HATERS CAN TAKE A LONG WALK OFF A SHORT PIER

Reactions: peerless98
Whether we like it or we don't like it, Saturday night against BYU will tell us all we really need to know. If we see a much better team than we saw against GA State, then we have a chance against several SEC schools. If we don't learn that GA State was a complete fluke due to no preparation, then we are obviously in deep trouble. I can't imagine that this year's team compared to last year's is not, or should not, be better. Unfortunately, we can kick all the buckets of light bulbs in the state, but nothing will really be known until Saturday night against BYU. Flame away!!!!

Reactions: jwilliams

VN Store

Back