Now I know how Bama Felt

VolunteerNut

I hope we face UGA again. I know we are a much better team than we showed Saturday and we had the house stacked against us. UGA pushed to 3, UT to number 1, Media all picking UT, Kirk Herbstreit picking us, poking the fan base isn't loud, the cards were stacked against us. Maybe we came into the game too cocky as did the coaches but the kids never gave up. I think if we play UGA again it's a different outcome and my orange shades are off but we are a better team than we showed Saturday.
Go Longhorns.... never thought I'd ever say that. Just threw up in my mouth a little.

The Fat Lady hasn't sang yet! GBO!!!!!!!

I hope we face UGA again. I know we are a much better team than we showed Saturday and we had the house stacked against us. UGA pushed to 3, UT to number 1, Media all picking UT, Kirk Herbstreit picking us, poking the fan base isn't loud, the cards were stacked against us. Maybe we came into the game too cocky as did the coaches but the kids never gave up. I think if we play UGA again it's a different outcome and my orange shades are off but we are a better team than we showed Saturday.
Go Longhorns.... never thought I'd ever say that. Just threw up in my mouth a little.

Attttaaa Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbyyyy!!!!!!!

Hope things at well at the Nut house

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Georgia had everything conceivable go their way in the game and yet it still could’ve been close. Not to say Georgia couldn’t have beat us through the air but I would’ve liked to have made this into a one score game and got some offense rolling.

The punt almost guaranteed them another possession in great field position and stole a possession from us.

The only thing stacked against us was playing a good team on the road--which happens quite often. Losing wasn't that disappointing, but not showing up was.

Georgia had everything conceivable go their way in the game and yet it still could’ve been close. Not to say Georgia couldn’t have beat us through the air but I would’ve liked to have made this into a one score game and got some offense rolling.

The punt almost guaranteed them another possession in great field position and stole a possession from us.
How did the punt steal a possession from Tennessee? The punt literally gave Tennessee possession. It what punts do.

I've never known how a Gump feels because I've never poisoned a tree, never tea-bagged an opposing, drunk fan, and never sucker-punched a former player of a rival team. I hope I never know how a Bammer fan feels............

Reactions: Jax_Vol
How did the punt steal a possession from Tennessee? The punt literally gave Tennessee possession. It what punts do.
Against a meh team, sure. Against a solid defense though you pretty much lose half your playbook when you start out on your own one. And Georgia has an above average defense.

Side note, I don’t believe for a second that Herbie believed in his pick. More like he wanted Georgia feeling as jilted as humanly possible going into it. Ohio State got absolutely manhandled by Michigan last year. Any Ohio State fan watching Tennessee-Georgia:
1667839941686.gif

Reactions: lifeisdeep

You are a slow dawg...Mighty slow.

Like "8th grade was the senior year" kinda slow...

No. This is nothing like Bama. We expected our team to win 8 or 9 games and get a good bowl as the program builds. Bama expected to win the SEC and NC.

An 11 win season is outstanding considering the circumstances. Bama is now looking at a situation where they might not even make a NYD 6 bowl.

One program appears to be on the come. The other may have marked two games this year indicating a decline... and possibly more to come.

Reactions: onevol74 and McDad
That's possible. So explain it like I'm an 8th grader. How do you force a punt and lose a possession?
By kicking it out of bounds at the 1 yd line which almost assured that the possession would end in a punt as well... which it did... setting UGA up with a short field.

That was an outstanding play by your punter. It helped shape the course of the game. It got you an "extra" possession with a short field. Why are you resisting that idea? It was a great play on par with an interception or fumble recovery.

By kicking it out of bounds at the 1 yd line which almost assured that the possession would end in a punt as well... which it did... setting UGA up with a short field.

That was an outstanding play by your punter. It helped shape the course of the game. It got you an "extra" possession with a short field. Why are you resisting that idea? It was a great play on par with an interception or fumble recovery.
It was a perfectly executed punt. It pinned the Vols down. The Dawgs stuffed them and got the ball on a short field. That was due to the UGA defense not the punter. If the Vols had put together a couple of first downs then punted, no one would be talking about the punt. The Vols failure to get even 1 first down in that series is not the equivalent of Georgia "stealing a possession."

It was a perfectly executed punt. It pinned the Vols down. The Dawgs stuffed them and got the ball on a short field. That was due to the UGA defense not the punter.
So you think the playcalling on both sides would have been the same if it had been a touchback or a normal punt that gave UT the ball between the 30 and 50? If so, that's profoundly stupid. The punt dictated the risks that UT could take. It allowed UGA to be more aggressive.

If the Vols had put together a couple of first downs then punted, no one would be talking about the punt. The Vols failure to get even 1 first down in that series is not the equivalent of Georgia "stealing a possession."
And if Bennett and a couple of WRs not made plays that they have not made routinely this season... or if Hooker had hit the deep shots he missed or failed to take... or hands to the face had been called on 88 instead of UT's fumble standing... or a couple of holds had been called on UGA's OL....

There are 1000's of "ifs" that could have turned the game in a different direction.

UT didn't play well enough to win. UGA played a great game... probably their best of the season. But in any game there are plays that change the course of the game. I don't believe in "luck" but you can call some of those plays "unlikely good fortune". That punt was one of those plays.

Reactions: McDad
It was a perfectly executed punt. It pinned the Vols down. The Dawgs stuffed them and got the ball on a short field. That was due to the UGA defense not the punter. If the Vols had put together a couple of first downs then punted, no one would be talking about the punt. The Vols failure to get even 1 first down in that series is not the equivalent of Georgia "stealing a possession."
Go have your dawg buddies explain how the offensive playbook shrinks when you’re backed up into the endzone. Against a defense like Georgia that’s a huge huge liability. Usually in an even average game you’re happy to get out of your own endzone and get a good punt off to flip the field.

Are you trolling or seriously this dense? Your punter basically gifted your defense a restriction on what Tennessee could do and you don’t want to credit him on that possession?

You're not thinking clearly about it. Perhaps "stealing a possession" isn't the best phrase, either.

That was an amazing, athletic play by your coverage team. It established a field position which negates much of the offensive play book. Certainly more is open if the ball is fair caught at the 20 (or whatever it was). And, to be fair, the UGA defense might have shut a drive starting there down as well.

But I think we all can objectively agree starting at the 1 is a lot more challenging that starting at the 15 or 20. If not, why would we all celebrate "pinning someone deep" on a kick or punt?

So you think the playcalling on both sides would have been the same if it had been a touchback or a normal punt that gave UT the ball between the 30 and 50? If so, that's profoundly stupid. The punt dictated the risks that UT could take. It allowed UGA to be more aggressive.

And if Bennett and a couple of WRs not made plays that they have not made routinely this season... or if Hooker had hit the deep shots he missed or failed to take... or hands to the face had been called on 88 instead of UT's fumble standing... or a couple of holds had been called on UGA's OL....

There are 1000's of "ifs" that could have turned the game in a different direction.

UT didn't play well enough to win. UGA played a great game... probably their best of the season. But in any game there are plays that change the course of the game. I don't believe in "luck" but you can call some of those plays "unlikely good fortune". That punt was one of those plays.
I think at a certain point you have to realize the debate is over. This guys isn’t going to understand

Reactions: sjt18
Unless Heupel can come up with a different offensive scheme with draws, screens, and moving the QB out of the pocket there would be no benefit of playing UGA again. A game plan where your QB stands in the pocket like a statue and holds the ball is detrimental with a blitzing defense. He also needs to find someone on this team who can field a punt. Letting those punts bounce for additional yardage is flat out incompetence. That is where we are missing Velus Jones.

You're not thinking clearly about it. Perhaps "stealing a possession" isn't the best phrase, either.

That was an amazing, athletic play by your coverage team. It established a field position which negates much of the offensive play book. Certainly more is open if the ball is fair caught at the 20 (or whatever it was). And, to be fair, the UGA defense might have shut a drive starting there down as well.

But I think we all can objectively agree starting at the 1 is a lot more challenging that starting at the 15 or 20. If not, why would we all celebrate "pinning someone deep" on a kick or punt?
I don't disagree with this at all. It was clearly advantageous to Georgia and we all know how things played out. The punt certainly limited Tennessee's options. "Stole a possession" suggests Georgia took a possession from Tennessee.

Go have your dawg buddies explain how the offensive playbook shrinks when you’re backed up into the endzone. Against a defense like Georgia that’s a huge huge liability. Usually in an even average game you’re happy to get out of your own endzone and get a good punt off to flip the field.

Are you trolling or seriously this dense? Your punter basically gifted your defense a restriction on what Tennessee could do and you don’t want to credit him on that possession?
I want to give him all the credit in the world for the punt. I won't suggest his great punt "stole" a possession from Tennessee - because it didn't.

VN Store

Back