Notre Dame in Tampa?

If LSU (Kelly) wants to avoid Notre Dame, they go to Gator and we move up to Outback (ReliaQuest) on January 1.

Rose Georgia or Alabama
Orange Georgia or Alabama
Peach Mixxou
Citrus Ole Miss
ReliaQuest Tennessee
Gator LSU
I think Mizzou going to Citrus and Ole Miss going to Peach.

Im not sure who UT matches up with well. They haven’t played good football in probably a month or so. And not consistently all year.
Nobody really maybe NC St. it’s a toss up with whoever we play in the bowl but I do know 9-4 looks alot better than 8-5 so I hope we show up and try to win our bowl.

If LSU (Kelly) wants to avoid Notre Dame, they go to Gator and we move up to Outback (ReliaQuest) on January 1.

Rose Georgia or Alabama
Orange Georgia or Alabama
Peach Mixxou
Citrus Ole Miss
ReliaQuest Tennessee
Gator LSU
If Alabama loses to UGA, Ohio State would (most likely, unless all the conference championship games are upsets) end up in the Orange Bowl.

I think Mizzou going to Citrus and Ole Miss going to Peach.
More likely the other way around. Unless the committee just suddenly decides to punish Missouri for beating Arkansas by 34 points while Ole Miss beat Miss State by 10 points, Missouri's stayed ahead of Ole Miss the last 2 weeks.

Though honestly, out of all the New Years 6 Bowls, it's probably more likely for Missouri to end up in the Cotton Bowl (or possibly the Fiesta Bowl, though that one's debatable) than the Peach Bowl. Ole Miss might be right on the border depending on how Conference Championship weekend goes.

Reactions: 08Vol
Is it guaranteed that an SEC team will go to the Peach? It doesn’t have a tie in.
No but the way the rankings have been going, they will be non-playoff SEC teams in the appropriate range for the New Years 6 games.

And The general thought/tendency has been that - when given all these options (5 spots between the 3 this time) - the bowls without hard conference tie-ins tend to pick teams somewhat closer to their locations (which is why an at-large SEC teams closer to Atlanta would be projected to the Peach Bowl, an at-large SEC team closer to Texas (like Missouri) would be projected to the Cotton Bowl, and an SEC team located between Texas and Georgia (like LSU or Ole Miss) would be projected as a possibility for either the Cotton Bowl or Peach Bowl.)

The Orange has to take (1) the non-playoff ACC Champion or the highest ranked non-playoff ACC team AND (2) the highest ranked non-playoff Big Ten/SEC team (so essentially non-playoff Ohio State, UGA-if-they-lost-to Alabama, Michigan-if-they-lose-to-Iowa here).

Between the Peach, Orange, and Cotton, one spot has to be reserved for the highest ranked Group of 5 Champion.

Altogether that pretty much leaves 5 at-large spots available, either to highest ranked teams or conference championship game upset winners.

Last edited:
Reactions: 08Vol and sonofUT62
More likely the other way around. Unless the committee just suddenly decides to punish Missouri for beating Arkansas by 34 points while Ole Miss beat Miss State by 10 points, Missouri's stayed ahead of Ole Miss the last 2 weeks.

Though honestly, out of all the New Years 6 Bowls, it's probably more likely for Missouri to end up in the Cotton Bowl (or possibly the Fiesta Bowl, though that one's debatable) than the Peach Bowl. Ole Miss might be right on the border depending on how Conference Championship weekend goes.

10-2 Penn State will get last NY6 spot over 10-2 Ole Miss. Nevermind that Ole Miss has stronger SOS (Top 5 SOS vs PSU outside Top 25) and more top 25 wins...

Reactions: Zues1
10-2 Penn State will get last NY6 spot over 10-2 Ole Miss. Nevermind that Ole Miss has stronger SOS (Top 5 SOS vs PSU outside Top 25) and more top 25 wins...
Right. They’re very much teetering on the border in no man’s land. Ole Miss would need one more team to fall below them in the upcoming weekend…and there just isn’t really an opportunity for that given the Championship Week matchups (Oregon and Michigan are too high up for an upset to drop them down below 11; an 11-1 Alabama is closer…but I’m highly doubtful that, even if UGA beat them by 30, the committee would drop them below the 10-2 Ole Miss team that they beat).

Unless the committee bumps Ole Miss up over Penn State tonight, they’re pretty much out of luck. (They really needed something like Auburn to beat Alabama, an upset of Missouri by Florida, an upset of Oregon by USC, Florida & Louisville to beat FSU, etc).

It’s also worth pointing out that if Louisville beats FSU, Penn State is also probably odd-team out (since FSU would likely be ranked high enough for an at-large bid).

Edit: Yeah, the second to last rankings tonight have it:
9 - Missouri
10 - Penn State
11 - Ole Miss

So Ole Miss is pretty much out of luck/the Citrus Bowl team.

Last edited:
Right. They’re very much teetering on the border in no man’s land. Ole Miss would need one more team to fall below them in the upcoming weekend…and there just isn’t really an opportunity for that given the Championship Week matchups (Oregon and Michigan are too high up for an upset to drop them down below 11; an 11-1 Alabama is closer…but I’m highly doubtful that, even if UGA beat them by 30, the committee would drop them below the 10-2 Ole Miss team that they beat).

Unless the committee bumps Ole Miss up over Penn State tonight, they’re pretty much out of luck. (They really needed something like Auburn to beat Alabama, an upset of Missouri by Florida, an upset of Oregon by USC, Florida & Louisville to beat FSU, etc).

It’s also worth pointing out that if Louisville beats FSU, Penn State is also probably odd-team out (since FSU would likely be ranked high enough for an at-large bid).

Edit: Yeah, the second to last rankings tonight have it:
9 - Missouri
10 - Penn State
11 - Ole Miss

So Ole Miss is pretty much out of luck/the Citrus Bowl team.
I think you're right but, theoretically anyway, couldn't they choose any team in the top 12 even if a team is behind another in the rankings? At best I guess you might get Ole Miss picked instead of Missouri but you're never going to get Ole Miss and Missouri both selected and Penn State the odd man out. I'm just trying to work out a scenario that gets us to Tampa but there just doesn't seem to be a way to work the numbers that's gets LSU to the Citrus and leaves Tampa up for grabs.

So it looks like the only games that would effect SEC bowl selections outside of the playoffs and New Years 6 are: Michigan vs Iowa, Texas vs Oklahoma State, and potentially Tulane vs SMU.

If BOTH Iowa and Oklahoma State pull upsets, they go to New Year’s 6 bowls, and Missouri likely gets pushed out of the New Year’s 6 bowls (unless for some reason they drop #7 11-2 Texas below #9 10-2 Missouri, but I doubt that).

I say potentially Tulane vs SMU because maybe if Tulane wins its conference championship and clinches the Group of 5 New Years 6 at large spot, there’s a chance it might bump Ole Miss one spot up over Penn State, but I’m really not convinced that it would.

So it looks like the only games that would effect SEC bowl selections outside of the playoffs and New Years 6 are: Michigan vs Iowa, Texas vs Oklahoma State, and potentially Tulane vs SMU.

If BOTH Iowa and Oklahoma State pull upsets, they go to New Year’s 6 bowls, and Missouri likely gets pushed out of the New Year’s 6 bowls (unless for some reason they drop #7 11-2 Texas below #9 10-2 Missouri, but I doubt that).

I say potentially Tulane vs SMU because maybe if Tulane wins its conference championship and clinches the Group of 5 New Years 6 at large spot, there’s a chance it might bump Ole Miss one spot up over Penn State, but I’m really not convinced that it would.
Iowa beating MI would be like Memphis beating TN when we were good.

Reactions: onevol74

VN Store

Back