Noticed Kelly used other post players today and KK's minuets were reduced

Like i said it`s not Key is being to soft her body type is not like some of the other post players in the SEC or other good post players. But make no mistake she is getting better and a good summer workout will help.

Those double-fouls in earlier games disspell Miss Key being soft. She is, as you put it, the manifestation of her body type that will indeed transform this summer and beyond.
And, I like that she’s taking those open 8-12 foot jumpers, which indicates that she and Staff are helping her to “feel” the game. As she hits more of those - and her balance and stroke indicate that she will - defenses will be forced to front her, making the lob a deadly weapon; or double team her - creating more scoring opportunities for her teammates.
We have a special player in Miss Tamari Key.

Those double-fouls in earlier games disspell Miss Key being soft. She is, as you put it, the manifestation of her body type that will indeed transform this summer and beyond.
And, I like that she’s taking those open 8-12 foot jumpers, which indicates that she and Staff are helping her to “feel” the game. As she hits more of those - and her balance and stroke indicate that she will - defenses will be forced to front her, making the lob a deadly weapon; or double team her - creating more scoring opportunities for her teammates.

i agree with you also with out her shot blocking ability in the middle we would have a few more L then W i think. Just look at her numbers.

Key lets teams push her around and McCoy is not so easy to push around ! And Jaiden is going to get in a scrum under the goal and Key is letting other teams bully her ! Two different players... JMO
Key just seems lazy on the court. If you want to play for the Lady Vols, then play hard. If you don't, concentrate on school and become successful in your major.

Reactions: T.J.
Key just seems lazy on the court. If you want to play for the Lady Vols, then play hard. If you don't, concentrate on school and become successful in your major.

Playing college basketball is no joke. Key is playing post, as a Freshman, in one of the most physical conferences in women’s basketball. I definitely don’t see a lazy player. I see a Freshman that is learning how to play post in the SEC.

Playing college basketball is no joke. Key is playing post, as a Freshman, in one of the most physical conferences in women’s basketball. I definitely don’t see a lazy player. I see a Freshman that is learning how to play post in the SEC.
Thanks for your perspective. Glad to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Reactions: krichunaka

Yep, she’s taking a few licks. Eventually she’ll figure out she can give it right back. She needs a little muscle.

I have been thrilled that the first points in our last two games were made by Tamari Key with that sweet little 8-foot jumper. Yes, I would love if we could figure out a way to get her more of those shots. Her touch at that range is phenomenal.

I don't want to sound insensitive again about KK basketball abilities, but they are extremely limited.

I'll bite my tongue now....

Reactions: StrangeVol
I don't want to sound insensitive again about KK basketball abilities, but they are extremely limited.

I'll bite my tongue now....

Hey, I’m not disagreeing that KK has struggled and needs to make significant adjustments if she wants to be the first post off the bench again. I’m just saying that it’s not cool for mature adults to be so casually mean-spirited in our anonymous criticisms of young people.

Haha she is so lazy that she not only leads the SEC in total blocks and blocks per game but SHE (meaning TAMARI HERSELF) would rank in total blocks with TEAMS! She has more blocks then Auburn, Florida, and Ole Miss.

For those that try and downplay it because of those teams records it is still an impressive feat to have more blocks than complete teams as a whole.

So while she may have to learn to stay engaged or not get tired as quick I don’t think lazy is a way you can describe her.

Haha she is so lazy that she not only leads the SEC in total blocks and blocks per game but SHE (meaning TAMARI HERSELF) would rank in total blocks with TEAMS! She has more blocks then Auburn, Florida, and Ole Miss.

For those that try and downplay it because of those teams records it is still an impressive feat to have more blocks than complete teams as a whole.

So while she may have to learn to stay engaged or not get tired as quick I don’t think lazy is a way you can describe her.

Key reminds me of MissST’s Big T as a freshman. Both raw with lots of upside. At this point, Key has better jumper but Big T was better at rebounds and putbacks. Will be fun watching Key development over her collegiate career.

Last edited:
I think Key has hit the freshman wall look really tired and that is why she hasn't played as much lately think the coaches recognize that as well. She didn't have to put out half the energy at Cary High as she has to put out playing ten minutes here.
I would keep giving KK three minutes and what she did in those three minutes would determine if she got anymore.
The McCoy stats were not that impressive, but everyone fans and players could feel the energy she was bringing to the team and that is why she was so important to the game yesterday.
Players making mistakes were suddenly being penalized yesterday Horston out after a weak pass, KK out after dribbling into a turnover for the rest of the game. I think it is a good move to take players out after bad mistakes to talk about them right then and point out how that type of play is unacceptable.
Final thought Davis 30 points on 13 shot attempts. Where would we be without Davis and where would we be if we could get one more player to rise close to her level of play.
Great analysis. Totally didn’t think about Key and the other freshman hitting that point in the season where they’re just exhausted and playing more than they’ve ever played in their lives.

That’s insane. She’s an 18 year old kid who is playing more b-ball right now than she has in her life. I’m sure she’s tired, but far from lazy.

2 thoughts. I am sure CKH listened to all the experts on this board and as soon as McCoy has a bad game everyone will be like why is she in there? 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Thanks for your perspective. Glad to be corrected if I'm wrong.

That’s what this forum is for right to have open dialogue about Lady Vol basketball 😀. As a former player and coach, there are certain things that I notice and realize just from experience. I was a pg and I gave players like Key some extra love on rebounds and screens. When the ladies play these smaller, faster teams I can guarantee you she is getting hit the entire time she’s on the floor. It’s just known that post players don’t get nearly the amount of calls they should, so you go at them with a few extra bumps until the refs consistently call the foul. I’ve noticed Key get aggressive but also frustrated, because of this. She’s learning and will continue to get better. She is one of the players that I bet is definitely benefiting from finally getting a few days off between games.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I've noticed that Key is really solid in scoring off the dribble. If we posted her above the restricted zone not under the basket and let her take it to the basket or if quickly doubled pass it out quickly for the three. I've seen her make that catch about 8 feet out and make a dribble drive to the basket for a layup or just turn and shoot the short eight footer. Players are grabbing her arms and body her hard on the inside layups Refs not making any calls. I think she is better when she has a little more open space to move.

Reactions: luballer and Will83
A quote posted from Brown being on a radio show several weeks back on his following Key in high school while employed at Duke. The quote was something to the effect that he wondered if she was fully committed to the growth of her game. Her facial expression could lead to that impression as hers is less pronounced that some of the other starters.

and a call out to GULE for his play-on-words on this thread well-done!

VN Store

Back