(Not Official) SEC Permanent Rivals per Ross Dellenger of SI

Shoot, I am ready to see us whip usc every year. GBO

USCjr is pure trash. Have they ever even made it to the SEC championship game? Hot garbage.

Good rival for Florida perhaps.

Hope they keep the LSU / Florida thing going. That one is usually funny.

USCjr is pure trash. Have they ever even made it to the SEC championship game? Hot garbage.

63 - 28. Looks like we were trash that day. Do your homework

As a GA fan I’ll be very upset if we don’t get Auburn and Florida. As far as the other, I really haven’t any strong feelings. I do think it makes more sense for GA to get SC instead of KY. And more sense for TN to get KY. It’s going to be a tough schedule for everyone anyway most years. I’d really just like to see the biggest of rivalries stay every year.

As a GA fan I’ll be very upset if we don’t get Auburn and Florida. As far as the other, I really haven’t any strong feelings. I do think it makes more sense for GA to get SC instead of KY. And more sense for TN to get KY. It’s going to be a tough schedule for everyone anyway most years. I’d really just like to see the biggest of rivalries stay every year.

It feels like a lot of people are forgetting this. Some people on here are saying “Give me Bama, UGA and Florida every year.” Why? We’re gonna play a crazy schedule anyway. And if we really believe our goal is to make the SEC championship game and then to win a National Championship, we’re going to play a top 5-10 team in the SECC game, and then win 3 or 4 more games to win a CFP title. The players are going to be beat up even more than they have been. This is going to be a marathon and there is no reason to pile on.

It feels like a lot of people are forgetting this. Some people on here are saying “Give me Bama, UGA and Florida every year.” Why? We’re gonna play a crazy schedule anyway. And if we really believe our goal is to make the SEC championship game and then to win a National Championship, we’re going to play a top 5-10 team in the SECC game, and then win 3 or 4 more games to win a CFP title. The players are going to be beat up even more than they have been. This is going to be a marathon and there is no reason to pile on.
SEC Championship teams will have to be 3 deep at each position to get through the SEC gauntlet, then the playoffs

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
They need to schedule everyone's top 3 rivals (or as close to it as possible) and let the chips fall where they may. Everyone will be playing every team at least twice in a four year period. If your top 3 rivals are great, you'll still rotate the lesser teams. If yours are 3 gimmes, you'll still have to rotate the good teams.

No need to overthink it. Preserve tradition as much as possible.

Here is my stab at it:

Arky, OU, Texas, Mizzou

Florida, UGA, MSU, Ole Miss

Bama, Auburn, A&M, Vandy

Tenn, LSU, UK, USCe

Logic:

1. Every time schedule resets, UGA gets a double dip on the MS schools it seems

2. They will keep Bama/Auburn, OM/MSU, UF/UGA, Texas/OU together. This leaves LSU in our pod

3. I'd suspect Texas has told the SEC they don't want A&M that often. AM gets hosed by being placed with Bama.
They're not doing pods. They've said this for awhile, no pods. 🙂

Last edited:
I think the picture is worth a thousand words, I don't see any free lunches.

Totally agree that there isn't much competitive difference between UK and Sakerlina. In fact, I think UK has beaten them more often than not in the last decade and change.

View attachment 539815

This is pretty good. I would make minor tweaks in bold:
Ark: uTa, Mizzou, OK
Aub: AL, FL, GA
AL: Aub, UT, MSU
FL: Aub, GA, SCAR
GA: Aub, FL, SCAR
LSU: aTm, Ole Miss, MSU
KY: UT, Vandy, Mizzou
Mizzou: KY, OK, Ark
MSU: Ole Miss, LSU, AL
Ole Miss: MSU, LSU, aTm
OK: uTa, Ark, Mizzou
SCAR: FL, GA, Vandy
UT: AL, KY, Vandy
uTa: Ark, OK, aTm,
aTm: uTa, LSU, Ole Miss
Vandy: UT, KY, SCAR

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
I like this, except that Auburn will scream bloody murder and probably prevent it.

Yeah it is tough but Aub and FL played every year until SEC divisions started.

With 9 games, you're also playing everybody every two years anyways. No more UGA and Bama playing every 10 years.
Yeah, I know Auburn and Florida used to be annual, but I just think Auburn will cry foul big time and head that off. They'll get Bama, UGA and probably a MS school.

In 2010, they did. Then they were a 3-point loss to Auburn away in 2011…then a
to 23-21 loss to LSU away in 2012 (6-2 to UF’s and UGA’s 7-1; they’d probably have won the 3-way tie by BCS ranking in the end),…followed by just missing out in 2013 (their 6-2 to Missouri’s 7-1).

The only non-Vanderbilt-or-Kentucky-schools that haven’t ever made it to the SEC Championship game are Ole Miss and Texas A&M.

But to answer your question, in 2010 yes.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
In 2010, they did. Then they were a 3-point loss to Auburn away in 2011…then a
to 23-21 loss to LSU away in 2012 (6-2 to UF’s and UGA’s 7-1; they’d probably have won the 3-way tie by BCS ranking in the end),…followed by just missing out in 2013 (their 6-2 to Missouri’s 7-1).

The only non-Vanderbilt-or-Kentucky-schools that haven’t ever made it to the SEC Championship game are Ole Miss and Texas A&M.

But to answer your question, in 2010 yes.
Which unfortunately is also more recently than we've made it. Overall though, our history dwarfs there's big time.

so basically in yours auburn gets boned with our old schedule lol

People do not understand that the permanent rivals don't need to be "balanced". They need to be rivals. It's a 9 game schedule and everyone will have a different 6 rotating teams for balance. Never going to be perfect. It's not perfectly balanced now. Florida and Bama are our main rivals. Pick whoever you want for the other one.

Reactions: ButchPlz
so basically in yours auburn gets boned with our old schedule lol
You could make an argument that Auburn already has a tougher schedule annually year in, year out than us or anyone else because they also play Bama and Georgia every year already and then play the rest of the SEC West instead of the rest of the SEC East and the West has been stronger most years since the 90's ended.

There has to be some accommodating of
requests that we don’t really see. Oklahoma would love to gain access to the Florida recruiting. Back before divisions, Florida played Auburn and LSU every year.

You could make an argument that Auburn already has a tougher schedule annually year in, year out than us or anyone else because they also play Bama and Georgia every year already and then play the rest of the SEC West instead of the rest of the SEC East and the West has been stronger most years since the 90's ended.
This is true especially since the Gators have fell off. But before then it was rough because unless we came up lucky and got like Miss State or Arkansas as the second draw we are playing 2 strong west teams plus Georgia Florida and whatever other team gets it nuts up in the east that year. I do think the West has been recently more top-heavy but the overall difference isn't like the Big Ten.

The east normally has 2 flat-out bad teams and the west 1. But, even that is a perspective thing. Every team but what 3 in the SEC was bowl eligible and those 3 missed by 1 game. no other conference comes close to that level of parity. In the big ten they have 3 teams all in the same division and I swear you put ANY SEC team in their west bracket and they make a bowl if not the championship game every year with the schedules those guys play.

VN Store

Back