Not Calling a Timeout

Willy14

I'm a big Rick Barnes fan, but not calling a timeout during an 18-0 run when the momentum started shifting is inexcusable. Especially with a young team that started turning the ball over. I don't know how you can explain not calling a timeout.

I think he should've called a timeout a few possessions before the TV timeout, I think he was waiting for the TV timeout, but I think calming the team down during that streak of 3-4 horrific possessions before the TV timeout would've been a good idea. The team looked completely lost and panicked for a few possessions before the TV timeout.

I think he should've called a timeout a few possessions before the TV timeout, I think he was waiting for the TV timeout, but I think calming the team down during that streak of 3-4 horrific possessions before the TV timeout would've been a good idea. The team looked completely lost and panicked for a few possessions before the TV timeout.
Agree 100%, not calling that timeout did not lose us the game but it sure didn't help.

I'm a big Rick Barnes fan, but not calling a timeout during an 18-0 run when the momentum started shifting is inexcusable. Especially with a young team that started turning the ball over. I don't know how you can explain not calling a timeout.
Yep should have called one a lot sooner. Doubt it would have mattered. Even minimal ball pressure we could not handle. It was a turnover epidemic.

I don't think not calling a time-out was the sole reason we lost. I think it was a poor coaching decision regardless though.

I think Fulkerson's performance was likely the reason for the loss today. He was frustrated by the athleticism and size of Auburn and was bullied in the paint.

I don't think not calling a time-out was the sole reason we lost. I think it was a poor coaching decision regardless though.

I think Fulkerson's performance was likely the reason for the loss today. He was frustrated by the athleticism and size of Auburn and was bullied in the paint.
That and Vescovi’s trouble hurt I thought.

Also, Pearl never used a timeout during the run that put UT up 17. He sucks, overpaid, fire his ass

Pearl was at home and his team most likely is already in the tournament. Whatever slim chance the Vols had needed a big road win today.

Maybe Barnes didn’t call time out because he didn’t have a plan to beat the press that Pearls teams always use. Pearl never liked to use time outs here - when asked he said he just wanted Loftin to hit a 3 and didn’t need a TO to right the ship. Barnes does not have that go to player this year. It may or may not have been enough, but my opinion is a time out or two during that run could have helped calm the team down - maybe a set play to exploit the pressure.

Reactions: Kungfuman2000
You also want to have them at the end of a close game. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. TN has called TOs in almost every game when they've been unable to make an out of bounds pass. Coaches should have been aware on the 10 second call and called a TO. But the TOs (23?) and inconsistent foul interpretation cost TN this game.

Also, how can Pearl run almost all the way to the free throw line and there's no call? What did the TN bench do to warrant a technical foul while Pearl is a raving lunatic?

The coach intentionally calling a time out to essentially say, "Alright guys, let's take a breath and get back to doing what we do," is entirely different mentally than another turnover or bad play on your part leading to a stoppage of time.

VN Store

Back