Not blaming the refs at all but

Again... 38 FTs to 16 is ridiculous.
It’s not just this past game.

See the Purdue game. And the Kansas game.

It gets really annoying when you start looking at the stats from football.

There needs to be an official inquiry from the athletic department or the university of Tennessee. I’m not even joking. What is going on is unacceptable and it’s not a coincidence. Needs to be stopped right now.

I wonder if the refs perception, in general, is colored by the reputation we have for being a physical team. I don’t know if officials go into games thinking about a team’s style or not, but I imagine it’s difficult for them to be completely unbiased if they’ve constantly heard(or seen) about how physical we have been over the years.

There needs to be an official inquiry from the athletic department or the university of Tennessee. I’m not even joking. What is going on is unacceptable and it’s not a coincidence. Needs to be stopped right now.
Common theme is a dominant big man who goes up strong around the basket, we do not have that.

That is obviously a very lopsided Ft count BUT the refs didn't leave guys wide open the whole first half. Effort by the team was TERRIBLE out of the gate and UNC took advantage of it. Looked like the team didn't have their legs under them from the start...after a week off. Could've been a famous Barnes running the team to death after a loss.

That’s 99% style…we don’t have a guy like Bacot who’s going to draw fouls down low in the post, Aidoo goes up soft, not strong.
Guess have been dreaming, but I seem to remember a lot of talk about our bigs really being big and deep. If so what the hell has happened?

It's been mentioned in this thread, and I've mentioned it for a couple years, but we rely on outside shooting. You aren't going to draw many fouls playing offense like we do. We just take shots that don't generate contact most often. We aren't a pound it in the paint offense. We aren't a drive the ball to the basket offense.

On the other side, we play a physical style of defense that is at risk of foul calls, particularly in the paint where our lack of size gets exposed, especially against the schedule we've played so far. Edey, Dickinson, and Bacot are three of the best big men in the country, and they, by themselves combined to shoot 35 FTs against us.

We've also played from behind in the last three games and we're forced to foul at the end of games to extend them. That has contributed to the discrepancy.

All that being said, we do seem to...for whatever reason...get the ire of officials on the ticky-tack fouls. Two examples...Santi's 3rd foul (I think), last night, 35' from the basket after he got his pocket picked and went for the loose ball...that's an atrocious call. He did nothing. I'm not even sure he made contact other than brushing the guy as they both went for the ball. Mashack's foul at the end of the 1st half...Cormac kicks his feet out to get fouled and the officials bite on it. Just another awful call and on TV, it was so obvious. Those are just two examples, and there are many more already in this young season where I just look at officials and ask myself, "what did you see there?".

We made our own bed in the 1st half last night, and just got beat by three good teams, straight up, but those three teams shooting 108 combined FTs in three games is ridiculous. By comparison, we shot 54, exactly half as many. And most of those came in the Purdue foulapalooza. I guess I'm fine accepting that our style is not conducive to fouls going in our favor, but I'm getting really sick and tired of the BS touch fouls we have to see getting called where there is little to no contact, or worse, officials just assume or anticipate foul call against us.

Guess have been dreaming, but I seem to remember a lot of talk about our bigs really being big and deep. If so what the hell has happened?
Not sure where you saw that talk? It’s why we have all talked about playing small ball is because we aren’t overly talented or deep in the post with bigs.

The 2 freshmen are still a year or two away. Aidoo and Awaka are really what we have for this year. And neither should be the primary big for a high level team.

I wonder if the refs perception, in general, is colored by the reputation we have for being a physical team. I don’t know if officials go into games thinking about a team’s style or not, but I imagine it’s difficult for them to be completely unbiased if they’ve constantly heard(or seen) about how physical we have been over the years.
That’s all Bilas talks about when he calls a UT game. He whined about it last year and hasn’t shut up about it.
That’s what happens when the networks hire people who can’t be impartial. They tend to influence others

Last edited:
That is obviously a very lopsided Ft count BUT the refs didn't leave guys wide open the whole first half. Effort by the team was TERRIBLE out of the gate and UNC took advantage of it. Looked like the team didn't have their legs under them from the start...after a week off. Could've been a famous Barnes running the team to death after a loss.
We "over help" when it is not necessary - leaving guys wide open. It has been a recurring issue with Barnes' teams from the get go. So hard to watch...

You know when you look at every game it actually gets MORE frustrating.
1701356048647.png

Because against Wisconsin, Wofford, and Syracuse we averaged over 24 trips to the free throw line. But then against Kansas and UNC just 12 trips.

So really the only thing that's been inconsistent is how the teams we've played have been officiated.

Reactions: WhenUrVolUrVFL
It's been mentioned in this thread, and I've mentioned it for a couple years, but we rely on outside shooting. You aren't going to draw many fouls playing offense like we do. We just take shots that don't generate contact most often. We aren't a pound it in the paint offense. We aren't a drive the ball to the basket offense.

On the other side, we play a physical style of defense that is at risk of foul calls, particularly in the paint where our lack of size gets exposed, especially against the schedule we've played so far. Edey, Dickinson, and Bacot are three of the best big men in the country, and they, by themselves combined to shoot 35 FTs against us.

We've also played from behind in the last three games and we're forced to foul at the end of games to extend them. That has contributed to the discrepancy.

All that being said, we do seem to...for whatever reason...get the ire of officials on the ticky-tack fouls. Two examples...Santi's 3rd foul (I think), last night, 35' from the basket after he got his pocket picked and went for the loose ball...that's an atrocious call. He did nothing. I'm not even sure he made contact other than brushing the guy as they both went for the ball. Mashack's foul at the end of the 1st half...Cormac kicks his feet out to get fouled and the officials bite on it. Just another awful call and on TV, it was so obvious. Those are just two examples, and there are many more already in this young season where I just look at officials and ask myself, "what did you see there?".

We made our own bed in the 1st half last night, and just got beat by three good teams, straight up, but those three teams shooting 108 combined FTs in three games is ridiculous. By comparison, we shot 54, exactly half as many. And most of those came in the Purdue foulapalooza. I guess I'm fine accepting that our style is not conducive to fouls going in our favor, but I'm getting really sick and tired of the BS touch fouls we have to see getting called where there is little to no contact, or worse, officials just assume or anticipate foul call against us.
Exactly this. Multiple things can be true, we can play like crap, play a style not conducive to getting fouls called AND the official can suck.

The foul shot disparity in and of itself is eye opening. Like many have said, that can also be attributed to us fouling on shooting attempts vs. us getting fouled by reach ins, non shooting blocks and such. It’s hard to deny we DO seem to get called for a lot of “tricky tack” or “anticipated fouls”. Is it the Duke game and all the media calling us wrestlers, etc.? Maybe.

The thing that sticks out at me the most is the way fouls sometimes seem to “run in streaks”. That was REALLY apparent in the Purdue game. Are officials “trying to keep them even”? IDK. The thing that bugs me most about the Purdue game is that despite it being a “foulapalooza”, Purdue magically stopped fouling with 8 minutes in the game. TN committed 10 from that point on and Purdue shot 19 FTs and UT shot none. I SAW Purdue commit fouls that weren’t called and I saw UT get called for fouls that weren’t (Awaka fouling out on 2 shoulders to the chest). That particular stretch IS the disparity in fouls and FTs for the game…..

I’m not really bothered by the refs last night. I do question Knecht getting bloody on a tied up ball call instead of a foul. But then I don’t know if Knecht stepping on a defender’s foot and turning his ankle should be called tripping.

The absence of 3 second violations on the 7’4” and 7’2” centers playing for Purdue and Kansas do bother me though. I counted at least 5-seconds on Edey more than once.

What does bother me are inconsistent foul calls. Seems like we are again finding our most important players on the bench early with touch fouls and then they get battered later in games without fouls being called. Officiating is an ongoing issue. The conference/NCAA needs a more professional approach using more of their billions of $$ to fix.

What is going on? Are you suggesting that even outside of the SEC, officials have it in for Tennessee? There's some grand plan?

We "over help" when it is not necessary - leaving guys wide open. It has been a recurring issue with Barnes' teams from the get go. So hard to watch...
Yes! I really hoped this team would be different offensively. It is still early but we have seen enough to know that scoring droughts will still be there and we can't rely on DK to shoot us out of all of them.

VN Store

Back