Non-LadyVol Recruiting information

And there was Connecticut's '99 class of Cash, Williams, Jones, Bird, and Keirsten Walters--all 5 in the top 15. That class (later, minus Walters who had to give up the game due to health reasons) made 3 FFs and won 2 NCs.
if you folks remember the 1st great recruiting class in womens basketball but never won title which i'm stil shocked n mad.it was nikki mccray,dana johnson,vonda ward,rochone dilligard.tiffany woosley and spinderella transfered to us.that class man just well they should won at least 2 titles but hey happens great teams.woosley n michelle were the 2 that were player yrs throughout season.the usa today,ap n most polls had mccray,johnson,woosley n michelle all 1st team high school all-americans.if mercedes had dana johnson's attitude she would be unstoppable.

Reactions: 1 person
Would add that the class of Glory Johnson, Amber Gray, Shekinnna Stricklen, Alicia Manning, Alyssa Brewer, plus redshirt Kelley Cain was higher rated than this Baylor class, and we all know how that turned out. A highly ranked class is not a guarantee for anything. They were hurt the first year by the fact that they had to start several of the freshmen and there was little experience on the team, especially at PG, then injuries/defections/lack of a superstar/Pat's illness pretty much doomed them to multiple Elite 8 appearances at best.

I think Baylor's freshmen will benefit from having experience at all 5 positions and likely 2 well established go-to players (Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox) to take the pressure of the freshmen, but you still never know.

if you folks remember the 1st great recruiting class in womens basketball but never won title which i'm stil shocked n mad.it was nikki mccray,dana johnson,vonda ward,rochone dilligard.tiffany woosley and spinderella transfered to us.that class man just well they should won at least 2 titles but hey happens great teams.woosley n michelle were the 2 that were player yrs throughout season.the usa today,ap n most polls had mccray,johnson,woosley n michelle all 1st team high school all-americans.if mercedes had dana johnson's attitude she would be unstoppable.

I agree about Mercedes' attitude!

That class is a little muddled, however. Nikki McCray was actually in the recruiting class ahead of the one you have singled out. She signed along with Nikki Caldwell and Peggy Evans but was a Prop 48 victim or was injured (or both--it's a little foggy now). She gained the lost year back and was absorbed into that monster class.

But I agree that the four signees--Johnson, Ward, Woosley, and Dilligard--formed one of the most jaw-dropping classes we've had that didn't produce a NC. The first 3 were 1st team Parade AAs, and Dilligard was 3rd team. Marciniak would have been another 1st teamer, but she signed with ND before transferring to TN and fell into the subsequent graduating class that won the NC.

I feel that the first big impressive class was the 1980 class that brought in Mary Ostrowski, Tanya Haave, Mina Todd, Paula Towns, Lynne Collins, and Pat Hatmaker. There were 3 Parade AAs (until Todd transferred). Towns was a quick, physical post who was a terror on the boards. That class seemed destined to win Tennessee's first NC but could muster only 3 Final Fours, playing for 1 AIAW Championship and 1 NCAA Championship.

Last edited:
Would add that the class of Glory Johnson, Amber Gray, Shekinnna Stricklen, Alicia Manning, Alyssa Brewer, plus redshirt Kelley Cain was higher rated than this Baylor class, and we all know how that turned out. A highly ranked class is not a guarantee for anything. They were hurt the first year by the fact that they had to start several of the freshmen and there was little experience on the team, especially at PG, then injuries/defections/lack of a superstar/Pat's illness pretty much doomed them to multiple Elite 8 appearances at best.

I think Baylor's freshmen will benefit from having experience at all 5 positions and likely 2 well established go-to players (Kalani Brown and Lauren Cox) to take the pressure of the freshmen, but you still never know.

turned out to have a lot of slow players--Cain, Manning, Brewer were all slow. Stricklin was good but enigmatic--often played one very good half but not two.

turned out to have a lot of slow players--Cain, Manning, Brewer were all slow. Stricklin was good but enigmatic--often played one very good half but not two.

Seems like Strick also had to play a lot of point guard...at least one season. Kind of a blur now.

Reactions: 2 people

Stricklen played Point Guard for most of her Career at UT instead of on the Wing, had we had a capable PG it might’ve been a different story for her as well as us

Reactions: 4 people
Best player on that squad was Amber Gray. so sad she had her medical issue to overcome.

I wonder how she is doing these days?

I agree about Mercedes' attitude!

That class is a little muddled, however. Nikki McCray was actually in the recruiting class ahead of the one you have singled out. She signed along with Nikki Caldwell and Peggy Evans but was a Prop 48 victim or was injured (or both--it's a little foggy now). She gained the lost year back and was absorbed into that monster class.

But I agree that the four signees--Johnson, Ward, Woosley, and Dilligard--formed one of the most jaw-dropping classes we've had that didn't produce a NC. The first 3 were 1st team Parade AAs, and Dilligard was 3rd team. Marciniak would have been another 1st teamer, but she signed with ND before transferring to TN and fell into the subsequent graduating class that won the NC.

I feel that the first big impressive class was the 1980 class that brought in Mary Ostrowski, Tanya Haave, Mina Todd, Paula Towns, Lynne Collins, and Pat Hatmaker. There were 3 Parade AAs (until Todd transferred). Towns was a quick, physical post who was a terror on the boards. That class seemed destined to win Tennessee's first NC but could muster only 3 Final Fours, playing for 1 AIAW Championship and 1 NCAA Championship.

hey going way back n forgot bout towns,haave,ostrowski,collins good job going back

Olivia Nelson-Ododa is announcing this Wednesday.
It will either be (order in her official visits): South Carolina, Florida State, UCONN, or Duke.

Olivia Nelson-Ododa is announcing this Wednesday.
It will either be (order in her official visits): South Carolina, Florida State, UCONN, or Duke.

I hope it South Carolina so we can beat her three times a year and make her regret not coming to Tennessee. :good!:

Reactions: 4 people
I hope it South Carolina so we can beat her three times a year and make her regret not coming to Tennessee. :good!:

I hope she ends up at Duke or Florida State because I think at UConn Geno would know how to use her and Dawn would also get great use out of her. At Duke and FSU she wont be a focal point as both of those schools run their offense through their guards and not their post players.

I never ever wish for great players to attend rival schools...especially in our conference where we play them 3 or 4 times per season.

Reactions: 3 people
Why hasn’t Dawn’s NC helped her in the recruiting ranks? Are things looking better for USC in 2019??

Why hasn’t Dawn’s NC helped her in the recruiting ranks? Are things looking better for USC in 2019??

It will be interesting when the team rankings are updated! Uconn should move into the top five moving Tennessee down to six ??

South Carolina has two recruits with Ajia graduates.... she better get some more transfers or juco players!!! They are not in the top twenty rankings!!! 😁

It will be interesting when the team rankings are updated! Uconn should move into the top five moving Tennessee down to six ??

South Carolina has two recruits with Ajia graduates.... she better get some more transfers or juco players!!! They are not in the top twenty rankings!!! 😁

Actually both Dan Olson and Chris Hansen said SC would move into the top 10 after the addition of Saxton to top 10 recruit Henderson. Also expect Saxton to shoot up the rankings after the summer she had with Team Elite Hubbard. SC will look different without Aja but the cupboard if far from bare. Bianca Jackson remember that name her game resembles Tiffany Mitchell's a lot and Mitchell was rated #46 in her class and went on to be a two time All-SEC POY and All American.

Hoopgurlz who has rated some of our players lower we'll still be in the top seven. I do not agree with their Collins rating doubt anyone besides them does.

Actually both Dan Olson and Chris Hansen said SC would move into the top 10 after the addition of Saxton to top 10 recruit Henderson. Also expect Saxton to shoot up the rankings after the summer she had with Team Elite Hubbard. SC will look different without Aja but the cupboard if far from bare. Bianca Jackson remember that name her game resembles Tiffany Mitchell's a lot and Mitchell was rated #46 in her class and went on to be a two time All-SEC POY and All American.

Agree with them looking different! 6’2” will not give you the same inside presence as Ajia or Choates!
They will have to change their offense to more outsiders shooting threes. Not saying it won’t work ? Just saying it will be a different game for USC!!

VN Store

Back