Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Baylor will be looking for a new coach after next season. As soon as the rest of the players Kim recruited are gone they will be a sub .500 team without a doubt. Collen is no coach.

They have two players in LPB and Fontleroy that I suspect will be in the portal and I wouldn’t be mad to have either one. Two really talented kids that are going to languish at a crappy program with a crappy coach if they don’t leave.

I think this is a bad take. Collen has yet to prove that she can consistently coach at the highest level but she has done a reasonable job under less than ideal circumstances over the last two seasons. She has done extremely well in developing Darianna Littlepage-Buggs and Bella Fontleroy. She will also have Dre-Una Edwards eligible next season and possibly Aijha Blackwell will be back (since injury concerns have probably ruined her chances of being a first-round WNBA pick). With a starting five of Andrews, Blackwell, Edwards, Littlepage-Buggs, and Fontleroy, Baylor is a top 10 team in 2023-24. And Collen's players love her because, unlike Mulkey, she is straight with them, cares about them, and will never throw them under the bus. And she has done a decent job of recruiting, both at the high school level as well as throug hthe transfer portal.

I suppose that being so different from her predecessor might make her look naive. But if she can deliver results next season, the recognition will come.

I think this is a bad take. Collen has yet to prove that she can consistently coach at the highest level but she has done a reasonable job under less than ideal circumstances over the last two seasons. She has done extremely well in developing Darianna Littlepage-Buggs and Bella Fontleroy. She will also have Dre-Una Edwards eligible next season and possibly Aijha Blackwell will be back (since injury concerns have probably ruined her chances of being a first-round WNBA pick). With a starting five of Andrews, Blackwell, Edwards, Littlepage-Buggs, and Fontleroy, Baylor is a top 10 team in 2023-24. And Collen's players love her because, unlike Mulkey, she is straight with them, cares about them, and will never throw them under the bus. And she has done a decent job of recruiting, both at the high school level as well as throug hthe transfer portal.

I suppose that being so different from her predecessor might make her look naive. But if she can deliver results next season, the recognition will come.

Time will tell. I don’t like the way she runs her teams though. I’ll tell you that much. They under achieved with what they had this year in the Big 12.

She took over a program at the top of its game and has taken it down several notches immediately. That was not a rebuild job it was a reload job and she dropped the bullets.

Time will tell. I don’t like the way she runs her teams though. I’ll tell you that much. They under achieved with what they had this year in the Big 12.

She took over a program at the top of its game and has taken it down several notches immediately. That was not a rebuild job it was a reload job and she dropped the bullets.
From an outside view, she is running the team offense and defense much like a wnba team. Not fully convinced her system will work.

I agree she took over a tough job and the expectations are sky high. I think she left a very bad taste in terms of her coaching ability when she lost in the 2nd round at home with 2 first round WNBA picks (Egbo and Smith), 2nd rounder (Jordan Lewis), Sarah Andrews

They should on paper be very good next year as it’s senior heavy with Andrews, Blackwell, Edwards, Littlepage bugs but if things don’t look significantly improved next season it’s gonna be tough for her down the road

Wild to me though that Baylor has become a morgue with fan attendance. It’s plumetted since Mulkey left

From an outside view, she is running the team offense and defense much like a wnba team. Not fully convinced her system will work.

I agree she took over a tough job and the expectations are sky high. I think she left a very bad taste in terms of her coaching ability when she lost in the 2nd round at home with 2 first round WNBA picks (Egbo and Smith), 2nd rounder (Jordan Lewis), Sarah Andrews

They should on paper be very good next year as it’s senior heavy with Andrews, Blackwell, Edwards, Littlepage bugs but if things don’t look significantly improved next season it’s gonna be tough for her down the road

Wild to me though that Baylor has become a morgue with fan attendance. It’s plumetted since Mulkey left

That is IF they say. I suspect they have several transfer out.

That is IF they say. I suspect they have several transfer out.
I think we have all seen this movie before

Legendary coach leaves and usually the next coach can't live up to expectations or maintain it. Although it usually takes a few years before the drop off. But there were signs in year one that there was a crack in the armor

Only ND seems to be doing well it seems after Muffet retired. Ivey has their program in good shape and very competitive

I think we have all seen this movie before

Legendary coach leaves and usually the next coach can't live up to expectations or maintain it. Although it usually takes a few years before the drop off. But there were signs in year one that there was a crack in the armor

Only ND seems to be doing well it seems after Muffet retired. Ivey has their program in good shape and very competitive

I agree, Muffet did an excellent job taking her ego out of the equation. I think she retired at the perfect time with the perfect replacement. Not an easy feat for a great program.

I think Geno knows UCONN will be caput once he’s done so he’ll flame out instead of bowing out lol.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Collen started out a little uncertain. Between not having recruits and not being able to add through the portal, she was left with a seven player rotation. Once the team found its footing under Collen, it ran well and Baylor won the Big 12 regular season. But the Bears were also tired by tournament time. As such the losses in the Big 12 and the NCAA tournaments were not altogether surprising. Still, I will grant you, that that team should have advanced further in the 2022 NCAA Tournament.

I cannot agree about Baylor's up-and-down 2022-23 season. Collen managed to bring in a very good high school class but she was unable to add a true post from the portal. The forward, Edwards, that she did sign ended up being blocked from playing by a petty, letter-of-the-law, move by Kentucky - those waivers are signed by default by the overwhelming majority of coaches/ADs. And then Blackwell went down with what turned out to be essentially a season-ending injury. Subsequently, Baylor ended up with a starting five of three guards under 5'7", a 6'1" freshman, and a 6'0" post with their primary and only substitute of note being another 6'1" freshman. Of the three starting guards only one can create her shot, one is mostly unwilling to shoot, and one is a perimeter shooter who is shooting 31% on her 3-point shot. And the 6'0" post player is unable to stay on the floor in crunch time due to foul trouble. Under those circumstances a 19-11 record is completely reasonable. Of course, Baylor's fan base is unhappy. Between worshiping the former coach and envying her new team's record and next recruiting class, they have stopped actively supporting the team in droves and showered Collen with social media toxicity. Through it all Collen has managed to carry herself with class even if she made the mistake of directly addressing the social media criticism.

I know that college basketball is a business and Collen is definitely on the clock. She has significant returning talent and open roster spots to add through the portal. She will definitely be on the hot seat if Baylor does not significantly improve in 2023-24.

Collen started out a little uncertain. Between not having recruits and not being able to add through the portal, she was left with a seven player rotation. Once the team found its footing under Collen, it ran well and Baylor won the Big 12 regular season. But the Bears were also tired by tournament time. As such the losses in the Big 12 and the NCAA tournaments were not altogether surprising. Still, I will grant you, that that team should have advanced further in the 2022 NCAA Tournament.

I cannot agree about Baylor's up-and-down 2022-23 season. Collen managed to bring in a very good high school class but she was unable to add a true post from the portal. The forward, Edwards, that she did sign ended up being blocked from playing by a petty, letter-of-the-law, move by Kentucky - those waivers are signed by default by the overwhelming majority of coaches/ADs. And then Blackwell went down with what turned out to be essentially a season-ending injury. Subsequently, Baylor ended up with a starting five of three guards under 5'7", a 6'1" freshman, and a 6'0" post with their primary and only substitute of note being another 6'1" freshman. Of the three starting guards only one can create her shot, one is mostly unwilling to shoot, and one is a perimeter shooter who is shooting 31% on her 3-point shot. And the 6'0" post player is unable to stay on the floor in crunch time due to foul trouble. Under those circumstances a 19-11 record is completely reasonable. Of course, Baylor's fan base is unhappy. Between worshiping the former coach and envying her new team's record and next recruiting class, they have stopped actively supporting the team in droves and showered Collen with social media toxicity. Through it all Collen has managed to carry herself with class even if she made the mistake of directly addressing the social media criticism.

I know that college basketball is a business and Collen is definitely on the clock. She has significant returning talent and open roster spots to add through the portal. She will definitely be on the hot seat if Baylor does not significantly improve in 2023-24.

That’s way too much to read. Are you a Baylor fan? Why so defensive? We all have opinions lol.

Honestly think you might be Nikki herself 😂😂😂

I respect your opinion, but I do not think she has it at all. Just doesn’t have the X factor.

Blaming last season on being tired is silly. They got beat fair and square. She got massively out coached by Dawn Plitzuweit who beat her with a bunch of farm girls.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
I'm sure that's up to a medical team, parents, and player. What type of knee injury was it?

Don’t know don’t care but it’s a horrible idea.

Shall be use Bueckers as an example? She did the same thing and we see exactly where that landed her….on the bench with an ACL tear.

Don’t know don’t care but it’s a horrible idea.

Shall be use Bueckers as an example? She did the same thing and we see exactly where that landed her….on the bench with an ACL tear.
Actually, in a similar train of thought, wasn’t Zachai Zeigler sporting a compression wrap on the knee when he tore his ACL? Pretty sure that was the case. They want to play if cleared by the medical staff, guaranteed.

Bueckers tore her knee this season not last. If only the players were clairvoyant.

Or weren’t playing for a program that consistently puts winning over players health. Ducharme is going to have permanent brain damage at this rate. It’s disgusting.

I do not watch or follow UConn because the entire program makes me want to puke. I worry about their players though. It’s sad.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Actually, in a similar train of thought, wasn’t Zachai Zeigler sporting a compression wrap on the knee when he tore his ACL? Pretty sure that was the case. They want to play if cleared by the medical staff, guaranteed.

Exactly and it was a horrendous idea. Sometimes the coach has to be the coach and has to look at the player and say “No.” it’s not all about winning.

Thank you UConn for beating down Villanova. Lets get a few more so it's worse than our loss to SC.

Did I hear them say Ducharme had an icepack to head again??? Yet playing??? Unbelievable.

IMO if they get to Final Four, Geno should be NCOY. I'm not a fan of routinely giving it to the coach of the best team. What did she do? Meet expectations? If as often claimed you have the best roster in basketball history who are also Christ-like Daughters of the Way, how hard was it?

Reactions: VolBall09
Or weren’t playing for a program that consistently puts winning over players health. Ducharme is going to have permanent brain damage at this rate. It’s disgusting.

I do not watch or follow UConn because the entire program makes me want to puke. I worry about their players though. It’s sad.
For someone that doesn't follow UConn, you seem to know alot about them.

VN Store

Back