Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

All I know is Dawn has brought South Carolina from the bottom of the SEC both performance-wise and attendance-wise to the top in the nation in both, so whatever she is doing, it is clearly working.

While I'm not directly accusing anyone here of anything, it's not uncommon for white people who have perhaps not been exposed more than extremely superficially to Black people/culture, to misunderstand Black people's methods of communicating, motivating and celebrating as somehow being, well, just TOO TOO MUCH. Instead of embracing the differences in style in building themselves and their circles up, a lot of folks who don't know and love a lot of Black people somehow find them offensive. And it's really just a cultural difference of style -- no biggie. But a lot of white peeps sure get bent out of shape over it. I'm not one of those.
Wow, I am surprised you put all " Black people" as culturally the same. Black people have many different cultures, styles, and ways of expressing themselves just like White, Brown etc.

All I know is Dawn has brought South Carolina from the bottom of the SEC both performance-wise and attendance-wise to the top in the nation in both, so whatever she is doing, it is clearly working.

While I'm not directly accusing anyone here of anything, it's not uncommon for white people who have perhaps not been exposed more than extremely superficially to Black people/culture, to misunderstand Black people's methods of communicating, motivating and celebrating as somehow being, well, just TOO TOO MUCH. Instead of embracing the differences in style in building themselves and their circles up, a lot of folks who don't know and love a lot of Black people somehow find them offensive. And it's really just a cultural difference of style -- no biggie. But a lot of white peeps sure get bent out of shape over it. I'm not one of those.

Well said!✊🏾

I agree that the way I worded that sounded like I was lumping ALL black people as being the same culturally. Obviously that is not the case, and I know that personally through the many, many people I know and love.

I am specifically talking about Dawn Staley, who is on record talking about the cuture she was raised in -- one that many of the white people who she offends can't (or, won't) understand.

I apologize for not expressing my thoughts better.

I'll just mind my own business I guess.

I agree that the way I worded that sounded like I was lumping ALL black people as being the same culturally. Obviously that is not the case, and I know that personally through the many, many people I know and love.

I am specifically talking about Dawn Staley, who is on record talking about the cuture she was raised in -- one that many of the white people who she offends can't (or, won't) understand.

Or keep speaking your truth ... It also is awesome to see maybe you didn't come across clear and you clarified. Thank you for that

Regardless of a coach's skill, there will be some players she doesn't know how to coach. In my post, I wrote that Dawn either doesn't want to coach Rivers or can't. Dawn even discussed in an interview having to change the way she coaches for Rivers. Apparently, it didn't work for whatever reasons.
That can simply mean how tough she is or isn’t on her. Some players can take it and some can’t. Just because she has to adjust doesn’t mean she wasn’t capable.

Reactions: Rooster1
There is a difference between confidence (Lady Vols coaches and players) and arrogance. Dawn dances, Dawn claims she is the first to send pieces of championship net to other Black head coaches (Pashen Thompson, a Lady Vol, did it first by sending a piece of the Lady Vols' championship net to Carolyn Peck), Dawn puts up an attendance banner, Dawn puts up a statue, Dawn is the first REAL D1 Black head coach ( :) ). She really tries too hard.
I think people try harder to find ways to dislike her

Reactions: Poultrygeist

You make a decent point--but it's also true that a lot of things that some try to explain away as "cultural differences" are just dumb and/or classless.

You make a decent point--but it's also true that a lot of things that some try to explain away as "cultural differences" are just dumb and/or classless.
Not if it’s cultural though that goes to not understanding it. The things I’ve seen or heard from Dawn is perfectly okay with me. There’s a sense among the sports world that everyone is okay with the black athletes as long as they’re not boisterous and have opinions. “Just shut up and dribble.” The same thing seems to go for Dawn now a days. If Tennessee is winning Championships right now most of y’all wouldn’t be paying any attention to Dawn. I’m proud of Dawn and wanting to bring her people in to experience with her.

I honestly believe what you said was just fine. You hit the nail on the head about a lot of it. At the end of the day it does come down to a race and cultural thing when it comes to liking her.

Just maybe the whole why I don’t or do like Dawn can get it’s own thread or just be left unspoken. This is a transfer portal thread and I for one would love to get back on this topic. We should really be more focused on our progression instead of Dawn and her Gamecocks. 🤷🏾‍♂️

I honestly believe what you said was just fine. You hit the nail on the head about a lot of it. At the end of the day it does come down to a race and cultural thing when it comes to liking her.

I do believe some of it can be a misunderstanding of culture. But some of it is just rivalry. Some of it is because a poster on here knows her and her family from philly and just isn't feeling her. I think it can be a lot of things but she is winning that's for sure and she is helping continue to pave the way.

Last edited:
Just maybe the whole why I don’t or do like Dawn can get it’s own thread or just be left unspoken. This is a transfer portal thread and I for one would love to get back on this topic. We should really be more focused on our progression instead of Dawn and her Gamecocks. 🤷🏾‍♂️
Here, here. Well said.

Reactions: mcannon1

Good point ! To get us back on topic speaking of our progression Kellie was able to get the gem of the portal and a prized PG out of the portal. The fun part she isn't even done yet!

It does not. You can not paint everyone who is not a fan of her demeanor as being biased. That is a lazy and insulting argument.

Thank you for the clarification, but the only one’s upset with your original comment was because they didn’t like your premise to begin with.

It does not. You can not paint everyone who is not a fan of her demeanor as being biased. That is a lazy and insulting argument.
I actually meant to add most but because that’s what it is in my opinion. Most of the arguments made about not liking her is simply that at the end of the day. And I have always been told that if it doesn’t apply, let it fly. So if it doesn’t then there’s no need to be insulted.

VN Store

Back