Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Note: I wasn’t sure where to put this off topic story but I thought you guys would appreciate hearing it.

My son and I are currently walking the Appalachian Trail. We were recently walking in the Tennessee portion of the trail in The Smoky Mountains. While walking down a steep grade I tripped and landed in a rocky ravine. I cut up my chin, my thumb, my shins, my elbows, and my pride. I was a mess, I looked like I’d been in a motorcycle crash. My son turned back and started laughing. I asked him what was so funny about me being obliterated? He said, “ I’m not sure if you know it, but the hill that you just crashed and burned on is Old Rocky Top.” I thought you guys would appreciate the fact that this diehard UConn Husky just had his butt kicked by “Good Old Rocky Top Tennessee!”
What a good story and a good sport to share! Hope you are now on the mend!

If you place an @ when referencing another poster, that poster will be notified of the mention.

I have to admit I know nothing of Chegg involved with cheating. I do know that Paige isn't a spokesperson for Chegg itself but for a food bank that they are organizing. She is trying to do something good for children with food insecurity. Perhaps its a Proverbs 32 relationship "the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous "

"Chegg and the Women’s College Basketball Star Will Partner to Raise Awareness for Student Hunger Starting in Her Hometown of Minneapolis, Minnesota "
I posted one of many articles about Chegg being an academic cheat company. Paige’s name is associated with Chegg, and if she doesn’t know Chegg’s business is to help students cheat, she needs to know. If she does know, well….

Boston seems like a good kid but I have very mixed feelings about Dawn. She does something really good for WBB and then immediately has a little butt showing. Like recently I read an article where she said something along the lines others are calling SC the Mecca of WBB. Really??? She just does a little too much self promotion for my taste. Pat was always so modest I guess that is what I look for in a real leader.
Perfectly said.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Rivers is one they r saying might transfer. Dawn keeps referring to the possibility of transfers this off season.

Wouldn't be surprised if she left or if she stayed...

Same. She never found her offense this season. I could see her breaking out as a sophomore, just needs to relax on the court and I think she'll thrive. She should have plenty of opportunity for playing time this year if she can provide consistent offense.

Same. She never found her offense this season. I could see her breaking out as a sophomore, just needs to relax on the court and I think she'll thrive. She should have plenty of opportunity for playing time this year if she can provide consistent offense.
That's what I'm thinking. Is she blaming the coaching staff for not playing her more when she was absolutely dismal shooting the ball? That's not the coaches, that's her. If she fixes that and combined with her court awareness and defense, she could be taking a lot of Brea and Zia's minutes next season. Leaving won't do her any good if she doesn't get over what ever her shooting woes are.

That's what I'm thinking. Is she blaming the coaching staff for not playing her more when she was absolutely dismal shooting the ball? That's not the coaches, that's her. If she fixes that and combined with her court awareness and defense, she could be taking a lot of Brea and Zia's minutes next season. Leaving won't do her any good if she doesn't get over what ever her shooting woes are.

That what i have said she came in as the #3 player in the class but was unable to prove her self. There is no way she can blame the coaching staff. My take if she decides to move on SC to me is still in good shape.

Note: I wasn’t sure where to put this off topic story but I thought you guys would appreciate hearing it.

My son and I are currently walking the Appalachian Trail. We were recently walking in the Tennessee portion of the trail in The Smoky Mountains. While walking down a steep grade I tripped and landed in a rocky ravine. I cut up my chin, my thumb, my shins, my elbows, and my pride. I was a mess, I looked like I’d been in a motorcycle crash. My son turned back and started laughing. I asked him what was so funny about me being obliterated? He said, “ I’m not sure if you know it, but the hill that you just crashed and burned on is Old Rocky Top.” I thought you guys would appreciate the fact that this diehard UConn Husky just had his butt kicked by “Good Old Rocky Top Tennessee!”

Sorry you had an accident. Hope you had a quick and complete recovery.

Boston seems like a good kid but I have very mixed feelings about Dawn. She does something really good for WBB and then immediately has a little butt showing. Like recently I read an article where she said something along the lines others are calling SC the Mecca of WBB. Really??? She just does a little too much self promotion for my taste. Pat was always so modest I guess that is what I look for in a real leader.

It’s what you look for in leaders you look up to. Dawn promotes her team and everything that touches it. The reporters, the band, the men’s team, etc. it may not be your flavor but her resume from highschool to today suggests she’s indeed a real leader. There are different leadership types and she’s building hers.

One thing I think we miss here is appreciating the success she’s having. I like Dawn and her players because all coaches talk this way but she has swag and backs it up. Mulkey talks this way about LSU, Geno re: UConn and why players go there even Kellie does… can’t be mad at the woman who does it and backs it up with winning. Though the fanbase can be insufferable.

Last edited:
Well, Dawn expresses herself in a way that can credibly be described as racially-prejudiced.

About 15 minutes ago, I read an article about the importance of Staley as a "Black" coach (comparing her impact to that of John Thompson). The article talked about how "Black" athletes wanted to play for her (a "Black" coach) and how this was a good thing.

Staley said, "Our sport is filled with so many Black bodies; they need to be coached by other Black bodies."

I wonder if she applies that same logic to "White" players needing to be coached by "other White bodies."

Last edited:
It’s what you look for in leaders you look up to. Dawn promotes her team and everything that touches it. The reporters, the band, the men’s team, etc. it may not be your flavor but her resume from highschool to today suggests she’s indeed a real leader. There are different leadership types and she’s building hers.

One thing I think we miss here is appreciating the success she’s having. I like Dawn and her players because all coaches talk this was but she has swag and backs it up. Mulkey talks this was about LSU, Geno re: UConn and why players go there even Kellie does… can’t be mad at the woman who does it and backs it up with winning. Though the fanbase can be insufferable.
Well she is certainly a promoter. Ask yourself this, would any real leader give themselves a banner not for winning anything but because of how people voted? Would a real leader blame a loss on the brand of ball used?

One thing I think we miss here is appreciating the success she’s having. I like Dawn and her players because all coaches talk this was but she has swag and backs it up. Mulkey talks this was about LSU, Geno re: UConn and why players go there even Kellie does… can’t be mad at the woman who does it and backs it up with winning. Though the fanbase can be insufferable.
You know, sure, Dawn does these things. But Pat Summitt did them first. I can't list all of the ways she supported the University of Tennessee academics and athletics. She dressed up in a Vol cheerleading outfit and sang "Rocky Top" at a men Vols' basketball game on national television. She held private meetings with men's team players to help motivate them and even helped them with their shot. She cheered the pep band, the TBA staff, reporters, etc. She had a MUCH harder row to hoe than Dawn due to the fact that Title IX was brand new and Black players were not readily accepted on many teams. She was an advocate for all women players, not just those from TN, or white, or Black. She was a groundbreaker. Dawn is not a groundbreaker. She is a good coach with two national championships. Too many times I've seen Dawn's complicity in some of ther SC fans' trashing of the Lady Vols and Pat. And sometimes, Dawn thinks too much of herself and tries a little too hard.

Well, Dawn expresses herself in a way that can credibly be described as racially-prejudiced.

About 15 minutes ago, I read an article about the importance of Staley as a "Black" coach (comparing her impact to that of John Thompson). The article talked about how "Black" athletes wanted to play for her (a "Black" coach) and how this was a good thing.

Staley said, "Our sport is filled with so many Black bodies; they need to be coached by other Black bodies."

I wonder if she applies that same logic to "White" players needing to be coached by "other White bodies."
I get where she is coming from. However, she will end up splitting and alienating teams, coaches, and fans. I don't remember Pat ever using skin color as a criterion for selecting players and coaches. BTW, I'm biracial.

Well she is certainly a promoter. Ask yourself this, would any real leader give themselves a banner not for winning anything but because of how people voted? Would a real leader blame a loss on the brand of ball used?

I’m not going to judge the banner because it was a covid year… if she wants to celebrate her teams success this way I think she should. Did she post her team celebration videos after every win? Which is more self-aggrandizing? Depends on eye of the beholder. The ball…🤷🏿‍♂️ Excuses get made.

Reactions: shiverz

She never said SC loss because of the brand of the ball. She mentioned the ball because Henny had 8 and Zia had 4 turnovers in that game. I thought she was just providing cover for her players when she mentioned it. They were complaining that you had to dribble hard to get the ball to respond. Henny and Zia looked like they were moving and the ball was getting left behind on occasions . I was like, "what is wrong with them". Actually there is an article about how different the other balls are to the "Wilson" basketball. This year she borrowed the Benedict college "Nike balls" to practice with for some reason. Why? I don't know. Seem like you would just go buy your own. If I was the reporter I would have asked her that.

SC is 3-0 with an average margin of victory of 16 with the Wilson ball. Loss 1 game in overtime with the Nike ball playing UConn in the "Boston" era.

Last edited:
I get where she is coming from. However, she will end up splitting and alienating teams, coaches, and fans. I don't remember Pat ever using skin color as a criterion for selecting players and coaches. BTW, I'm biracial.

She didn’t have to… Pat was white and how many black head coaches were there? Pat’s dad told her to do what? And she went out and got who? You can be biracial all day and still have issues with recognizing why what Dawn’s doing is important. I do agree it’s important to see representation where you are and to play where you are accepted and embraced not just tolerated for skillset. White coaches can do this including Kellie and I think she does it well but then you have Pingeton who apparently has different ways that she treats her white stars vs her black stars… and a lot of time the tougher treatment is due to thinking black bodies can take more physically and emotionally.

I’m not going to judge the banner because it was a covid year… if she wants to celebrate her teams success this way I think she should. Did she post her team celebration videos after every win? Which is more self-aggrandizing? Depends on eye of the beholder. The ball…🤷🏿‍♂️ Excuses get made.
I guess you're referring to the Lady Vols' locker room vids? They posted those for the fans. They weren't taking themselves seriously. Dawn and her team take themselves VERY seriously.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
She didn’t have to… Pat was white and how many black head coaches were there? Pat’s dad told her to do what? And she went out and got who? You can be biracial all day and still have issues with recognizing why what Dawn’s doing is important. I do agree it’s important to see representation where you are and to play where you are accepted and embraced not just tolerated for skillset. White coaches can do this including Kellie and I think she does it well but then you have Pingeton who apparently has different ways that she treats her white stars vs her black stars… and a lot of time the tougher treatment is due to thinking black bodies can take more physically and emotionally.
Sure it is. Do we see head coaches coming out as lesbian, gay, or transgendered? If I'm gay, does my coach have to be gay? No. If I'm black, does my coach need to be black? No. The skin color, sexual orientation, gender ,etc. of a coach does not mean the coach connects with a player or knows what's best for a player.

VN Store

Back