Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Ya'll roll in the green eyed monster all you want. That was a classic with two great teams and two great coaches.

As an unusally gracious Geno just said, a showcase for the sport.

That said, it's too bad it couldn't have been on a neutral court. I give NC State and especially Wes Moore all the credit in the world.
One of the best games. involving 2 great teams, so far in the tournament. I loved watching it!

Hey, I'm the one who has been saying CT will win it all (if B is back) for months, and there are obviously reasons I'd say that. I may be misremembering, but I think you may have been one of those who kept saying no way. Lol
You are misremembering. I actually haven't said, but if I did I would never bet against UConn. I think either they or Stanford will win it.

I can't really see So Car hanging at the level of play and offensive execution we saw tonight.

Had Uconn not been fortunate enough to avoid those games back in January, they would have had a few more Ls, a three or four seed, and never had the reward of forcing NC State (or whoever else earned a 1 seed) to have to play them in an away game. Funny how that works. Funny how they were able to skip those games and keep their record safe. Funny, funny, funny.
TBH, one of the #1's was going to get screwed because the UConn that played in January is not the same as the one playing now. They would have otherwise been a #1 seed. It would have been a bit unfair to Stanford or SC if they were in their bracket.

It was the #2 seeds that could have kept UConn out of Bridgeport that failed to get the job done.

You are misremembering. I actually haven't said, but if I did I would never bet against UConn. I think either they or Stanford will win it.

I can't really see So Car hanging at the level of play and offensive execution we saw tonight.

Obviously it would be foolish to bet against a team that hasn't missed a FF since 2007 with a regional in their backyard.

WTBS, the obvious reason they struggled so much -- and the reason people were thinking their FF streak might end -- was due to injuries, particularly to Bueckers. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out once they got her back they were likely getting to a FF.

Reactions: olddog and Amb3096
Ya'll roll in the green eyed monster all you want. That was a classic with two great teams and two great coaches.

Well, you pretend CONN didn't get crucial no-calls that could have changed the course of the game if that brings you joy.

"Green-eyed monster." :rolleyes: I'd be embarrassed to call GA my coach if his teams had won every game in the history of the sport.

NC State could have won despite the officiating if they had hit layups in the first half along with one more three and if Cunane hadn't played a little soft in the paint. The first half made the difference. You have to be able to play hard on the opponents' home court.

If Tara wins another title, I doubt you'll hear many complaints. Loathing is a lot different than envy.

That said, it's too bad it couldn't have been on a neutral court. I give NC State and especially Wes Moore all the credit in the world.

Was he more or less gracious than when he took time out of a post-game press conference to make insinuations about Tennessee's coaching staff and athletic department, and said Tennessee should shut down their program? Gracious -- sure, whatever.

Last edited:

If both teams make it that far SC won’t allow them to have that level of offensive execution. The game plan remains the same as it did in November. You have to be physical with Bueckers and Fudd and you have to force her left. I really would like to see NC State’s defensive scout because no one is dumb enough to get into a back and fourth offensive game with Connecticut. That’s their style. SC will be physical defensively and crush them on the boards. Nelson-Ododa and Edwards cannot guard Boston and both should’ve been fouled out this game before the first overtime.

That wasn't offensive execution from UConn. That was just some superb individual play from Bueckers.

Stanford and SC's defense/rebounding/post play will give them the advantage against UConn. Bueckers will need to play even more out of her mind than she did tonight for UConn to win.

If both teams make it that far SC won’t allow them to have that level of offensive execution. The game plan remains the same as it did in November. You have to be physical with Bueckers and Fudd and you have to force her left. I really would like to see NC State’s defensive scout because no one is dumb enough to get into a back and fourth offensive game with Connecticut. That’s their style. SC will be physical defensively and crush them on the boards. Nelson-Ododa and Edwards cannot guard Boston and both should’ve been fouled out this game before the first overtime.

Stanford and SC will hammer UConn on the glass just to much size.

For all the talk of parity (not "parody"), South Carolina, UCONN, and Stanford are returning to the Final Four.
That's what everyone was predicting at the start of the season. Those three teams when healthy were a level above the field and have lived up to their billing in the tournament.

Louisville is the team that surprised me the most this season.

TBH, one of the #1's was going to get screwed because the UConn that played in January is not the same as the one playing now. They would have otherwise been a #1 seed. It would have been a bit unfair to Stanford or SC if they were in their bracket.

It was the #2 seeds that could have kept UConn out of Bridgeport that failed to get the job done.

How is it any less unfair to NC State? It's unfair no matter which team it was. It's not the fault of the #2 seeds. They're not responsible for making the tournament "fair." They didn't fail, any more than they're responsible for UConn skipping their road game with South Carolina.

The committee was responsible for making it fair. And apparently, sending NC State to Bridgeport to play a road game at UConn, is their idea of fair. They failed. No one else bears the responsibility but them.

Had Uconn not been fortunate enough to avoid those games back in January, they would have had a few more Ls, a three or four seed, and never had the reward of forcing NC State (or whoever else earned a 1 seed) to have to play them in an away game. Funny how that works. Funny how they were able to skip those games and keep their record safe. Funny, funny, funny.
They avoided a USC game because Staley requested it.

Reactions: olddog
How is it any less unfair to NC State? It's unfair no matter which team it was. It's not the fault of the #2 seeds. They're not responsible for making the tournament "fair." They didn't fail, any more than they're responsible for UConn skipping their road game with South Carolina.

The committee was responsible for making it fair. And apparently, sending NC State to Bridgeport to play a road game at UConn, is their idea of fair. They failed. No one else bears the responsibility but them.
SC was the one that cancelled the game, not UConn.

UConn moved up the S curve because LSU, Michigan, and Iowa State lost games to teams ranked below them. They were #6 overall, so that puts them vs. NCST. If those teams I mentioned hadn't lost (or only lost to other teams on the top 8), then UConn couldn't have moved up into Bridgeport.

Reactions: olddog and Rooster1

VN Store

Back