Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Pure speculation:

Joni taking the job in College Station?

Taylor? I’d love to see that lol. Would mean two SEC teams would be worse IMO. Don’t think she can coach a lick to be honest. Great person/personality and strong recruiter. Not a good basketball coach.

UGA would hire cheap and struggle for a few seasons. A&M would take a massive step back from Blair to Taylor. Dude was a mastermind.

I think Coach Yo is likely the top pick for the A&M job from what I’ve heard. I think they should look at Cami Ethridge at Washington St. as well. She has taken them up from the bottom and that’s not an easy school to recruit to. She can really coach and would be able to recruit much better at A&M. She’s originally from Kansas I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I Think we are about to see Joni head west to College Station which baffles me . Might even mean you see Janiah Barker open up her recruitment..

Latson committed to Florida State is the one I hope reopens her recruiting. We need a dynamic guard like her. I’m betting FSU elevates Wycoff to HC since she had a trial run last season and did well though. With the continuity I’ll bet she sticks with FSU.

Barker choosing UGA still confusing to me. Just think it’ll be a waste. If Joni does end up at A&M I wouldn’t be shocked to see her follow if she really likes Joni. Watch for her to regress over her career though. Nobody can take a talented forward backward like Taylor can.

Last edited:
I looked at that tweet and wondered why Georgia was firing Joni already! Wondered what the heck A&M had to do w it. Guess I was glass half emptying her.

She took Blair's COY award last year, might as well take his team.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I sure hope Florida State isn't pestering Joy while she needs to be focusing on the Lady Vols right now. Even though I'm sure she'll be a great head coach, my selfish side is hoping she wants to stay in Knoxville for at least a couple more years.

Kellie needs to get her a big fat raise. I think FSU will elevate Wycoff to head coach but could be wrong. She did a pretty decent job as their interim last season

I sure hope Florida State isn't pestering Joy while she needs to be focusing on the Lady Vols right now. Even though I'm sure she'll be a great head coach, my selfish side is hoping she wants to stay in Knoxville for at least a couple more years.

I would think if Joy wanted to be there she still would be. It would almost make sense for Fl St to hire the coach that held them down while the coach took a sabbatical.

I wonder, as I watch the tournament, every team misses its layups. Sure, aggressive defense has something to do with that. But, I think the ball the NCAA is using is "juiced". Note: very good form is being used by the player, but the ball just bounces around and off the rim. I see the guards bringing the ball up the court with very little effort, and the ball is bouncing up to their waist. JMHO....
LOL, but could there be something to that? Do they test the air pressure of the ball before the games like they do in the NFL? If they don't, I'm sure Tom Brady would be on board with that.

The refs were a mixed back. the Lady ref has high grades. One ref was a floater and clearly outmatched and the other ref was PAC-12 which is known for being soft. The calls were consistent if if the only got 1 in 10.
This is the problem, for all teams and all games. Refs travel in crews so they are all consistent with each other when calling the game. Teams always have to adjust to how the game is being call, but if the three aren't calling the game the same way, this is when the game gets out of hand and players end up on the bench. Even if they are not regularly working together, they should be from the same conference. A conference not affiliated with the teams involved obviously.

LOL, but could there be something to that? Do they test the air pressure of the ball before the games like they do in the NFL? If they don't, I'm sure Tom Brady would be on board with that.
don't check the air pressure but the ref is supposed to hold the ball about 6 feet high and drop it to see that it bounces between 32 and 36 inches.

I say this all the time. If UCONN were in the SEC or the PAC-12 they would be just another team as far as their record goes. They would have had 10+ losses this season if they played in a league that’s tough from top to bottom. There are 3 maybe 4 teams that can compete in that league. Drops off sharply after that.

In the SEC the level of talent from top to bottom makes it tough. Don’t show up for 10 minutes any given game and it’s an L.

Here are the conference records after the 1st weekend

1. B1G - 9-2 .818 (4 teams left - Michigan, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio St)
2. Big East - 5-2 .714 (2 teams left - UCONN, Creighton)
3. ACC - 8-4 .667 (4 teams left - NC State, Louisville, ND, UNC)
4. Big 12 - 8-4 .667 (2 teams left - Texas, Iowa St)
5. SEC - 6-6 .500 (2 teams left - S. Carolina, Tennessee)
6. Pac12 - 4-5 .444 (1 team left - Stanford)
7. AAC - 1-2 .333 (0 teams left)
8. West Coast - 1-2 .333 (0 teams left)

Here are the conference records after the 1st weekend

1. B1G - 9-2 .818 (4 teams left - Michigan, Indiana, Maryland, Ohio St)
2. Big East - 5-2 .714 (2 teams left - UCONN, Creighton)
3. ACC - 8-4 .667 (4 teams left - NC State, Louisville, ND, UNC)
4. Big 12 - 8-4 .667 (2 teams left - Texas, Iowa St)
5. SEC - 6-6 .500 (2 teams left - S. Carolina, Tennessee)
6. Pac12 - 4-5 .444 (1 team left - Stanford)
7. AAC - 1-2 .333 (0 teams left)
8. West Coast - 1-2 .333 (0 teams left)

Yes, congrats to the two good teams in the Big East. Tournament play has little to do with how competitive a conference has been all season. There is a reason that many SEC teams got in. Same with the PAC-12. In those two seasons the conference slate is long and arduous.

In the Big East you have a total freebie every other night playing a team like Butler or some of the other 4-5 bottom dwellers.

Last edited:
Dalayah Daniels (6-3 SO wing/forward, Seattle, WA) has announced that she's entering her name into the portal, out of Cal WBB; 7.9 PPG and 4.9 RPG in 2021-22; 2020 McDonald's All-American, ranked in the top 15 in the 2020 recruiting class

She has some skills

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I notice Vandy is playing in the NIT but Alexander is not with the team. They have played well in their first two games.

Don’t think it reflects well on their team chemistry that she wouldn’t even finish the post season with them. I maintain that situation will not workout long term. 3-5 years. I don’t think Shea will be able to keep players around or recruit at a high enough level to compete night in and night out in the SEC.

I notice Vandy is playing in the NIT but Alexander is not with the team. They have played well in their first two games.

Don’t think it reflects well on their team chemistry that she wouldn’t even finish the post season with them. I maintain that situation will not workout long term. 3-5 years. I don’t think Shea will be able to keep players around or recruit at a high enough level to compete night in and night out in the SEC.
I believe she entered the portal right after the season ended, not thinking they would be playing in the post season. As for Shea, why would you say that? How about giving her a couple of years before you send her out to pasture. And by the way, there are posters here who said the same about Kellie. They were wrong then, and wrong now.

I believe she entered the portal right after the season ended, not thinking they would be playing in the post season. As for Shea, why would you say that? How about giving her a couple of years before you send her out to pasture. And by the way, there are posters here who said the same about Kellie. They were wrong then, and wrong now.

I call them as I see them. Head coaching is a tough business. You’ve either got it or you don’t.

I supported Kellie as soon as she was hired. She wasn’t my first pick at the time but I’m so happy with the decision.

EDIT: also, I really dislike UConn/Geno and anything associated with them.

VN Store

Back