Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

while you are speculating, speculate what the score would have been if the UConn point guard and primary defender was able to play. Injuries are a part of the game. At least Baylor got 30 minutes of play from their point guard. UConn got 0.
It's difficult for me to imagine how anyone could argue that these two injuries are remotely equivalent--in terms of timing (UCONN had ample time--indeed games--to get over whatever hurdles were involved due to Muhl's injury vs. having to make an immediate adjustment during a game against a very formidable foe), matchups (Edwards would have taken many/most? of Mulhl's minutes in any case given the challenges posed by Baylor's front line), and the overall importance of each player to her respective team. Kim can certainly be criticized for not developing a suitable backup, but to believe that Richards's injury didn't play a major role in the UCONN comeback from 10 points down, and so their eventual victory, is imo a bridge too far.

It's difficult for me to imagine how anyone could argue that these two injuries are remotely equivalent--in terms of timing (UCONN had ample time--indeed games--to get over whatever hurdles were involved due to Muhl's injury vs. having to make an immediate adjustment during a game against a very formidable foe), matchups (Edwards would have taken many/most? of Mulhl's minutes in any case given the challenges posed by Baylor's front line), and the overall importance of each player to her respective team. Kim can certainly be criticized for not developing a suitable backup, but to believe that Richards's injury didn't play a major role in the UCONN comeback from 10 points down, and so their eventual victory, is imo a bridge too far.
True. I am not saying Didi's injury wasn't the reason for the UConn surge. It was. The comment is just a simple counter point to the argument that Baylor had to play the last 10 minutes without their point guard. If Nika plays she will start and guard Didi. Nika is our best edge defender and IMO would have altered the impact Didi would have had on the game. If both teams would have been healthy for 40 minutes, it is conceivable that the UConn lead would have been greater. I think we all saw UConn run out of gas in the last 3 minutes. If Nika would have been available and Aaliyah coming off the bench the rotation would have been longer and E and Christyn would have gotten some rest. It's all together reasonable to assume Baylor would have scored less because of the improved defense and UConn would have scored more because of the rotational rests provided by the full roster. We will never know what were the implications of the two injuries. But to predict the outcome of one injury without the other is faulty reasoning.

Who's Morgan Wootten?
Morgan Bayard Wootten was an American high school basketball coach for 46 seasons at DeMatha Catholic High School in Hyattsville, Maryland. He led the Stags to five national championships and 33 Washington Catholic Athletic Conference titles.

The award is given to a high school girls basketball player who demonstrates outstanding character, exhibits leadership and embodies the values of being a student-athlete through schoolwork and community affairs.

Previous winners of the Wootten Award include Candace Parker, Maya Moore, Elena Della Donne and Breanna Stewart. UConn star Paige Beuckers won the award in 2020.

Thanks for posting that. I had immediately Googled him after asking. Am I correct in assuming that he coached boys' teams exclusively?

He left an incredible legacy, but are there coaches of girls' teams who might be a better choice for honoring h.s. girls?

Dorothy Gaters (Ilinois) and Bertha Teague (Oklahoma) both had over 1100 wins, and Leta Andrews (Texas) had over 1400. Gaters won 10 state championships (Teague 7), and all three are members of the Women's Basketball HOF.

Ironically, Andrews won the Morgan Wootten Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008.

Last edited:
South Carolina and UConn’s reload next year really going CRAZY.
@PassThaBallLive
Ex7XhspWYAAZOeS

It will be interesting watching how the refs call the first quarter of the Stanford vs S. Car. game. If they let them play physical under the basket, then it definitely favors S. Car.. If the refs are quick with the whistle, that would be a big advantage to Stanford. 2 very different types of team makeup and the type of refs calling the game will have a big impact IMO. It seems like the games have been pretty physical so far.

Number one and foremost, the refs allowed both UCONN and Baylor to play a physical game. There were a number of fouls on both sides which were not called. I believe that if The refs allow physical play in the final four that will favor UCON.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
SC leading Stanford 15-6 midway through the first. They really are playing fantastic right now. Haley Jones is the only Cardinal who has solved the SC defense.
I say that, then SC goes scoreless the rest of the half and Stanford ties with a 9-0 run.

Stanford's depth and balance is starting to show. Beal, Saxton and Amihere need to show up for SC to have a chance.

VN Store

Back