Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

speaking of sitting one thing I noticed is that Kellie never sits during a game even if its a blowout win.
That's what a coach should be doing. She's always engaged, no matter what the score. I don't think I've ever seen Kim or Vic sitting as passively as Nikki does. I can't imagine how disheartening it must be to the MSST players to look over to the sideline and see her snoozing in her chair. She must be laughing all the way to the bank :rolleyes:

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Of course her seat is warm. She sits on it continuously during games. Half the time, I think she's asleep.

It does suck for MSST. After Tennessee, they were my favorite SEC team, and I like how hard they played and how they were able to really embrace the underdog status. If things to the way I think they will, Nikki will really have them as underdogs next season :eek:
I`m not sure firing her right now is the correct move she has a pretty good 2021 class coming in.

I`m not sure firing her right now is the correct move she has a pretty good 2021 class coming in.

Not really. Godfrey is already there, and she hasn't been getting off the bench. I don't think Moore or Shavers are upgrades from what they have on the roster. And she has zero post depth. Morris is gone for sure, Cooks hasn't been 100% physically, and Carter looks unhappy. If all 3 of them leave, who is playing inside? Plus, I don't think there's a player in the country that would look at that dumpster fire of a program and say, "Hey, I think I'm gonna go play for that narcoleptic coach asleep in her chair!".

Not really. Godfrey is already there, and she hasn't been getting off the bench. I don't think Moore or Shavers are upgrades from what they have on the roster. And she has zero post depth. Morris is gone for sure, Cooks hasn't been 100% physically, and Carter looks unhappy. If all 3 of them leave, who is playing inside? Plus, I don't think there's a player in the country that would look at that dumpster fire of a program and say, "Hey, I think I'm gonna go play for that narcoleptic coach asleep in her chair!".

I don`t disagree with you on the post players, But i do think Godfrey will start next year she will be ready, None of there guards can shoot and that`s been a big problem for the team.

She must be laughing all the way to the bank :rolleyes:
Gosh Amb, that's brutal. Why you so mad at LVFL Nikki? You think she's purposely tanking or doesn't even care if she is? We never even thought that about Holly (most of us). It's sad to be publicly exposed as a Peter Principle victim. I doubt she's gleefully failing anymore than the players willfully decide not to play well or the refs knowingly cheat on the Vols at all times.

I remember a video from the first of the season where her players were jubilant to have MSUs first female of color coach and gave her a really sweet welcome. Stinks that things have gone to far downhill so quickly for all of them.

I don`t disagree with you on the post players, But i do think Godfrey will start next year she will be ready, None of there guards can shoot and that`s been a big problem for the team.
Myah Taylor and Aliyah Matharu can both shoot. I'd say the one thing that Nikki has done well this year is to give Myah the green light to be more of a scoring threat. She attempted more 3-pt shots vs. Arkansas in one game than she attempted in her entire season last year. Myah doesn't have a mid-range game, but Aliyah does. I think Godfrey will have a hard time passing either on the depth chart.

I think the issue right now is that on offense, there is a lot of standing around, poor spacing, confusion where they should be on the floor, and because of that...it's rare that Taylor/Matharu have good clear looks. They literally look just like Holly's teams where they play hot potato and then throw up a desperation shot or turn the ball over. I think back to Vic's teams where he was exceptionally good at drawing up offensive plays to get the shooters open (ex. Victoria's senior year). If there was an offense playbook (or if one exists, then the players actually knew the plays), then I think their shooting percentages would be even better.

Gosh Amb, that's brutal. Why you so mad at LVFL Nikki? You think she's purposely tanking or doesn't even care if she is? We never even thought that about Holly (most of us). It's sad to be publicly exposed as a Peter Principle victim. I doubt she's gleefully failing anymore than the players willfully decide not to play well or the refs knowingly cheat on the Vols at all times.

I remember a video from the first of the season where her players were jubilant to have MSUs first female of color coach and gave her a really sweet welcome. Stinks that things have gone to far downhill so quickly for all of them.

During the Holly era, I would watch MSST play and marvel at Vic's ability to get the most out of his team...whether they were future WNBA players or those that knew their basketball careers ended with college. I mentioned on a previous post that they were the only SEC team I liked besides Tennessee. It just sucks to see Nikki completely tear that all apart in the matter of a few months; even Holly needed several years before she deep-sixed Tennessee.

While Holly and Nikki are both perfect examples of "The Peter Principle" in play, the difference is that Holly would flail her arms in despair and mope about while her team was imploding on the court. You could see she cared; she just wasn't talented enough to do anything about it. I can't tell if Nikki cares because she just SITS there. When your team is shooting 12% in yet another 1st quarter, you best be standing and roaming the sideline while barking out instructions...not shouting while cupping your mouth from the comfort of your chair. That's what spectators do. During this current losing streak, her butt should not be touching that chair at all, but she spends 90%+ of the game there.

I'm sure the players were to a degree happy to see a black woman as their HC, but I bet they care more about winning...and that will be confirmed if there is a program exodus like many of us are expecting. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them give Vic/Johnnie a call after this season.

Myah Taylor and Aliyah Matharu can both shoot. I'd say the one thing that Nikki has done well this year is to give Myah the green light to be more of a scoring threat. She attempted more 3-pt shots vs. Arkansas in one game than she attempted in her entire season last year. Myah doesn't have a mid-range game, but Aliyah does. I think Godfrey will have a hard time passing either on the depth chart.

I think the issue right now is that on offense, there is a lot of standing around, poor spacing, confusion where they should be on the floor, and because of that...it's rare that Taylor/Matharu have good clear looks. They literally look just like Holly's teams where they play hot potato and then throw up a desperation shot or turn the ball over. I think back to Vic's teams where he was exceptionally good at drawing up offensive plays to get the shooters open (ex. Victoria's senior year). If there was an offense playbook (or if one exists, then the players actually knew the plays), then I think their shooting percentages would be even better.

During the Holly era, I would watch MSST play and marvel at Vic's ability to get the most out of his team...whether they were future WNBA players or those that knew their basketball careers ended with college. I mentioned on a previous post that they were the only SEC team I liked besides Tennessee. It just sucks to see Nikki completely tear that all apart in the matter of a few months; even Holly needed several years before she deep-sixed Tennessee.

While Holly and Nikki are both perfect examples of "The Peter Principle" in play, the difference is that Holly would flail her arms in despair and mope about while her team was imploding on the court. You could see she cared; she just wasn't talented enough to do anything about it. I can't tell if Nikki cares because she just SITS there. When your team is shooting 12% in yet another 1st quarter, you best be standing and roaming the sideline while barking out instructions...not shouting while cupping your mouth from the comfort of your chair. That's what spectators do. During this current losing streak, her butt should not be touching that chair at all, but she spends 90%+ of the game there.

I'm sure the players were to a degree happy to see a black woman as their HC, but I bet they care more about winning...and that will be confirmed if there is a program exodus like many of us are expecting. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of them give Vic/Johnnie a call after this season.

I think you give her a chance to bring in her players and i`m sure she will be very active in the transfer portal. By the way Amb3096 will be watching class of 22 6-3 Ashlyn Watkins on tuesday in SC,

Last edited:

She inherited an intact Top 10 program and immediately headed straight toward the bottom of the SEC with them. If I’m in that incoming class I’m feeling a little nervous right now. Still won’t be shocked if we see one or two recommit (if they still can?) elsewhere over the summer Shavers in particular I could see staying in Texas and playing for Vic.

She did lose AEH and Bibby to transfer. Two players that would have helped them offensively. Hemingway left for WV but wasn’t an impact player before. All of the players that returned look worse than last year. The team as a whole looks unorganized and uninspired defensively. Especially to start games.

They went from 2nd to 8th in the league in one season. That’s a drastic underperformance with all those Top players.

I think you give her a chance to bring in her players and i`m sure she will be very active in the transfer portal.
Maybe, but I don't see players that she recruits being better than the top 10 talent she has on the team now...unless she starts getting the elite HS players.

I'm sure she will hit the portal hard, but I also don't think she's given good players much incentive to play for her with her team's current slide.

I suppose that's what MSST gets for buying the cheap knockoff instead of shelling out for the real deal.

IdealisticMaleBactrian-max-1mb.gif

Maybe, but I don't see players that she recruits being better than the top 10 talent she has on the team now...unless she starts getting the elite HS players.

I'm sure she will hit the portal hard, but I also don't think she's given good players much incentive to play for her with her team's current slide.

I agree with you must be able to get the the elite HS players. I think part of the problem is who do you run the offense thru Jackson or Carter ?

She inherited an intact Top 10 program and immediately headed straight toward the bottom of the SEC with them. If I’m in that incoming class I’m feeling a little nervous right now. Still won’t be shocked if we see one or two recommit (if they still can?) elsewhere over the summer Shavers in particular I could see staying in Texas and playing for Vic.

She did lose AEH and Bibby to transfer. Two players that would have helped them offensively. Hemingway left for WV but wasn’t an impact player before. All of the players that returned look worse than last year. The team as a whole looks unorganized and uninspired defensively. Especially to start games.

They went from 2nd to 8th in the league in one season. That’s a drastic underperformance with all those Top players.

Hey @VolBall09 - Remember how in the first week of the season we were both saying how good MSST was and how Nikki had them playing like a well-oiled machine? Boy, were we wrong on THAT one!

I agree with you must be able to get the the elite HS players. I think part of the problem is who do you run the offense thru Jackson or Carter ?

It would help if they had an offense to begin with, besides playing street ball. How many times in this losing streak have we seen players cut to the basket on a backdoor play while not looking at where the ball is? How many turnovers were there for passes that the recipient wasn't even looking at?

But to answer your question...start with Carter if she has the matchup advantage...which would be in most games. Have Jackson cut to the basket and pay attention to where Aliyah, Myah and Madison are for the kick out three. Problem is that Carter is playing like she already checked out.

It would help if they had an offense to begin with, besides playing street ball. How many times in this losing streak have we seen players cut to the basket on a backdoor play while not looking at where the ball is? How many turnovers were there for passes that the recipient wasn't even looking at?

But to answer your question...start with Carter if she has the matchup advantage...which would be in most games. Have Jackson cut to the basket and pay attention to where Aliyah, Myah and Madison are for the kick out three. Problem is that Carter is playing like she already checked out.

Yes Carter is out, But if Jackson want`s out then she really will have a problem

I get that Miss State is a disaster, Nikki's over her head and things may get worse by transfers. But for the life of me I can't be mad at her over it nor think for a minute she doesn't care. I feel sorry for her.
Well, lookie here!!!! Rutgers enters the Top 25 at No. 25. WHOOO HOOOOO!!!!
Excellent! Go Scarlet Knights.

I get that Miss State is a disaster, Nikki's over her head and things may get worse by transfers. But for the life of me I can't be mad at her over it nor think for a minute she doesn't care. I feel sorry for her.

Nikki is one of my all time favorite players so I was really pulling for her. I'm surprised not only that she has failed, but failed spectacularly. Her resume looked pretty solid coming into the job. It looks like, barring a miracle, MSU won't even qualify for the tournament.

Just another weak branch on Pat's unremarkable coaching tree...

VN Store

Back