Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

That's the thing...they really don't have anyone to replace Zaay, and they don't have another serviceable guard...unless you call Burrell a guard. Horston and Massengill can share PG duties, but if one of them goes to the bench, who do you slot in at the other guard spot? Unless you go giant and put Rennia there...which probably isn't the best use of her talents.

Having said that, their post depth will still cause tons of problems for other teams. I don't see them beating MSST or SC, who both have excellent guard and post depth. But they have a real opportunity to wear down TAMU's inside game and stomp all over the smaller UK and Arkansas teams. They could easily finish third this season IMO.

I agree I don't see TN beating MSST or SC at this point with Zaay out it will be a uphill battle. I do think moving Burrell to the sg slot is a good move against a team like SC. I also would like to see 6-5 ? Emily Saunders get more playing time trust me Kellie will need some size to beat SC or State. My wild card player is 6-3 Jaiden Mccoy once she is healthy i think she will be a big factor.

EJrxFZmXsAADmFd.jpg

TE'A COOPER
BIG 12 Player of the Week

"The Big 12 announced Baylor's Te'a Cooper as Big 12 Player of the Week Monday after her performance against Houston Baptist Thursday. The graduate transfer from South Carolina scored all 23 of her points in the first half vs. Houston Baptist Thursday while adding a career high 10 assists, and she matched a career high with four steals.

Cooper became the first Lady Bear to have 20 points and 10 assists in a game since Alexis Jones had 24 and 10, respectively, vs. No. 20 Oklahoma Jan. 29, 2017. Cooper was 8-11 from the floor and didn't commit a turnover to help Baylor to 3-0 in its 112-42 win over the Huskies."

- Baylor WBB website, 18 Nov 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: NoBackBoard
View attachment 239360

TE'A COOPER
BIG 12 Player of the Week

"The Big 12 announced Baylor's Te'a Cooper as Big 12 Player of the Week Monday after her performance against Houston Baptist Thursday. The graduate transfer from South Carolina scored all 23 of her points in the first half vs. Houston Baptist Thursday while adding a career high 10 assists, and she matched a career high with four steals.

Cooper became the first Lady Bear to have 20 points and 10 assists in a game since Alexis Jones had 24 and 10, respectively, vs. No. 20 Oklahoma Jan. 29, 2017. Cooper was 8-11 from the floor and didn't commit a turnover to help Baylor to 3-0 in its 112-42 win over the Huskies."

- Baylor WBB website, 18 Nov 2019
Has there ever been a kid who played for three teams all of which have natties?

Finally some respect! After 3 solid road wins and a highly contested game against #7 Oregon State, Missouri State comes in at #22 in the Coaches Poll

Should have been ranked in all polls. Voters still engage in anti-mid-major bias.

Apparently, Mo St hung tough for three quarters before running out of gas in what was their third straight road game over several regions. Couldn't defend OSU's late threes, and that made the difference in a close game. Home or neutral site could have made a huge difference.

Finally some respect! After 3 solid road wins and a highly contested game against #7 Oregon State, Missouri State comes in at #22 in the Coaches Poll

Currently, Oregon State is #1 in both RPI and SOS.

Missouri State is #4 RPI and #8 SOS.

By way of comparison, Tennessee RPI is 143 and SOS is 282.

Currently, Oregon State is #1 in both RPI and SOS.

Missouri State is #4 RPI and #8 SOS.

By way of comparison, Tennessee RPI is 143 and SOS is 282.

Which tells me Kellie likes to schedule good teams... a lot of those games were set into place a year or so in advance. Hopefully we can look to an uptick in scheduling

Reactions: creekdipper
Which tells me Kellie likes to schedule good teams... a lot of those games were set into place a year or so in advance. Hopefully we can look to an uptick in scheduling

In fairness, several of those games against good teams were the result of Mo St advancing through the WNIT. Of course, Kellie should get a lot of credit for recruiting players capable of winning those games and for creating a winning culture that those same players bought into (and which Coach Mox has continued). And for last year's success that got Mo St invited to the WNIT.

I agree that Kellie will likely try to improve our noncon schedule.

Last edited:
Volleyball:

#1 Texas @ #3 Baylor on ESPN+

6k fans expected but I doubt it will come close to that number.

Last edited:
In fairness, several of those games against good teams were the result of Mo St advancing through the WNIT. Of course, Kellie should get a lot of credit for recruiting players capable of winning those games and for creating a winning culture that those same players bought into (and which Coach Mox has continued). And for last year's success that got Mo St invited to the WNIT.

I agree that Kellie will likely try to improve our noncon schedule.

Very true ... she did have Minnesota, Missouri, and Gonzaga on the schedule though. I agree their strength of schedule is helped by the WNIT most def. I also believe Kellie will have the SOS back consistently in the top 5-10 soon.

Reactions: creekdipper
BU Bear, last year I really liked Moon Ursin coming off the bench. Is she still a spark off that bench for Baylor? Kinda reminds me of Rae Burrell of the Lady Vols.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I guess she did not have the academics to get into Miss. State , UConn , ? Maybe coach Hunt has some input ? But she has been pretty silent about recruits from HH ! Understanding....
Round University Rankings have UT at 65, UConn at 66, SCarolina at 82, Syracuse at 83 and MissState at 125, United States only.

#3 Baylor had #1 Texas down 2 sets to 0 but Texas has fought back to tie it up... pretty good game

Baylor comes back and takes the 5th set they hadn’t beaten Texas volleyball since 2001.

Really good game. Something to note in the crucial 5th set Texas had to sit two all Americans one with a heating pad on her back and the other with ice on her knee.

I hate to see the Texas ladies hurt but Baylor did what they were supposed to do at home.

VN Store

Back