Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

just saying since we aren’t “setting the world on fire”.... I had to set the record straight.

look S.C. was really good but what record did you exactly set straight. your comment was an assumption not a proven fact. the person said they had one championship which they do. they could win the next 3-4 which is a possibility but the only fact was the 1 championship.

i think what you meant to put was you wanted to defend your team. which is totally ok! i like dawn and wish her success!

it’s all good and i appreciate you bringing the S.C. news to volnation...

is there a board for SC sports yet? this is not a dig i am just curious seriously.

Last edited:
And the connies haven't been to the podium since 2016

Both are in the NC convo annually. The point is those programs like ND when they had the all world guard and Baylor with Greiner are regularly in the NC discussion. Solid coaching is needed but talent is the key. I’ve not heard any coach that thinks otherwise. Does anyone think Dawn is a top three coach excluding recruiting? And are there not many really good coaches that don’t compete for championships because they cannot recruit the talent to get there?

My concern is that T Key does not feel the need to transfer next season to play with little sister....It may come down to how well she plays at Tennessee, and is she happy with the staff and her role here....

Not worried about this in the least GT and I'll tell you why:
If it had been "all about playing with each other" little sis would be here now.

Both are in the NC convo annually. The point is those programs like ND when they had the all world guard and Baylor with Greiner are regularly in the NC discussion. Solid coaching is needed but talent is the key. I’ve not heard any coach that thinks otherwise. Does anyone think Dawn is a top three coach excluding recruiting? And are there not many really good coaches that don’t compete for championships because they cannot recruit the talent to get there?

until I see what Coach K can do with the players she brings in v the talent she came into,,,it will be a blind discussion of the "sum of the parts, v, the whole"
If she can build a natty-team out of the parts she brought/brings in, then your hypothesis is proven moot.

I believe I can make a good team out of any team I coach and a great team out of any team of elite players I coach.

I also believe the opposite can be true.
Case in point, our last coach.
She had great players to work with and they looked like a mid-level team under her

Reactions: mcannon1
1*RLmUhHGpHwKrZMrezWF2bw.jpeg

look S.C. was really good but what record did you exactly set straight. your comment was an assumption not a proven fact. the person said they had one championship which they do. they could win the next 3-4 which is a possibility but the only fact was the 1 championship.

i think what you meant to put was you wanted to defend your team. which is totally ok! i like dawn and wish her success!

it’s all good and i appreciate you bringing the S.C. news to volnation...

is there a board for SC sports yet? this is not a dig i am just curious seriously.

Let’s be real here on a national scale there’s only 3-4 teams who have a realistic shot at a national championship these next five years or maybe longer and SC happens to be one of those teams. Regardless of the fact we’ve only won one championship, that poster basically tried to undermine SC’s success to this point like the fact that no team in the SEC could beat them last year or keep them from winning their 5th tournament championship in the last 6 years. Not to mention they were #1 most of last year and will likely be in the same position. I felt it as a slight because Connecticut hasn’t won since 2016.... I’m not trying to come off as bragging or boastful these are just the facts. You can’t try to dismiss one of the best teams in the country....

And to answer your last question, yes SC has message boards that I partake in but I will continue to free post here and anywhere else I feel the need to post on. These are public open forums so everyone is allowed to post as they choose. This is the non-Lady Vol thread so I see no issue anyway.

2021 will be a tough year in the post without a transfer coming in to add some size.

It was just 2019-20 where Tennessee had only Rennie as a player under 6’ and had 7 players 6’2 and taller.

In 2020-21, it’s basically the same with Walker added as under 6’ and 7 players 6’2” and taller.

In 2021-22 this changes. The Lady Vols add 5’10” Wynn and 5’6” Miles. They also lose some height in 6’4” KK, 6’3” McCoy and 6’2” Davis. They add 6’2” Puckett and Stiplen.

It will be a different style team, maybe one that fits Coach Harper’s style styled play with more shooter.

Let’s be real here on a national scale there’s only 3-4 teams who have a realistic shot at a national championship these next five years or maybe longer and SC happens to be one of those teams. Regardless of the fact we’ve only won one championship, that poster basically tried to undermine SC’s success to this point like the fact that no team in the SEC could beat them last year or keep them from winning their 5th tournament championship in the last 6 years. Not to mention they were #1 most of last year and will likely be in the same position. I felt it as a slight because Connecticut hasn’t won since 2016.... I’m not trying to come off as bragging or boastful these are just the facts. You can’t try to dismiss one of the best teams in the country....

And to answer your last question, yes SC has message boards that I partake in but I will continue to free post here and anywhere else I feel the need to post on. These are public open forums so everyone is allowed to post as they choose. This is the non-Lady Vol thread so I see no issue anyway.

ok... are you always on high alert?!? i seriously said i’m not taking digs at you or your program so there was no need to throw attitude my way.

but if you want an issue i can give you one! i have always respected your posts and even defended your players when people called them thugs and hooligans. so again is there an issue here because you seem to be making one ?!?

AND AGAIN DONT PUT ME IN THE CATEGORY OF TRYING TO DISMISS ANYTHING THAT S.C. has accomplished !! so when you say YOU make sure the YOU is pointed at the right person!

like i said at the beginning cool bro...👍🏽✊🏾

Last edited:

Thanks for letting us be on the same court as you guys for the next 5 years...
giphy-downsized.gif

ok... are you always on high alert?!? i seriously said i’m not taking digs at you or your program so there was no need to throw attitude my way.

but if you want an issue i can give you one! i have always respected your posts and even defended your players when people called them thugs and hooligans. so again is there an issue here because you seem to be making one ?!?

AND AGAIN DONT PUT ME IN THE CATEGORY OF TRYING TO DISMISS ANYTHING THAT S.C. has accomplished !! so when you say YOU make sure the YOU is pointed at the right person!
tenor.gif

Reactions: GameTime

oh and what’s the name of the boards?

i think there are some posters on from others schools (end even LV fans) that would love to partake and talk basketball in the S.C. board...

when you see this let us know because there would be some interest in posters...

@Bballnut1952 you seem like you like to discuss basketball and this would be something of interest.

Last edited:

like i said at the beginning cool bro...👍🏽✊🏾

Did you even read what I said? I never said you were the one who dismissed them I was talking about the OP. You’ve always been complimentary of me being here so why would I have an issue with you? Also I didn’t throw attitude your way just stating facts... there no beef here my guy just letting the truth be known is all.

Did you even read what I said? I never said you were the one who dismissed them I was talking about the OP. You’ve always been complimentary of me being here so why would I have an issue with you? Also I didn’t throw attitude your way just stating facts... there no beef here my guy just letting the truth be known is all.

Per your post ... I’m not trying to come off as bragging or boastful these are just the facts. You can’t try to dismiss one of the best teams in the country....

just a misread on my part then because that “you” you were speaking of was referring to the poster or someone else.

while your stating facts state those board names😂

i’m cool over here my friend ... no issue

until I see what Coach K can do with the players she brings in v the talent she came into,,,it will be a blind discussion of the "sum of the parts, v, the whole"
If she can build a natty-team out of the parts she brought/brings in, then your hypothesis is proven moot.

I believe I can make a good team out of any team I coach and a great team out of any team of elite players I coach.

I also believe the opposite can be true.
Case in point, our last coach.
She had great players to work with and they looked like a mid-level team under her

I agree with the short paragraph where you say “ I believe ....”. It does take elite players to have a great team.

My point was beyond hypothesis though. An elite recruit or two is almost always required to be a great team. I’d focus on ability to land a top five player or two versus Kelly being so superior in development and x/os to predict her success. For one, she had that chance at NCST and the expectation she would do so here is unfair even if she is in the top quartile of coaches.

2021 will be a tough year in the post without a transfer coming in to add some size.

It was just 2019-20 where Tennessee had only Rennie as a player under 6’ and had 7 players 6’2 and taller.

In 2020-21, it’s basically the same with Walker added as under 6’ and 7 players 6’2” and taller.

In 2021-22 this changes. The Lady Vols add 5’10” Wynn and 5’6” Miles. They also lose some height in 6’4” KK, 6’3” McCoy and 6’2” Davis. They add 6’2” Puckett and Stiplen.

It will be a different style team, maybe one that fits Coach Harper’s style styled play with more shooter.

Ehhh, height is overrated. As long as you have some height in the frontcourt, having short-ish guards isn't a big deal. None of the best teams last year (SC, Oregon, Baylor, UConn) had a backcourt starter who was 6'0 ft+. If anything, I think having a team full of tall players in the backcourt (I think Wynn is actually listed at 6'0 everywhere but HG)can be a disadvantage if they can't defend smaller players and have trouble dribbling the ball up the court against pressure...both of which have been big problems for Tennessee for years. The height of the backcourt isn't something that concerns me. IMO, the more important thing is shoring up the post. If Saunders doesn't improve massively over the next season, they will need a Plan B because Key can't play 30+ min/game and I'm not convinced that Striplen is an SEC 5 (would probably be best suited playing at the 4).

Reactions: lfvol and 1reVOLver
My concern is that T Key does not feel the need to transfer next season to play with little sister....It may come down to how well she plays at Tennessee, and is she happy with the staff and her role here..

Stay tuned....
251518_20190611_WB_Headshot_AF_001.jpg

Omg u ppl worry too much and always starting something..Little sister will not come to play with big sis, but is big sis the one to think about going there.

Ehhh, height is overrated. As long as you have some height in the frontcourt, having short-ish guards isn't a big deal. None of the best teams last year (SC, Oregon, Baylor, UConn) had a backcourt starter who was 6'0 ft+. If anything, I think having a team full of tall players in the backcourt (I think Wynn is actually listed at 6'0 everywhere but HG)can be a disadvantage if they can't defend smaller players and have trouble dribbling the ball up the court against pressure...both of which have been big problems for Tennessee for years. The height of the backcourt isn't something that concerns me. IMO, the more important thing is shoring up the post. If Saunders doesn't improve massively over the next season, they will need a Plan B because Key can't play 30+ min/game and I'm not convinced that Striplen is an SEC 5 (would probably be best suited playing at the 4).

Only true for Oregon, whose biggest guard was Ionescu at 5’11”.

SC started Brea Beal and Baylor started Didi Richards, who both come in at 6’1”.

For UConn, Makurat is listed at 6’1” or 6’2”. When Irwin was starting over Makurat, that moved Walker, at 6’1” to the backcourt.

Only true for Oregon, whose biggest guard was Ionescu at 5’11”.

For UConn, Makurat is listed at 6’1” or 6’2”. When Irwin was starting over Makurat, that moved Walker, at 6’1” to the backcourt.

For Baylor, DiDi Richards is 6’1”.
Oregon started Minyon Moore (5'6 or 5'7) and Ionescu (5'11) at the guard spots. UConn started 5'6 Dangerfield and 5'11 Williams. Baylor started 5'8 Cooper and 5'10 Landrum. SC started 5'10 Harris and 5'9 Cooke.

Reactions: volnationnj
Oregon started Minyon Moore (5'6 or 5'7) and Ionescu (5'11) at the guard spots. UConn started 5'6 Dangerfield and 5'11 Williams. Baylor started 5'8 Cooper and 5'10 Landrum. SC started 5'10 Harris and 5'9 Cooke.

I guess I was defining backcourt as the 1, 2, and 3 positions.

VN Store

Back