Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

The madness has started, anything is possible in the first two rounds of both men’s and women’s play.

Thanks to Furman and Princeton March Madness has indeed started. I would say big early round upsets are far more prevalent in men’s tournament due to parity, than in the women’s tournament. Teams seeded Nos. 14-16 are a combined 1-336 in tournament history. The single loss was, I believe, Harvard beating Stanford and that had some extenuating circumstances. The men on the other hand are 33-411, (Prior to this year) not great but still considerably better. Thirteen seeds are 31-113 men, 10-112 women. On the women’s side, 90-160, or 56% of all number one seeds make the final four, with men 60 out of 148, or 41%. The number of times that all four number one seeds have made the final four has happened four times with the women, and only one single time with the men. Obviously, most everybody understands the parity in men’s is much greater.

BTW: If you did not see the end of the Furman game, watch the last 11 seconds. Keep in mind, Virginia still had a time out left.

Pretty good game between Marquette and USF so far.

Marquette came out intense with the defense but already look a little tired. USF was really tight to start but settling down some. I think that will be a close finish.

Switching over the WV and Arizona now. I actually give the edge to WV in this one based on toughness and coaching. Interested to see how it plays out!

Excited to watch UGA and Florida State. That’s always a matchup with a little spice due to relative proximity and rivalry.

Really bummed we won’t get to see Latson in the tourney. She was one of my favorite players to watch this season. Single handedly brought FSU back into the conversation after it looked like they were headed south.

If Latson were to opt to transfer I should hope our staff does everything in their power to bring her to Knoxville.

A player like that to go with Jackson, Key and the shooting touch of Darby 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Pretty good game between Marquette and USF so far.

Marquette came out intense with the defense but already look a little tired. USF was really tight to start but settling down some. I think that will be a close finish.

Switching over the WV and Arizona now. I actually give the edge to WV in this one based on toughness and coaching. Interested to see how it plays out!
It is close. Marquette had 2 turnovers, USF went up by 4. USF now up by 2, and Marquette went after USF, needed to foul, but the ref called a jump ball, and Marquette got the ball and tied the game. Now, overtime. I picked USF in my brackets. 🤪

what's going on with men's team. They beat top teams and struggles with weak teams.

A little coaching genius from Rick Barnes, waiting until Louisiana Lafayette had scored 13 consecutive points before calling a timeout. Gotta keep it interesting...

Georgia looking tough in the first half. They were a little tight to start the game but got their defense going finally.

Really impressed with FSU players and how they have responded after losing Latson and Gordon. Lots of young women stepping up for them so far. UGA defense is starting to get under their skin though. They are getting their hands on almost every pass.

I have IU, OSU and Maryland in the Elite Eight.

I have Iowa losing to Duke in the Sweet 16. I think defense beats offense in that one IF they meet.

Duke is painfully bad on offense. They do have the size to defend Czinano in the post and could throw a box and one on Clark but they have too many empty possessions on offense. The Blue Devil posts, especially, are surprisingly unproductive.

If Georgia gets past Florida State, the Lady Bulldogs have the size and defense to play the Hawkeyes close as well.

I know that Stanford has had issues finding reliable scoring but, should they play Iowa, I expect the Cardinal to effectively stiffle both Clark and Czinano while taking advantage of Iowa's porous defense to get to the Final Four.

Navy was 1-29 this year and Gia Pissott averaged 20 minutes 3 ppg and before being asked shot 25% from 3-pt.

Georgia should have won since FSU was down not one, but two of its best players.

Agreed. Credit Georgia for beating the opponent they were dealt, but winning against an FSU team without their superstar isn't really all that impressive IMO.

Meanwhile Massengill was the only Seminole to go scoreless in the game, I guess third team wasn't the charm...

MSST playing really well. Just taking the easy shot and knocking them down. Getting a lot of looks before Creighton can get their defense set.

On the other end Creighton is really struggling with MSST defensive physicality. Just not used to that much size and quickness.

Right now State is just to athletic for Creighton to handle.

Creighton trying to make a push before the half. Looks like the Lady Vols several times this season. Should have gone into this half with a 20 point lead instead it’s suddenly under 10.

A couple three balls is almost always the equalizer.

Yup. I wonder if the law of averages kicks in for State. They’re already well over their season average in made 3pt shots.

Anyone else find Monica McNutt insufferable? For several seasons I just feel like she’s not a good sportscaster. She never knows her stuff. She always writes down some stat to bring up that is totally wrong.

Earlier she said Creighton only had 2 assists when they had 6. They only had 2 threes which is the key to their game and why they were behind.

She’s the loudest but rambles and never really says anything. Shouldn’t hate, but I fail to see why she still has a job in sports broadcasting. Just not her calling.

Now Draya….I could listen to Draya all day.

Last edited:
And again, just butchered poor Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu’s name. Granted it’s a mouthful, but just call her Dulcy or get it right.

There is a perfect recording of her pronouncing it on their roster. It’s pronounced just as it’s spelled really.

I sure hope Mississippi State can hold on and get the win, but I'm pretty nervous for them right now because Creighton's about to start raining threes. If they get going it won't ake any time to reduce that deficit.

I know there are some folks who dislike the Hayes sisters, but I have no ill feelings toward them. Whatever issues they had are probably because of parental influence. They are native Tennesseans, and so I root for them. 🥹

VN Store

Back