Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Arkansas getting drilled by TAMU 69-54 with 7:46 left in 4Q so that makes me feel better.

No Daniels is a major issue for them though. Losing your veteran starting PG is a little different.

Having her at least half the game against us got them in a rhythm. Last night they never got in a good offensive rhythm and shot the ball terrible.

Also don’t think it’s a coincidence both team from the Ark/Ten game Monday lost. That was a really long, physical game with a ridiculous amount of possessions. Both teams looked emotionally and physically fatigued to some extent.

Glad to see A&M get the W though, Gary needed one.

SC struggled against Florida. If not for the gators scoring drought in the first quarter it would have been down to the wire. Hope we don't play them in the tourney.

Florida is the hottest team in the conference at the moment aside from SC. Not just saying that because we lost, they have had the pedal to the metal for 6 weeks now and are getting better and more confident. Really nice coaching job and great buy in from the players who could have given up on their season in the fall.

At this point it’s becoming hard to tell if the SEC is having an up or down seasons. All of the teams are just beating the crap out of each other. Can literally lose to any team on any night if you don’t show up.

It’s fun to watch, but makes it nerve wracking for the team you cheer for.

SC struggled against Florida. If not for the gators scoring drought in the first quarter it would have been down to the wire. Hope we don't play them in the tourney.
That is not true. The vast majority of their points were "trash" points at the end of the game. This.."The starters were still in" is also untrue....go back and watch the 4th quarter again and tell me I am wrong....geez.....

They were up by almost 30 towards the middle of third quarter. Sure, they got really sloppy afterwards and FL halved their deficit, but they put that game away in the first 10 min. The final margin was the closest that FL got it since the 1st quarter.

They were up by almost 30 towards the middle of third quarter. Sure, they got really sloppy afterwards and FL halved their deficit, but they put that game away in the first 10 min. The final margin was the closest that FL got it since the 1st quarter.

Florida won the 3rd and 4th quarters but the deficient was too great to overcome. Dawn was not happy with the way the Lady G's played and even acknowledged that Florida was getting good shots in the first half but they just weren't dropping.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Florida won the 3rd and 4th quarters but the deficient was too great to overcome. Dawn was not happy with the way the Lady G's played and even acknowledged that Florida was getting good shots in the first half but they just weren't dropping.

Dawn sat Boston down with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and SC was up by I think 26 points. Florida cut the lead down to 16 during that 4-minute stretch Boston was sitting. Boston only had 1 foul for the game, so it seems to me she was experimenting with a big lead. She then put Boston in to start the 4th quarter with 3 bench players. Until the last 41 seconds of the game the margin was still 16 points. SC did not play the starting five the last 14 minutes of the game. Dawn was not happy because of the 21 turnovers. Sitting Boston for half the 3rd quarter was the only reason why Florida won the 3rd quarter.

At this point it’s becoming hard to tell if the SEC is having an up or down seasons. All of the teams are just beating the crap out of each other. Can literally lose to any team on any night if you don’t show up.

It’s fun to watch, but makes it nerve wracking for the team you cheer for.
I think it's what we thought would happen at the beginning of the season, where it was South Carolina and The Rest. Sure, Missouri caught SC by surprise, but I don't think they will have any more surprises. The rest of the teams outside of Auburn/Vandy are just pretty evenly matched, plus injuries/transfers have leveled out the playing field somewhat.

Looks like Butler canceled their game tonight with Connecticut - not due to covid as far as I can tell, but due to inclement weather. CT's next game on their calendar now is Tennessee....

Reactions: chuckiepoo
SC struggled against Florida.

eye-roll-ugh.gif

Looks like Butler canceled their game tonight with Connecticut - not due to covid as far as I can tell, but due to inclement weather. CT's next game on their calendar now is Tennessee....

Not only that, but anyone with a ticket to the Butler game will be allowed free entry to the Tennessee game on Sunday.

So, keeping track - they went from having a full schedule to suddenly having free days to prepare specifically for Tennessee, and have used the cancellation to incentivize increased attendance on Sunday. They certainly are a very, very lucky bunch up there.

Smart move by Stanford Tara by moving Belibi into the starting line up UCLA had no answer for her last night.

Watched the game and they had no answer for Stanford inside at all.

Wasn’t really a Tara coaching decision though. The change was forced because Hailey Jones did not play last night. Otherwise Fran would have come off the bench as usual.

Watched the game and they had no answer for Stanford inside at all.

Wasn’t really a Tara coaching decision though. The change was forced because Hailey Jones did not play last night. Otherwise Fran would have come off the bench as usual.

Yes Hailey was i out you are correct could not keep my eyes open to watch the game. Good call

Those PAC-12 games are hard to catch if you’re on the East coast. I’m in Mountain and some are too late for even me.

VolBall09: I notice Charlie Creme has MO State as one of the last four byes in, sounds like the MVC will only get the conference champion in the field this year.

VolBall09: I notice Charlie Creme has MO State as one of the last four byes in, sounds like the MVC will only get the conference champion in the field this year.

I think so, I think MO State is headed south. They just haven’t had it this year. She has a bunch of 6th year players and seniors but their offense has regressed.

I’m hoping as Kellie gets more players that fit her system we will see more consistency from the Lady Vols. Taking a team from the MVC to the Sweet 16 is a big accomplishment, not easy to do.

Last edited:
The first WNBA "Super Team" for the upcoming season has been formed. Phoenix Mercury sign Tina Charles and Diamond DeShields. Tina took a hefty paycut to sign with Phoenix for a year, so it seems that she's hellbent on finally getting a title.

PG - Skylar Diggins Smith, Shay Peddy
SG - Diana Taurasi, Diamond DeShields
SF - Kia Nurse, Sophie Cunningham
PF - Tina Charles, Brianna Turner
C - Britney Griner

If Diana is still at the top of her game, I'm not sure any team in the league will be able to stay with them. Diamond could very well have back to back championships with two different teams.

Mercury reach deal with leading scorer Charles

The first WNBA "Super Team" for the upcoming season has been formed. Phoenix Mercury sign Tina Charles and Diamond DeShields. Tina took a hefty paycut to sign with Phoenix for a year, so it seems that she's hellbent on finally getting a title.

PG - Skylar Diggins Smith, Shay Peddy
SG - Diana Taurasi, Diamond DeShields
SF - Kia Nurse, Sophie Cunningham
PF - Tina Charles, Brianna Turner
C - Britney Griner

If Diana is still at the top of her game, I'm not sure any team in the league will be able to stay with them. Diamond could very well have back to back championships with two different teams.

Mercury reach deal with leading scorer Charles
It’s won’t be easy to deal with all of those egos.

VN Store

Back