Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

I like the idea of using the 16u, 17u and 18u coaches that got them there
That would be an even better idea....I am sure that Geno built his program for the long haul through this...and Dawn seems to be doing the same. Is it wrong...I don't know...Dawn didn't pick herself to do it so maybe coaches don't want to take on the extra work. It's time from your team activities...recruiting....your players...your program and your family...that's a lot to put on someones plate. I think you have to be a somewhat "sacrificial lamb" to take on that endeavor. Dawn played in the WNBA and coached Temple at the same time....she is used to it.

Reactions: JustaChicken
I would like the teams to be coach by someone that had no interest in influencing players seems whomever is coach in the last few years has also looked like a recruiting genius.

Yeah I’ve been done with the college coach thing since Geno snubbed Candace. I find it implausible that somehow half the Olympic team all come from the same school as the coach. Should at least be a much more transparent process for who makes the team. They claim the coach has little influence but that clearly is not true.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
That would be an even better idea....I am sure that Geno built his program for the long haul through this...and Dawn seems to be doing the same. Is it wrong...I don't know...Dawn didn't pick herself to do it so maybe coaches don't want to take on the extra work. It's time from your team activities...recruiting....your players...your program and your family...that's a lot to put on someones plate. I think you have to be a somewhat "sacrificial lamb" to take on that endeavor. Dawn played in the WNBA and coached Temple at the same time....she is used to it.

Dawn has it so ruff....All that young talent looking to her as their coach...How does Dawn survive....As Geno heads for retirement within a few years, Dawn has placed herself in position to continue the pipeline to her program...

Angry.thumb.gif.b529636d892df77df45502b43ca9ee9a.gif

Yeah I’ve been done with the college coach thing since Geno snubbed Candace. I find it implausible that somehow half the Olympic team all come from the same school as the coach. Should at least be a much more transparent process for who makes the team. They claim the coach has little influence but that clearly is not true.
Candace 100% should have been on the team, but the UConn girls who were there...Taurasi, Bird, Charles, Stewart and Moore...it would be difficult to say any of them were not deserving. I would have put Candace above Charles and Stewart, but those two are really good players.

I think it's less an issue of a UConn coach penalizing Tennessee players, and more that it was a coach who is petty. I don't mind college coaches heading the team, tbh. Hopefully they aren't a d!ck.

Dawn has it so ruff....All that young talent looking to her as their coach...How does Dawn survive....As Geno heads for retirement within a few years, Dawn has placed herself in position to continue the pipeline to her program...

Angry.thumb.gif.b529636d892df77df45502b43ca9ee9a.gif

I think Dawn running a winning program has more to do with her recruiting success than her coaching the Olympic team. She's had one top rated class, and of those players, probably only 1 of them (Boston) is a future Olympian...and I don't think anyone saw that potential coming into this season. Frankly, Holly has recruited better than Dawn, and that's with a proven inability to coach at this level.

Candace 100% should have been on the team, but the UConn girls who were there...Taurasi, Bird, Charles, Stewart and Moore...it would be difficult to say any of them were not deserving. I would have put Candace above Charles and Stewart, but those two are really good players. I think it's less an issue of a UConn coach penalizing Tennessee players, and more that it was a coach who is petty. I don't mind college coaches heading the team, tbh. Hopefully they aren't a d!ck.

Agreed. I have no doubt those women deserved to be on the team as well.

Candace 100% should have been on the team, but the UConn girls who were there...Taurasi, Bird, Charles, Stewart and Moore...it would be difficult to say any of them were not deserving. I would have put Candace above Charles and Stewart, but those two are really good players.

I think it's less an issue of a UConn coach penalizing Tennessee players, and more that it was a coach who is petty. I don't mind college coaches heading the team, tbh. Hopefully they aren't a d!ck.
Who won the championship that year and who was the MVP of the championship series and who was left off of the Olympic team ?

Who won the championship that year and who was the MVP of the championship series and who was left off of the Olympic team ?
Like I said...Geno's petty. I thought Candace easily deserved a spot on that team, but I'm not gonna pretend that the UConn girls weren't good too. It's not like he was sticking scrubs like Dolson on there.

The alleged reasons that Candace was left off the team was because that she didn't want to play center, wanted to dominate the ball too much, the team played better when she wasn't on the court, and she took plays off.

The alleged reasons that Candace was left off the team was because that she didn't want to play center, wanted to dominate the ball too much, the team played better when she wasn't on the court, and she took plays off.
:rolleyes: Not buying it. She was the best PF option, and has always been an excellent passer from the post.

Reactions: Rickster
Chickens should speak the truth. Dawn will have a huge and unfair advantage in recruiting just like the little man has/had.

200.gif
I

It must go into neutral hands.

And perhaps, just like Pat Summitt had. She was the Olympic Head Coach too. But unlike most all the other national championship-winning head coaches - the Summitts, the Auriemmas, the Van Derveers, the Mulkeys, Dawn Staley has another unfair advantage that they don't/didn't have, and she's totally proud of that: Staley was a major face and force of WBB as a PLAYER - won professional championships and national gold medals as a player. So Staley already had cache with prep prospects as a player. She could tell them things about being developed to have an excellent career at the professional level, that even Summitt couldn't tell them, because Pat side-stepped that avenue (or it wasn't available to her). The first nationally accomplished player at South Carolina for Staley - multiple SEC player of the year and All-American Tiffany Mitchell, had almost a shrine to Staley as a PLAYER in her bedroom growing up as a young basketball player, with pictures and basketball jerseys pinned to the wall. Parker could never have done that for Summitt, Stewart never for Auriemma, Griner never for Mulkey.

Staley hasn't won multiple national titles like Summitt, McGraw, Auriemma, Mulkey, and Van Derveer. She hasn't yet had multiple #1 ranked teams and hasn't yet had an undefeated season. All those coaches had those and in some cases, had several of those. And due to their success they all had unfair recruiting advantages over other WCBB head coaches, even over Staley in those degrees as coaches.

There is no advantage that Luigi now holds, or that he's held over the last 10-15 years, that Pat didn't have snug in her pocket for years, if not decades as well beforehand. It's the ole' "what comes around, goes around". It may be going around elsewhere right now, but that's no reason to be hypocritical about it......

Last edited:
I think Dawn running a winning program has more to do with her recruiting success than her coaching the Olympic team. She's had one top rated class, and of those players, probably only 1 of them (Boston) is a future Olympian...and I don't think anyone saw that potential coming into this season. Frankly, Holly has recruited better than Dawn, and that's with a proven inability to coach at this level.
can;t do one without the other

Reactions: Terrells Bay88
he heard it on the boneyard
The Boneyard and Rebkell to be exact. If Rebkell's forum wasn't stuck in an early to mid 2010s format, I would post the comments if it didn't take forever to find them.
Why would you allege that?
I didn't allege it myself. I thought she should've made the team and I believe there's unfair advantage to college coaches being the coach of the Olympic team.

can;t do one without the other
You can't run a successful program without coaching the Olympic team? Better tell Kim, Jeff, Vic, etc...then.

This is petty behaviour from our fanbase. When Kellie turns the program around, the top 10 recruits will follow and we can talk about beating Dawn on the court and not this petty stuff.

VN Store

Back