Non-conference schedule out

Thanks for putting your typical athletic department PR spin on it.

And you're citing a poll that was created immediately after last season ended, before the transfer wave (including Jewel Spear) really hit and projected rosters still in flux so it's pretty meaningless. I don't think anyone would argue Indiana, Ohio State, and Notre Dame are... fine. FSU was a fringe top 25 team last year with Latson, without her they were a total disaster. I'm not sure they're quite as good as you're trying to make them out to be.

Again, I would challenge anyone to come up with a season Tennessee played a less challenging non-conference schedule than this one...
2013-14 Women's Basketball Schedule - University of Tennessee Athletics

I think this one is weaker in 2013-14 only two ranked teams in the non conference and also back when SC and LSU were not that good. I could throw up a couple more of Holly's later schedules but the point is proved with this one.

I'll go ahead and add another.

2017-18 Women's Basketball Schedule - University of Tennessee Athletics

and another

2018-19 Women's Basketball Schedule - University of Tennessee Athletics

Last edited:
Better learn to love it šŸ¤£

I am disappointed that it seems Tara cancelled the series and that Uconn would not budge on the january date. kellie said the series would most likely resume in the future but with adding more SEC teams I personally think it needs to be in the front part of the schedule like any other non conference game usually is or it doesn't need to be played.

I am over Texas cancelling the series because they come to the SEC after this upcoming one. It was sour grapes on Vics end but now he can't avoid it.
If anyone had any fright it was Stanford with all the defections and graduations they are going to be down quite a bit this coming season. Utah would've been the favorite to win that league along with UCLA and Stanford more than likely coming in third of fourth. Now with the conference gone we'll see if they make it to the ACC or exactly what their schedule looks like next season.

The schedule has four quad one games and two that will be either quad one or two and that is just in the non conference. Your looking at probably 8 or half of the SEC games being quad one. So this schedule presents a possible 14 quad one matches which if you win enough of them is more than enough to make you a top ten team in the NET. Last year we played eighteen quad one games so we dropped down to 14 maybe 15 I don't see a problem.

Better learn to love it šŸ¤£

I am disappointed that it seems Tara cancelled the series and that Uconn would not budge on the january date. kellie said the series would most likely resume in the future but with adding more SEC teams I personally think it needs to be in the front part of the schedule like any other non conference game usually is or it doesn't need to be played.

I am over Texas cancelling the series because they come to the SEC after this upcoming one. It was sour grapes on Vics end but now he can't avoid it.
Still hate it! šŸ„“

The schedule has four quad one games and two that will be either quad one or two and that is just in the non conference. Your looking at probably 8 or half of the SEC games being quad one. So this schedule presents a possible 14 quad one matches which if you win enough of them is more than enough to make you a top ten team in the NET. Last year we played eighteen quad one games so we dropped down to 14 maybe 15 I don't see a problem.
nor do I
of course, we're not
Party on Darth.png

Reactions: chuckiepoo
2013-14 Women's Basketball Schedule - University of Tennessee Athletics

I think this one is weaker in 2013-14 only two ranked teams in the non conference and also back when SC and LSU were not that good. I could throw up a couple more of Holly's later schedules but the point is proved with this one.

LOL the only point you proved is that you miscounted. Notre Dame and Stanford were top 5 teams when they played Tennessee, and North Carolina was just outside the top 10. Not to mention Texas, which was not ranked that year but still a quality nonconference opponent fans looked forward to, was still on the yearly schedule back then...

All this thread proves to me is that some of the folks whining in this thread about the schedule don't actually pay attention or remember anything about the team's previous schedules or opponents. Which doesn't surprise me, I think.

Or has taken the time to actually look at the opponent and their success rather than a number by the name... But some people just love to b!*** and it shows šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
I think last year just spoiled me. I feel like the non-conference schedule should be littered with top 25 opponents with maybe 1 or 2 cupcakes. Thatā€™s just me.

Nevertheless, Iā€™ll be in Fort Myers, court side, watching them play Oklahoma and Indiana! Hope to see some of you all there!

What do you hate about it? Go look at some other team's schedules and tell me ours isn't legit.

Facts!
Iā€™m hearing teams in the ACC and down South just didnā€™t duck Tennessee but sprinted away from scheduling the LVols lol!

Tennessee has proven over the years they will play anybody anywhere. Iā€™m looking forward to this season and nextā€¦ Tennessee got some hitters in 2023 and T.Coop - Kaniya Boyd got next!!
GBOšŸŠ.

LOL the only point you proved is that you miscounted. Notre Dame and Stanford were top 5 teams when they played Tennessee, and North Carolina was just outside the top 10. Not to mention Texas, which was not ranked that year but still a quality nonconference opponent fans looked forward to, was still on the yearly schedule back then...
No it is not any better and the other two I put up are a lot worse than this years schedule one had only two top teams. Ohio State and Norte Dame and Indiana are all rated top ten teams going into next season. Florida State just out of the top ten. Yes Latson will be back. Playing Middle Tennesse on neutral and Liberty at their place could both be quad one opponents. Plus you have to factor in the SEC a lot more these days for top 20 teams back then there was very few and both SC and LSU were terrible. This time they will be number one and four in the country and we have three games with them. So you looking at six games with top ten teams. That is plenty for me and doubt you see many teams be that ambitious with their schedules we'll find out soon when they come out. Plus we would play Texas, Stanford if they wanted to play. Neither wants to play anymore guess because they lost a lot of their chance to win. I'm all for playing a schedule similar to LSU played last season it worked out well they had plenty left when the real games began.

Please look again at 2018-2019 defend that one as better.

1692486036457.png

SC and LSU were terrible. This time they will be number one and four in the country and we have three games with them.

I'm really not sure what part of "nonconference schedule" you're not understanding here, but I'm not sure I can help you...

I'm really not sure what part of "nonconference schedule" you're not understanding here, but I'm not sure I can help you...
I understand exactly your the one that said it was the worst ever which is not true. It has Indiana pre-season number five, Ohio State pre-season number 7 and Notre Dame pre-season number 10. Also top 20 Florida State that is plenty of challenges in non conference when you play in the SEC.

I understand exactly your the one that said it was the worst ever which is not true. It has Indiana pre-season number five, Ohio State pre-season number 7 and Notre Dame pre-season number 10. Also top 20 Florida State that is plenty of challenges in non conference when you play in the SEC.

I said it could very well be the least challenging nonconference schedule ever. You can argue it's not, but at the very least it's certainly in the conversation. The only previous nonconference schedules you gave that were even comparable were the last of the Holly years, when she was deliberately scheduling light to try to save her own butt...

Reactions: olddog
I said it could very well be the least challenging nonconference schedule ever. You can argue it's not, but at the very least it's certainly in the conversation. The only previous nonconference schedules you gave that were even comparable were the last of the Holly years, when she was deliberately scheduling light to try to save her own butt...
Well that is the problem you wanted someone to show you a year when we had a weaker non conference schedule said that was not possible. I found two that certainly were and one that is at least the same. What we will find out when all is said and done that the overall schedule will be one of at least the top twenty in women's basketball and could possibly be top ten. In this day and time you certainly have to take into consideration your conference opponents. This schedlue seems to do exactly that and with the conference schedule is totally balanced and certainly will be in line with almost any other school. I'm sure UConn's non-conference will be tougher, but when you add how weak the Big East looks this season they get a lot of their cupcake games in conference. What I see is a potentil 15 or more quad one games on our schedule and that is the way you design a schedule these days. You have to consider the NET system.

"I really don't think there is much debate -- this is the easiest LV non-conference schedule in the NCAA era..." is what you said and that is not true as 2018-19 is far easier and 2013 2014 is comparable or even in difficulty at best. Plus the other one is certainly a little easier as well. The least challenging schedule ever was the one LSU played last season. They won the National Championship so scheduling tough has been proven to be overrated and for the most part if you win the games no matter who you play you get that high seed like they did last season. That said I don't think scheduling three pre-season top ten teams is all that weak. I am guessing that you think it is which is fine with me. We all are certainly entitled to an opinion on an opinion board.

"I really don't think there is much debate -- this is the easiest LV non-conference schedule in the NCAA era..." is what you said and that is not true as 2018-19 is far easier and 2013 2014 is comparable or even in difficulty at best. Plus the other one is certainly a little easier as well. The least challenging schedule ever was the one LSU played last season. They won the National Championship so scheduling tough has been proven to be overrated and for the most part if you win the games no matter who you play you get that high seed like they did last season. That said I don't think scheduling three pre-season top ten teams is all that weak. I am guessing that you think it is which is fine with me. We all are certainly entitled to an opinion on an opinion board.

There are multiple ways to skin a cat IMO when it comes to scheduling. You can schedule weak or hard but success comes down to how the team is managed and what the ultimate goals are from these games.

I think scheduling to heavy and too light can be detrimental to your team but not always the case. Even by Mulkey scheduling standards, last years was an all time low for her, granted I know she says the schedule was made before they got Reese and all those transfers (LSU lost their entire roster essentially). LSU had 9 new players so while they coasted, the OOC allowed a team of a bunch of newcomers to integrate, build confidence and chemistry, as well as stay mostly healthy early on. The downside is playing so many weak teams, you don't truly evaluate where you need to improve but you limit your NCAAT resume. LSU had to have major success in SEC play to earn a quality seed but they ended up going 15-1 during the regular season.

I think playing challenging games early are good because you are more likely to see where you stand and what you need to improve on. Plus winning some of these games you strengthen your seeding for NCAAT and give your team a lot of confidence. On the flip side, the danger of over scheduling is you risk losing a lot more games and physically the games are much more taxing so you could potentially see an increase in injures (saw many examples of this last season). Harper may have over scheduled early last year and we risked potentially not earning a hosting bid but won some key games down the stretch to earn a top 4 seed. While we may have over scheduled I still think we should have won some of those early season games, if you are going to schedule tough you need to at least come out on top in some of these matchups. Losses to Ohio St, Indiana, Gonzaga, UCLA, VT, Stanford. A win or two over those group of teams changes a lot of things..

But I don't think anyone should have an issue with this years schedule. I think its a good blend of competitive games and some fluff games. Hopefully we actually come out on top of some of these OOC games especially the ranked matchups.

VN Store

Back