Non Conference Rival

oh, hell no to Va Tech. Without Frank Beamer they are mid major team barely over .500

Ga Tech - we used to play them frequently. Not that they're that good but at least their history has a some NCs. Plus its exposure in the Atl market
Clemson
North Carolina - not that they're good but it'd be a fun border war
FSU - its a stretch but it would be fun. They should be OOC rivals with Auburn
Hawaii - for no other reason that we'd have an excuse to go to Hawaii every other year
Good enough to beat us in recent years.

I think Va Tech, Ga Tech, and North Carolina are the top candidates, geographically. I'd be good with any of the three.

This is my answer too (although, when all the conference shuffling is through, I’m guessing all 3 will be in the SEC).

Georgia Tech would be my #1. A) we depend heavily on recruiting the ATL area, so playing them helps from that standpoint, B) I’m old enough to remember when they WERE an every year rival through the 80s.

North Carolina would be my #2 pick. I’m not old enough to remember when they were a frequent opponent, but UT has played turn more than 30 times, even while only playing them once in the last 50 years.

Mountaineers' vs Volunteers has a good ring to it. Not the best travel game.
Nebraska for a blue blood
Central Florida or Baylor for Recruiting
Or the Quacks up in Oregon
NC, VT or Clemson are all sensible choices too.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
oh, hell no to Va Tech. Without Frank Beamer they are mid major team barely over .500

Ga Tech - we used to play them frequently. Not that they're that good but at least their history has a some NCs. Plus its exposure in the Atl market
Clemson
Hawaii - for no other reason that we'd have an excuse to go to Hawaii every other year
Greve, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

You say "hell no" to Va Tech because they're not that good a team. But Hawaii has NEVER been a good team. Even with Colt Brennan. when they were at their very best ever. For instance, in 2007 (with Colt Brennan), the Rainbow Warriors ended the year ranked #19. Virginia Tech was ten spots better than them, at #9.

I got that Hawaii's a nice place to visit. But you can't put Hawaii on your wish list and then reject ANY other team for not being elite. lol, it just makes no sense, brother.

Go Vols!

Clemson

If we drop UGA annual game with the new scheduling proposed, then GA Tech would make the most sense so we can keep on the radar of those prized GA recruits.

North Carolina or UCLA
1985 UCLA was the 1st time I saw a game at Neyland Stadium. Dad got tickets in the Endzone about 25 rows up. When the Pride formed the T, Neyland came alive and shook like nothing I had ever felt before. The T opened up right in front of us and when the VOLS came running out, I swear I went deaf it was so loud in there. I was 10 yrs old and I've been hooked ever since.

My vote would be UCLA. VT or West Virginia would be my other choices. I would have rather had either one of those schools in the SEC than Missouri. I would be good with ND or Miami like others have said

Reactions: VOLnMiami
Greve, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

You say "hell no" to Va Tech because they're not that good a team. But Hawaii has NEVER been a good team. Even with Colt Brennan. when they were at their very best ever. For instance, in 2007 (with Colt Brennan), the Rainbow Warriors ended the year ranked #19. Virginia Tech was ten spots better than them, at #9.

I got that Hawaii's a nice place to visit. But you can't put Hawaii on your wish list and then reject ANY other team for not being elite. lol, it just makes no sense, brother.

Go Vols!

What I said was without Frank Beamer they are barely a .500 team. One coach does not make a program. It starts a program.

Hawaii football sucks even though there was a sliver of light with June Jones and Colt McCoy. That series has nothing to do with fb. It’s all about the road trip. Hawaii is beyond “a nice place to visit”. That’s what you say about Destin or Charleston. Tropical Paradise is what you say about Hawaii. BTW the 2023 Maui Jim Invitational aka Chaminade tourney is on my hot radar. I suggest you attend it then readdress your answer. The island does not disappoint.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
What I said was without Frank Beamer they are barely a .500 team. One coach does not make a program. It starts a program.

Hawaii football sucks even though there was a sliver of light with June Jones and Colt McCoy. That series has nothing to do with fb. It’s all about the road trip. Hawaii is beyond “a nice place to visit”. That’s what you say about Destin or Charleston. Tropical Paradise is what you say about Hawaii. BTW the 2023 Maui Jim Invitational aka Chaminade tourney is on my hot radar. I suggest you attend it then readdress your answer. The island does not disappoint.
Brother, I think you're assuming I haven't already lived and visited all over the world. :)

You can have the tropics. They were nice to visit (and live in) for a while. Now, I prefer the hills of Tennessee. I'll go visit the beach (usually in North Carolina, those are the best beaches), but this land, where we are, it's the nicest place on earth for me.

It was Colt Brennan. McCoy was at Texas. Your answer still doesn't make sense to me. :)

Brother, I think you're assuming I haven't already lived and visited all over the world. :)

You can have the tropics. They were nice to visit (and live in) for a while. Now, I prefer the hills of Tennessee. I'll go visit the beach (usually in North Carolina, those are the best beaches), but this land, where we are, it's the nicest place on earth for me.

It was Colt Brennan. McCoy was at Texas. Your answer still doesn't make sense to me. :)
Ty. Yeah Brennan. All the Colts run together.

To each his own. There’s plenty on this thread wanting Hawaii and it’s not because they’re a challenge. One of the best feelings as a Vol fan is waking up in Florida to 80s weather on NY Day to go see our boys play. Hawaii just takes it to the next level.

Ty. Yeah Brennan. All the Colts run together.

To each his own. There’s plenty on this thread wanting Hawaii and it’s not because they’re a challenge. One of the best feelings as a Vol fan is waking up in Florida to 80s weather on NY Day to go see our boys play. Hawaii just takes it to the next level.
I lived in Florida 2 years. Well, was stationed there, mostly deployed. Only actually lived there about 8 months. I'll take Tennessee over Florida any day.

I need seasons. You know, autumn. Winter. Spring. Things Florida and California and Honduras and Haiti and the Middle East and all those other garden spots I've lived know absolutely nothing about. Heh.

But as you say, to each his own.

Go Vols!

Virginia Tech or Georgia Tech.

The Battle at Bristol was a blast. It would be fun to do a home and home with them with the Bristol game occurring every three years. A three year rotation of Knoxville, Blacksburg, and Bristol.

The Georgia Tech game could be an interesting rivalry due to the close proximity of Atlanta and Knoxville. Georgia Tech would never play Tennessee and Georgia on an annual basis though, and I don't blame them.

If you could start a every year rival with any program in the country who would it be? Mine would be Notre Dame I always liked playing them it was always a great game to watch.
I liked the Oklahoma series, would love to get back at Purdue, or even a PAC team like UCLA

Virginia Tech or Georgia Tech.

The Battle at Bristol was a blast. It would be fun to do a home and home with them with the Bristol game occurring every three years. A three year rotation of Knoxville, Blacksburg, and Bristol.

The Georgia Tech game could be an interesting rivalry due to the close proximity of Atlanta and Knoxville. Georgia Tech would never play Tennessee and Georgia on an annual basis though, and I don't blame them.
Yes, Bristol was a ball for sure !!!
Your idea about the 3yr rotation is the most logical one I've seen when people talk of doing a game in Bristol again.
Next best idea was to make it an every 3 or 4 year event with a different opponent from the region, such as Virginia, WVU, NC, NC State, etc.

Reactions: amishvol

VN Store

Back