Non Conference Rival

If you could start a every year rival with any program in the country who would it be? Mine would be Notre Dame I always liked playing them it was always a great game to watch.
ND would be great. I would say Oklahoma but they’ll be in the conference soon. I went to the Oklahoma games in 14 and 15 and had a blast. Even though we lost

oh, hell no to Va Tech. Without Frank Beamer they are mid major team barely over .500

Ga Tech - we used to play them frequently. Not that they're that good but at least their history has a some NCs. Plus its exposure in the Atl market
Clemson
North Carolina - not that they're good but it'd be a fun border war
FSU - its a stretch but it would be fun. They should be OOC rivals with Auburn
Hawaii - for no other reason that we'd have an excuse to go to Hawaii every other year
And these teams are mid major barely over 500?

va tech is a wanna be.

again, Ga Tech has a solid history as well as NCs

NC is a next door neighbor. More next door than little sister Va Tech

FSU has a history of NCs

Hawaii. cause its f***** Hawaii. If you'd ever been there then you'd understand. They can be 0-12 forever and I'll campaign for playing them every year.

Reactions: Orange Raid
I’d like to see an annual matchup with either a close regional team or another “historic” power.

1. Nebraska
2. North Carolina
3. Virginia
4. VT
5. Notre Dame

UCLA would be a good because of the West Coast exposure. North Carolina would also be a real good one when it comes to recruiting because of how much talent the state of NC puts out. Just one for thought would be Nebraska I think that could be a good game because of the history of both teams.

I would love a Hawaii semi permanent game. You get 13 games if you go to Hawaii to play. An additional game every 2 years. At least for the time being, additional Vol football is a good thing. Now 2020-ish, I would never have said that.

Could you imagine the score if a Heup coached UT team played Hawaii? Scoreboard operator would have a stroke trying to keep up.

Reactions: MAD and Volfan1000
1. UNC
2. Michigan
3. Texas
4. Notre Dame
5. UCLA
6. USC
7. Hawaii
8. Tulane
Va Tech sucks, so no to them. Yes I know Tulane isn’t any good either but at least they have some history.

Last edited:
Reactions: MAD and Volfan1000
They fit right in. Most of our fans are scared of playing games we might lose. I disagree. We had better recruiting when we played national marquee games like UCLA, Penn State, Cal, Notre Dame, and the likes. People get tired of paying high ticket prices to watch UAB, Troy, Akron, UTM, UTC, Ohio, and Ball State. But UT’s standard operating procedure is screw the fans and take their money. They brag about the 16,000 new season ticket holders but are not telling you that at least that many season tickets were not renewed last year. How many more tickets could you sell if you scheduled P5 teams? Gosh, how I miss Doug Dickey.

I would want to play a team that doesn't already have a dedicated non-conference rival. So no GT, no Clemson, Louisville. Texas will be in the SEC in like two years so what's the point. I think VT is the most obvious candidate, UNC would be a nice one as well. UCLA was a good suggestion, I just struggle to see how a rival that's 1500 miles away is really feasible, there's just no real crossover of fanbases or anything like that. If Memphis continues to get better in football, that's not a bad idea, though they might be better suited for Ole Miss given the location of those two.

I'd pick ND but the difference is that we'd play them every year in London...

VN Store

Back