Non Conference Rival

oh, hell no to Va Tech. Without Frank Beamer they are mid major team barely over .500

Ga Tech - we used to play them frequently. Not that they're that good but at least their history has a some NCs. Plus its exposure in the Atl market
Clemson
North Carolina - not that they're good but it'd be a fun border war
FSU - its a stretch but it would be fun. They should be OOC rivals with Auburn
Hawaii - for no other reason that we'd have an excuse to go to Hawaii every other year

I almost put UCLA in too. We played them a bunch from 60s-90s. That would be a fun series to restart
I agree, That last time we played them was when the Kiffinator was the coach at UT and he ran the ball all 3 times from the goaline to win the game and they stopped us...That boy is a genius!...But yeah I have been to a few UT/UCLA games in the past and I always liked thier fans...Nice people!

Clemson (no thanks, we already play Bama every year and Cincinnati proved you just have to have 1 or 2 quality wins and no losses to be considered the top 4)
UNC (good recruiting exposure, solid team)
Texas (Real UT trophy, recruiting)
West Virginia (Similar folks to East Tennesseans. Could be the Mountain Moonshine Medal, Ohio area recruiting exposure)
GaTech (Old school SEC team, its kind of like ND of the south, and its proximity to ATL lot of our kids family could attend.)
A college in the DMV market, maybe Maryland or UVA.
I have always thought scheduling Hawaii would be a great recruiting tool in itself. So why not make it an annual rival?

UCLA would be a good because of the West Coast exposure. North Carolina would also be a real good one when it comes to recruiting because of how much talent the state of NC puts out. Just one for thought would be Nebraska I think that could be a good game because of the history of both teams.

It was great seeing Tommy(T-bone)West,Steve (Sess)Poole,Larry(club)Seivers,and so many others from back in the day.All were guys who came down to the Lap(Last Lap).Good people all.

Outside of Georgia Tech (which to me is hard to get excited about) CLEMSON is the closest big time potential rival IMO. Not sure why they aren't one already. VT I would say would be next.

Clemson is closer than any SEC team outside of Vandy & UK (if I am not mistaken).

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I would pick the University of Southern California. A big-name program I never really liked growing up. I then found out they ended our streak of 17 regular-season shutouts (71 consecutive shutout quarters) by beating us in the 1940 Rose Bowl 14-0, which sealed the deal on my dislike for them. It would be a good road trip for our players and could provide more inroads into recruiting in the Golden State.

For selfish reasons, I would like to see IU and then possibly ND...but that's just so I could get an extra game in every year. 😁

The realistic side of me would like to see the games with UCLA start back up or revisit the series with Oregon or some other team out in the Western recruiting areas.

VN Store

Back