NOMFW

lvocd

Hope everyone had a good Christmas/Hanukkah season, and that you'll think about doing something positive and unselfish for someone today in honor of Dr. King.

Stepping away from LV world for a little bit only made it crystal clear to me that there has never been, in the history of Tennessee Lady Vol basketball, a more serious need for NOMFW players than is true right now.

Unless they want the crushing distinction of being the first Tennessee team to ever miss the NCAA Tournament, they'd better get their @sses together, away from the staff, and hash out/decide/determine/resolve/dedicate/promise/swear on all that's holy on The Hill and the ghost of Pat Head Summitt and every Lady Vol who went before them, that they WILL NOT LET THAT HAPPEN. Every single one of them needs to spend any spare time they have together, in the gym on their own, helping each other to get better, stronger, faster, more accurate, more confident ... and they need to look at each other, every day, with every ounce of sincerity in their hearts and minds and make this their mantra for the rest of the season:

Not. On. My. Fv*ki*g. Watch.

"Not on my fv*ki*g watch will TENNESSEE be left out of the NCAA Tournament!"

That is all.

GO LADY VOLS!

They need to win 4 of the next six games, four of which are road games, then go no worse than 2-3 in the brutal 5 game season ending stretch run. That is the absolute minimum required, it would put them at 16-11 heading into the SEC tourney where they would need 2 wins to be 18-12 at which point they would be in the tourney.

I posted all of this on another thread already, but an 18 win UT team will not be left out of the tourney. A 17 win UT would be too close to call this year in particular, lots of good teams. Of course, should they knock off SC or LSU at TBA or make a deep SEC tourney run again then things change. But anything less than 4-2 in the next six games would be problematic to say the least. In the end, UT’s extremely tough schedule this season will end up helping as it will be a boost to their NET compared to most other teams.

If I had to place odds on UT making the tourney right now I would still place them high as of today. Next six games……..

*posted same thoughts on LV News thread, sorry for duplicate stuff, but posted in case some don’t read all threads.

Last edited:
Hope everyone had a good Christmas/Hanukkah season, and that you'll think about doing something positive and unselfish for someone today in honor of Dr. King.

Stepping away from LV world for a little bit only made it crystal clear to me that there has never been, in the history of Tennessee Lady Vol basketball, a more serious need for NOMFW players than is true right now.

Unless they want the crushing distinction of being the first Tennessee team to ever miss the NCAA Tournament, they'd better get their @sses together, away from the staff, and hash out/decide/determine/resolve/dedicate/promise/swear on all that's holy on The Hill and the ghost of Pat Head Summitt and every Lady Vol who went before them, that they WILL NOT LET THAT HAPPEN. Every single one of them needs to spend any spare time they have together, in the gym on their own, helping each other to get better, stronger, faster, more accurate, more confident ... and they need to look at each other, every day, with every ounce of sincerity in their hearts and minds and make this their mantra for the rest of the season:

That is all.

GO LADY VOLS!
If we don't make it a house cleaning is coming. Even if we do it could happen. I said they needed to go 3 and 2 in this next five games with four being on the road. Now they need to go 3 and 1. Very poor effort yesterday from almost every player.

If we don't make it a house cleaning is coming. Even if we do it could happen. I said they needed to go 3 and 2 in this next five games with four being on the road. Now they need to go 3 and 1. Very poor effort yesterday from almost every player.
And very poor from every coach. People at the game commented from the start how flat the bench was.

And very poor from every coach. People at the game commented from the start how flat the bench was.
Maybe they are ready to move on out of Tennessee certainly appeared that way yesterday. One poster said most of the players were sick maybe the coaches were too. A lot of worry about making the NCAA this year and rightfully so. My worry is much more pronounced about the program and where it is headed. Make the NCAA or not I just have to wonder do we need to keep going down this path or do we need to go in a totally different direction. I like Kellie as a person VFL forever, but I am really concerned that she has any ability to ever get Tennessee to a top ten program again. Make the NCAA or not doesn't look like were going anywhere this season. Our roster is probably top 35 in the country at best.

Last edited:
If they had a center that was 6'4 or 6'5 with athletic ability and that could run it would be different this year. Also a true pg that can hit the 3..then you would really have something ..just my opinion..Key and Hollingsworth aint it...no true pg either with a decent 25ft shot...

I believe the coach has read the handwriting on the wall and knows that her career at Tennessee as a coach is soon to be over. I loved her as a player but she ain't the coach we need. I believe everyone in the locker room realizes this also. JMHO..

GO VOLS!!!!

Reactions: GlennTenn

That is all.

GO LADY VOLS!
Welcome back @lvocd!

I have been worried about you. The emptiness created by your absence is much different than the loss of say Darth. Dare I go there.

I hate to be negative about a program that i have spent most of my adult life following. But hopefully my criticism is taken as intended and not as some misguided tome about how you must clean house to get better. Program changes are sometimes required but I do not think we are there yet. However, AD White has dismissed a head coach each of his first two years. This year he has quietly said good by to his deputy and hired the former Auburn AD. AD White spent his first two years of ad work as a coach, so, I trust he understands the challenges.

If in an advisory role to Tennessee, I would suggest reevaluating what is our identify. Until yesterday, I would have said rebounding, but to do that is an insult to past Tennessee teams. Also we simply can't play man to man defense. We don't have the foot speed are length to hedge on ball screens at the top of the key. That allows down hill dribble drives, putting us into defensive rotations which once again we don't have the length or foot speed to execute. T.V. analysis said yesterday we were in scramble mode the entire game.

Auburn, LSU, SC and even Florida have a clear identity. We do not, hence the erratic play in the stretch. If asked for my opinion, (which only coaches are allowed to give) I would shorten the bench and stop the momentum killing NHL line changes. Much like Coach Barnes, I would fine five players who can play defense. I would put Jackson on the block and tell the other four players if she doesn't touch the ball on every possession you will sit. Jackson did not put her life on hold for a year, waiting on adults with power to make a coherent decision.

Welcome back @lvocd!

I have been worried about you. The emptiness created by your absence is much different than the loss of say Darth. Dare I go there.

I hate to be negative about a program that i have spent most of my adult life following. But hopefully my criticism is taken as intended and not as some misguided tome about how you must clean house to get better. Program changes are sometimes required but I do not think we are there yet. However, AD White has dismissed a head coach each of his first two years. This year he has quietly said good by to his deputy and hired the former Auburn AD. AD White spent his first two years of ad work as a coach, so, I trust he understands the challenges.

If in an advisory role to Tennessee, I would suggest reevaluating what is our identify. Until yesterday, I would have said rebounding, but to do that is an insult to past Tennessee teams. Also we simply can't play man to man defense. We don't have the foot speed are length to hedge on ball screens at the top of the key. That allows down hill dribble drives, putting us into defensive rotations which once again we don't have the length or foot speed to execute. T.V. analysis said yesterday we were in scramble mode the entire game.

Auburn, LSU, SC and even Florida have a clear identity. We do not, hence the erratic play in the stretch. If asked for my opinion, (which only coaches are allowed to give) I would shorten the bench and stop the momentum killing NHL line changes. Much like Coach Barnes, I would fine five players who can play defense. I would put Jackson on the block and tell the other four players if she doesn't touch the ball on every possession you will sit. Jackson did not put her life on hold for a year, waiting on adults with power to make a coherent decision.
Good post, pointing out some of the weakness's does not make you a negavol. Kellie's multi-player substitutions have been head scratchers from day 1. Agree, they seem to be made at the worst time and either kill momentum and or create erratic play. Apparently she does not see it that way.

Last edited:
I only watched a few minutes of the A&M game during the 2nd quarter. A very distinct lack of hustle was evident. I haven't watched much of the Lady Vols this season, so won't post anything critical, other than what I observed in about 10 minutes.

I had hopes that Coach Harper would be an improvement over Coach Warlick, but unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. If they make a change after this season, it needs to be a home run hire.

Reactions: Sportslady
Only have one championship caliber player in Jackson,and she was a transfer.If you can't recruit top 10 players consistently you are backing up!

I disagree whole-heartedly
We have championship caliber players in
Jewel SPear
Rickea Jackson
Jasmine Powell
Tamari Key
Jillian Hollingshead
(Talaysia Cooper)

And role players in
Tess Darby
Karoline Striplin
Sara Puckett
Destinee Wells

What we don't have is a coach with SEC vision
Kellie is still coaching this team as if it was in the MVCconference

Featuring "individual talents" and incorporating a "team" around them wins in the SEC

Kellie is doing it backwards in trying to incorporate an individual talent into a "team"

We don't run plays for our elite players
We give them the ball as a last option not as a designed play
That even goes for our role-players...
example: Tess can knock down a 3 if it is not contested,,,when was the last time you saw a designed play to open up her for a shot?

Hate to say it but Kellie, unless she contracts someone on her staff with the cochungas to talk to her without fear...Will go the way of Holly.
Holly surrounded herself with "yes men" and anyone with a vision or opinion that didn't coincide with hers was dismissed.
Watch what happens after this season.
If Kellie is retained, there will be a change in her assistant staff.

Maybe they are ready to move on out of Tennessee certainly appeared that way yesterday. One poster said most of the players were sick maybe the coaches were too. A lot of worry about making the NCAA this year and rightfully so. My worry is much more pronounced about the program and where it is headed. Make the NCAA or not I just have to wonder do we need to keep going down this path or do we need to go in a totally different direction. I like Kellie as a person VFL forever, but I am really concerned that she has any ability to ever get Tennessee to a top ten program again. Make the NCAA or not doesn't look like were going anywhere this season. Our roster is probably top 35 in the country at best.
They will not make the NCAAs unless they become much more aggressive on offense and defense. Key still is a problem on offense and defense. She is stationary on defense and fouls because of it. She mishandles passes on offense and loses the ball when she attempts to dribble. On our zone defense, the players stand anround and do not guard their area until the offensive player has already into their offensive play. They can not cover offensive players in the corners and the side and one of the two is always open for an open three. They commit reach-in fouls in the lane instead of blocking the lane as well as let players go under the basket for reverse lay ups. I realize that many of our players are not as athletic as many of the players on other teams, but that is because they are our best three point shooters. If they are not sinking the threes, our offense is pretty stagnant.
If we are not super active on offense and defense, we don’t have good odds of winning games against the better teams in the SEC or in thr NCAAsif they make it that far. I am usually a huge supporter of The Lady VOLs, but I see some real problems that are costing us playing at the level required to progress into season tournaments, unless their style of play does not change.

Reactions: Sportslady
They will not make the NCAAs unless they become much more aggressive on offense and defense. Key still is a problem on offense and defense. She is stationary on defense and fouls because of it. She mishandles passes on offense and loses the ball when she attempts to dribble. On our zone defense, the players stand anround and do not guard their area until the offensive player has already into their offensive play. They can not cover offensive players in the corners and the side and one of the two is always open for an open three. They commit reach-in fouls in the lane instead of blocking the lane as well as let players go under the basket for reverse lay ups. I realize that many of our players are not as athletic as many of the players on other teams, but that is because they are our best three point shooters. If they are not sinking the threes, our offense is pretty stagnant.
If we are not super active on offense and defense, we don’t have good odds of winning games against the better teams in the SEC or in thr NCAAsif they make it that far. I am usually a huge supporter of The Lady VOLs, but I see some real problems that are costing us playing at the level required to progress into season tournaments, unless their style of play does not change.
Definitely not promising, but games still have to be played. We get our answers in the next few weeks. If she can find 6 wins NCAA looks likely as Bama had a 8 and 11 Q1 and Q2 record last season and got an 8 seed. Six wins gives us a 9 and 12 so that looks like an 8 seed for us this season. Last year we were 15 amd 12 in Q1 and Q 2 and got a four seed.

I disagree whole-heartedly
We have championship caliber players in
Jewel SPear
Rickea Jackson
Jasmine Powell
Tamari Key
Jillian Hollingshead
(Talaysia Cooper)

And role players in
Tess Darby
Karoline Striplin
Sara Puckett
Destinee Wells

What we don't have is a coach with SEC vision
Kellie is still coaching this team as if it was in the MVCconference

Featuring "individual talents" and incorporating a "team" around them wins in the SEC

Kellie is doing it backwards in trying to incorporate an individual talent into a "team"

We don't run plays for our elite players
We give them the ball as a last option not as a designed play
That even goes for our role-players...
example: Tess can knock down a 3 if it is not contested,,,when was the last time you saw a designed play to open up her for a shot?

Hate to say it but Kellie, unless she contracts someone on her staff with the cochungas to talk to her without fear...Will go the way of Holly.
Holly surrounded herself with "yes men" and anyone with a vision or opinion that didn't coincide with hers was dismissed.
Watch what happens after this season.
If Kellie is retained, there will be a change in her assistant staff.

I think this team features RJ plenty. Texas A&M gets credit for doing a better job of what Florida tried to do.

Jackson and Spear went 9 for 25 (combined) = 36% which is also what the team shot.

If you look RJ's misses, several were at the rim where she missed (maybe she was getting fouled and did not get the call) and she also missed some open mid range shots which are usually her bread and butter.

On the pluss side, Spear was 3 for 5 from the 3 pt. line but could not do much in the paint because of TA&M size.

I think the mistake Kellie made was trying to play "LV basketball" against a team that is built to defend that style quite well.

For the LVs to play head to head in the paint with Texas AM, they would need RJ to be lights out and a LOT more from Jillian and Key but that strategy still puts the LVS in the eye of the proverbial storm.

What I wanted to see mid 3rd quarter, when it became very clear that the LVs were not making headway getting back in the game, was to starting letting our perimiter players like Spear, Puckett, Powell, Darby all let em rip from 3 and hope that RJ and Hollingshead could snare some of the long rebounds.

On several occassions, Puckett passed up an open three to drive into the paint for a forced shot or a TO. She was 2-4 from beyond the arc so the % trajectories for she and Spear seemed promising and spreading the floor would have created more space for RJ.

I get the sense that Kellie just does not prepare the team for a plan B outside shooting option. Her go-to adjustments seem to be tweaking defenses and just trying to get more effort from players.

And that approach worked in the first 3 games but coming in, Kellie was clearly worried about Texas A&M size and athleticism. TA&M had a physical advantage for most of the "in the paint" match-ups.

And last but not least, Texas A&M really capitalized on Powell and Wynn's tendencies to over dribble. Our best offensive sets were the few occassions that the team moved the ball quickly and decisively.

There is a lot to be learned from the game. The question is whether those potential lessons will be translated into growth.

This game is a crossroad game because there are several teams in the SEC that are built like Texas A&M. If Kellie can't crack this code, the season could go sideways.

The "Rickea will save us with a 30-15-5 game" whenever needed strategy is not sustainable.

Last edited:

That is all.

GO LADY VOLS!
Am I the only one whi will admit I have no idea what NOMFW stands for

VN Store

Back