Nobody gives the O line enough credit

As the season has progressed so has the O line. We have some grown men who are handling business and it often goes unnoticed. If you look at what they have gone up against in the nation's best pass rushers this season they have not only succeeded but DOMINATED. Ojulari was a non factor against LSU and we handled business against Will Anderson and Turner as well as Floridas D line. Not only have they protected Hooker but they have also allowed us to become 2 dimensional in our offense to beat teams up who want to try and drop linebackers into coverage. I really think our O line doesn't get the credit they deserve and I think they will win us the game this Saturday because we WILL BE ABLE TO RUN THE FOOTBALL AND FORCE UGA TO STOP IT!!! They are nervous and they are about to get hit in the mouth.

Line play on both sides will be big again this weekend. Just need to hold their own and not get blown up and we win.

I don't think it's gone unnoticed. We've had o-lineman be named SEC o-lineman of the week a few times this season. Seems like somebody got it twice.

Reactions: butchna
Not sure I'd say nobody gives them enough credit. I have heard several talking heads gushing over them and the way Wright has dominated some of the big names in the league. I'm also in Illinois and have several people who follow BIG10 football mention that both of our lines are playing big boy football and the O-line is dominant and does whatever they want. An O-line will rarely make the highlight reels because their play isn't as exciting as the guy with the ball but they are definitely getting recognized.

Reactions: lifeisdeep
O line is one of the units where luck/opportunity has the lowest effect. Secondary might get lucky on a hit or tipped ball and receivers may have a busted coverage or someone fall down. When/if your O line is solid they affect the game greatly EVERY play. It’s why we are running so much more effectively and why our short yardage is so good (anyone remember how bad it was last year?). It’s also why we can throw so many deep balls - the threat of the run and great protection. Great line play travels well - it’s one of the main reasons I feel like we have a great chance to beat Georgia.

Nobody gives them credit??? SNARL!! And after I spent time creating avatars of them in front of Neyland? I'd strangle you, but since you wear the orange, I'll let it slide this time. ;)

The Offensive line is one of those groups who you only notice when they’re doing bad. Like a bass player in a band. When they’re doing good you don’t even realize they’re out there. It’s the most thankless, yet one of the most important jobs on the team. No line means no offense. We wouldn’t be where we are right now without them. Not even close.

OP I totally agree. While this team is greatly improved, much of it is due to the difference in our O-line and D-line play. Those big guys are steamrolling their competition. Props to the BIG UGLIES! Go VOLS!

Last edited:
If our O-line only handles UGA's D-line as well as they did Bama, this game will likely not be close and we win going away. Considering Bama had Will Anderson and they have no one on that level playing Saturday, I like our chances on that front.

If we're able to run the ball effectively, we win in a blowout.

Maybe not discussed enough, but definitely noticed! Elarbee has done a great job with this group:
Mincey/Crawford, Carvin, Mays, Spraggins, Wright
should be household names for Vol fans. SEC lineman of the week has come from this group on 3 occasions this year. Wright is probably at least a 2nd round NFL guy and Carvin will get his shot too. Others should be back for another good year next year. Amazing what commitment and good coaching can do.

I’ve said all year they are the mvp, playing extremely good football

VN Store

Back