No one is talking about...

Other_Guy

foolishFool
Listening to many previews of the game, both Tenn homers and others, very few are mentioning Dee Williams as a potential major key player in this game.

Given the way both offenses have come out of the gate it's possible that there could be plenty of punts and field position playing a role. Obviously this would include the punters/kickers (and I dont know anything about Florida's guys) but I honestly see Florida having to punt several times and I really do think that if Tenn's offense continues to struggle some that Williams is going to be the X factor and change the game.

That's why despite the struggles, despite the Swamp I think ST comes up big.

With as fast as he is, I could see him at WR. I'm sure there's a reason why he's not there but I'd love to see it play out!

I know you’re talking about the returners, but here are the kicking stats:

Florida’s punter is averaging 46.2 yards per punt on 5 punts, Tennessee’s is averaging 39 yards per punt, on 9 punts.

Florida’s FG kicker is 1/2, Tennessee’s is 3/3.

Florida has not had any long punt or kick returns of note, but both are two of the best players; Pearsall returning punts, Etienne returning kicks.

I'm more concerned with our punter in an away SEC stadium. I think its only a matter of time until he is blocked and expect Florida to try everything they can to gain a edge. I could see them throwing the kitchen sink at our punter, hoping the pressure can at least caude him to shank his punts.

Last edited:
I'm more concerned with our punter in an away SEC stadium. I think its only a matter of time until he is blocked and expect Florida to try everything they can to gain an edge. I could see them throwing the kitchen sink at our punter, hoping the pressure can at least caude him to shank his pints.
I wouldn’t be shocked to see him run for a first down in this game on a fake

Florida’s punter is averaging 46.2 yards per punt on 5 punts, Tennessee’s is averaging 39 yards per punt, on 9 punts.

Florida has not had any long punt or kick returns of note, but both are two of the best players; Pearsall returning punts, Etienne returning kicks.
Thanks for this!

Reactions: Smokey19rt and Jaws
I'm more concerned with our punter in an away SEC stadium. I think its only a matter of time until he is blocked and expect Florida to try everything they can to gain a edge. I could see them throwing the kitchen sink at our punter, hoping the pressure can at least caude him to shank his punts.

I think FL will go for it on most 4th downs and not be punting so the return game will not be as important as in most games.

Reactions: LTVol
I'm more concerned with our punter in an away SEC stadium. I think its only a matter of time until he is blocked and expect Florida to try everything they can to gain a edge. I could see them throwing the kitchen sink at our punter, hoping the pressure can at least caude him to shank his pints.

This. FL will come after the punter as he takes too long. Or, he may shank one.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Listening to many previews of the game, both Tenn homers and others, very few are mentioning Dee Williams as a potential major key player in this game.

Given the way both offenses have come out of the gate it's possible that there could be plenty of punts and field position playing a role. Obviously this would include the punters/kickers (and I dont know anything about Florida's guys) but I honestly see Florida having to punt several times and I really do think that if Tenn's offense continues to struggle some that Williams is going to be the X factor and change the game.

That's why despite the struggles, despite the Swamp I think ST comes up big.
I did hear on one talk show that Dee Williams might return some punts because the Florida punter out kicks his coverage which can allow Williams to return punts easier. Hope it happens.

Make Pearsall and Etienne non-factors and the Vols will win the game

You can say that again.

Being hard to block is literally the advantage to rugby punting. Being ambidextrous makes it even harder. Not saying it can't happen but I don't see it as a forgone conclusion.

Tennesse has had 2 long punts this year. the rest travel 25 yds before they leave the field of play. I thought I was gonna catch one last week at the AP game. I was on the 45 yd line row 38.

Reactions: Smokey19rt and Jaws
I think FL will go for it on most 4th downs and not be punting so the return game will not be as important as in most games.
Agreed. That’s why it’s important for TN when they get Florida in 3rd and 10 situations, not to give up 8 or 9 yds like last year making their 4th down tries manageable. It was maddening watching us give up long 3rd downs in Neyland last year.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Punters are usually an afterthought but that damn punter of Georgia's killed us last year with that 75 yard punt he had. It changed the game. Like the General said:

"Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made."

We might see less of that going for it on 4th this year if our offense is less proficient. Some teams last year thought they had to take risks to keep the ball. Because they couldn't stop us. If teams are more confident in getting stops, they'll take fewer risks. We'll have a much better idea what we have come midnight tomorrow.

VN Store

Back