No Football Playoff expansion until at least 2025

No, I'm not saying they were greedy. They had an opportunity to increase their income and did so.

The NCAA and the schools, as bama said, are one in the same. If the NCAA (more specifically, some schools within the NCAA) proposed a "salary cap" that limited the amount of money they could bring in, all the big money schools would have left the very next day. It's akin to a company putting a cap on employee salaries and some employees not liking it and leaving. It would not have solved anything and, in fact, would have likely already led to the creation of an alternate league that allowed for the bigger TV contracts, paying players, etc.

Once these amounts of money entered the picture (and again, that's because of fans like you and me and nobody else), the idea of college sports as this quaint little institution where people played "for the love of the game" and "it wasn't about money" went out the door.
As Bama also brought up, the NCAA/schools had decades to start to handle the issues of the schools making big money and the players not getting compensated and chose to lean on the "not about the money" and "the education is enough" line.

That's greed. The schools, owning the company, chose to not even try to compensate the players reasonably "because it's college and tradition and we don't want to ruin playing for 'the love of UT football'" while their profits went higher and higher.

It looks like greed to me.

Reactions: Popcorn
There is a great passage in 1984 when O'Brien tells Winston Smith that the world has basically crystalized into the current structure. That history was a series of wheel turns when the have nots would revolt, seize power, then slowly be overthrown as the wheel turned again. O'Brien tells Smith that the wheel turned one last time, putting The Party and Big Brother in power, and then stopped dead in its tracks.

This has happened in college football, and a 4-team playoff makes it even more possible. Unfortunately, Tennessee was not a 'have' when it crystalized, and I doubt we ever really get back there in this current structure. @bamawriter is completely understandable wanting the 4 team system to remain. The Gumps are in power, why upset it? If you are a Tennessee fan and support the current structure, you're either nuts or are happy with being a mediocre program looking up to the big powers.

Expand the field, and you open up the structure a bit. It's not a fix-all, as between the conference structures, NIL, and other factors it is harder than ever to rebuild a program. But it would help.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
But it's not in issue of leadership. The NCAA were digging in their heels on paying players because that's exactly what the schools wanted them to do. Everyone, from the top down, fought this tooth and nail.
I can't see how it's not leadership when a leader could've seen this before the NIL case and the SCOTUS basically said it's over. It's not like the schools couldn't afford lawyers to fight and those lawyers surely told them "the jig is up" at some point.

The schools had decades, as you said, but no leadership to try to modify the situation except to sign bigger contracts, pay coaches more, and fight every opportunity for players to share the pie.

I can't see how it's not leadership when a leader could've seen this before the NIL case and the SCOTUS basically said it's over. It's not like the schools couldn't afford lawyers to fight and those lawyers surely told them "the jig is up" at some point.

The schools had decades, as you said, but no leadership to try to modify the situation except to sign bigger contracts, pay coaches more, and fight every opportunity for players to share the pie.

I guess that where you're seeing a lack of leadership I'm seeing a leadership that's in lockstep with it members.

I guess that where you're seeing a lack of leadership I'm seeing a leadership that's in lockstep with it members.
Leadership that destroys the business IS leadership, I suppose.

Realistically, we, as fans of "the way it's always been," would've been at the admin buildings of schools with pitchforks and torches if they'd suggested paying players.

I guess we ALL are getting what we deserve.

Reactions: Raebo
Leadership that destroys the business IS leadership, I suppose.

Realistically, we, as fans of "the way it's always been," would've been at the admin buildings of schools with pitchforks and torches if they'd suggested paying players.

I guess we ALL are getting what we deserve.

I can't relate. I've been a proponent of paying players for years. I'm totally okay with recent events.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
I can't relate. I've been a proponent of paying players for years. I'm totally okay with recent events.
I'm not optimistic that the NCAA/schools aren't so opposed to paying players that they'll do something incredibly stupid like threaten to just shutter their programs when the courts rule players are employees.

I also am concerned that lower level schools won't have the money to pay players and will actually shutter programs. I'm unsure legally a case can be made that playing football for Sewanee is legally different than playing football for Alabama and I'm doubtful lots of programs can afford to pay players.

It seems perilous that the courts would make a legal distinction for a football business that makes money vs one that doesn't. Playing football in college is remarkably similar, I'm sure, whether the program is economically successful or not.

THAT would change the lives of lots of folks who aren't high level athletes but could play at lesser schools.

There were three obstacles that prevented expansion, CFP board chair Mark Keenum told Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger.

The first was the format of eight teams versus twelve, and whether or not teams should auto-qualify for winning a conference championship.

The second was the number of extra games that teams would have to play in a given season.

The third?

“We've got a bowl with a keen interest in preserving their date & time. That’s part of the negotiating package with a media provider. Does that add value or cost value for the College Football Playoff?” Keenum asked.

The bowl that Keenum is alluding to is the Rose Bowl, as sources previously discussed with Ross Dellenger.

The Rose Bowl is interested in keeping its scheduled date and time of mid-afternoon on January 1st. But in an ideal College Football Playoff expansion, the Rose Bowl would presumably be in the rotation to host a quarterfinal or semifinal game, which would not take place on January 1st.

There were three obstacles that prevented expansion, CFP board chair Mark Keenum told Sports Illustrated's Ross Dellenger.

The first was the format of eight teams versus twelve, and whether or not teams should auto-qualify for winning a conference championship.

The second was the number of extra games that teams would have to play in a given season.

The third?

“We've got a bowl with a keen interest in preserving their date & time. That’s part of the negotiating package with a media provider. Does that add value or cost value for the College Football Playoff?” Keenum asked.

The bowl that Keenum is alluding to is the Rose Bowl, as sources previously discussed with Ross Dellenger.

The Rose Bowl is interested in keeping its scheduled date and time of mid-afternoon on January 1st. But in an ideal College Football Playoff expansion, the Rose Bowl would presumably be in the rotation to host a quarterfinal or semifinal game, which would not take place on January 1st.

The Rose Bowl back on their Bull$hit

Jefferson Pilot and the three Dave’s were a national treasure with those 11am CST kickoffs between Vanderbilt and Mississippi State,
The 3 Dave’s were the story. You didn’t tune in to see mediocre teams in 480p . You tuned in to see 3 mediocre guys named Dave on the same broadcast shot from someone’s first generation iPhone .

Reactions: WestTennesseeVol
The 3 Dave’s were the story. You didn’t tune in to see mediocre teams in 480p . You tuned in to see 3 mediocre guys named Dave on the same broadcast shot from someone’s first generation iPhone .
Wasn't Kesling a sideline reporter for JP at one point?

With a 4 team playoff, the season still matters. You have to win games to get into the CFP. Expand to an 8 team playoff and there's no need for an SECCG. Who wants that?
So you don’t think the regular season would matter to more teams if there were 8 or 12 teams trying to make the CFP? What if teams are trying to get a CFP game on their home field instead of having to travel across the country or having to play in Ann Arbor or Columbus in December ? I think a CFP expansion would bring a greater interest for more teams later in the season .

Reactions: Raebo
With a 4 team playoff, the season still matters. You have to win games to get into the CFP. Expand to an 8 team playoff and there's no need for an SECCG. Who wants that?
The season/conference title games still matter, just not for the teams who will already have their spot sealed. In fact the number of teams the season would matter more for would increase, it just wouldn't be the top teams.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Well expect two SEC teams to be in the 4 team playoff going forward probaly Georgia and Bama and us not even remotely sniffing it

VN Store

Back